Station approach - new toilet

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Sydenham

Re: Station approach - new toilet

Post by Sydenham »

So Sydenham is looking not just for any old artist - but a piss artist. There must be a few of those about.
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

Sydenham wrote:So Sydenham is looking not just for any old artist - but a piss artist. There must be a few of those about.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
somerandombloke

Post by somerandombloke »

Sydenham wrote:So Sydenham is looking not just for any old artist - but a piss artist. There must be a few of those about.

*raises pint of Proseco*
JRW

Post by JRW »

I think it has been placed where it is in an ill-thought-through attempt to stop people using it to climb into the station to graffiti it. Look at the pathetic attempt at security fencing behind it on the wall. Of course, it would have been better to do the fencing properly, and site the block against the wall.

For screening, rather than the lovely climbing plants suggested, perhaps some defensive gardening? Pyracantha is slow growing (so needs less maintenance), has great spikes and attractive berries. Basically, any attractive plants with thorns like razor wire would do the job nicely. Only the area immediately around the door needs to be thorn free.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

JRW wrote: Only the area immediately around the door needs to be thorn free.
Indeed. People might be in a hurry, and one can't be too careful about pricks.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I happened to be passing by when an elderly gentleman with a walking stick tried to gain access to the toilet without success. (Clearly he couldn't exactly run to another location.) The paving was finished and all cleared away three weeks ago, so what is stopping it from being operational?

To avoid speculation, I took a closer look on my way back. None of the operational lights are lit; there seems to be no money slot nor indication that coins are needed (so I guess it's not collecting cash). The only "button" is one which says "Open Door". A label refers to a "radar system" but I've no idea what that is.

@ JRW: I don't understand potentially using the box to climb over into the station as there's a drop of about 10 feet behind the station retaining wall, unless graffiti people come with grappling hooks and abseil rope ;)

Anyway, bottom line is that it's not operational yet.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Presumably RADAR system is the disabled toilet access system?

Don't like these "community toilet" schemes. You probably know they've got them all over Penge now, which is fine, *if* the relevant building happens to be open at the time. For example, on Sundays when Sainsbury's is only legally allowed to open for 6 hours and the library isn't open, it's not much use.
mosy

Post by mosy »

@ alywin or others: How can toilets like this not be open 24/7 if automated?

I also wondered what leenewham's maintenance costs (estimated re similar ones) covered as I thought these new sort were meant to be self-cleaning? I could easily foresee high running costs (water/elec usage) so do these boxes still need people to come and clean them regularly?

You wouldn't think loos were rocket science, but perhaps they are...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

My Maintenance costs are fairly low, just ask my wife.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Don't need to. Example, my son (when little) said I spent loads on myself as it was only yesterday that I'd bought sandpaper (which obviously wasn't for him). Says it all really. High maintenance long gone ;)

But I was thinking more about loo maintenance costs *she says unnecessarily*.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Sandpaper? That's a bit harsh.

Your son got the triple ply I presume?

;-)

I'll bog off now.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Bye leenewham. Sorry to looz you for now.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Tardis? More like a TURDis...those too Penny-pinching (puns intended) to use will surely relieve themselves in the gap behind it.
Glad to see that Turdis had been adopted...my claim to fame :lol:
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

This is a prime example of the Anus Horriblis that Sydenhan is suffering re construction/ destruction. Maybe Lewisham should sort out their Planning talent (or lack of it) and stop bog papering over their cracks!
It stinks!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hard to disagree. However, on the upside, I have noticed that the "gap" (between loo & station wall) hasn't become a rubbish dump (as the rear of the Greyhound/flats was at one time), so at least the Turdis illogically placed and non-operational so far is just itself, i.e. hasn't escalated into something even worse.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

How do you insert a picture from your phone please?
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

I wanted to post a few pictures of the toilet to point out a big safety issue.
1. The street light is behind the toilet (Station side) whilst the entrance will be in darkness come the Winter.
2. The Entrance is not around the front in full sight of passers but on the side and the space behind the toilet is a Muggers hideyhole

I would be very wary of using it after dark as you are likely to get mugged....or worse...if you are a woman as the perpetrator could take you inside !!!

I really think this is a huge issue for the Council to address.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks for drawing that to our attention Steveofsyd. The safety issue is one I hadn't considered about the hidey-hole, surprisingly since I was mugged years ago by someone jumping out from a doorway I was passing near Hither Green Lane. MInd you, on that basis, it wouldn't make much difference if one were even intending to use the toilet = just need to be walking past it ether to or from the station. If looked at from that standpoint, even if the hidey-hole was blocked off, someone could still lurk in front or behind it. It just emphasises that it should never have been plonked there in the first place.

As there was a full moon on 2 July, I'll check out the darkness aspect in two or three weeks - giving the box a wide berth!
---

I'm sorry I don't know how to post pics from a mobile. From a desktop the usual advice is to upload first through a medium (like Flickr or Photobucket) to avoid hacking back to your phone, but you'd be better off starting a thread for that in the Town Asylum forum on here which Admin and other experts are more likely to see.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

The other day I noticed a shopping trolley abandoned in the gap . I also saw a guy retreating from the gap zipping himself up, the gap is obviously being used in lieu of a loo.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Yes, the trolley is mentioned in my thread 'Lewisham Council - Thank You! Not!'