Car Tyres

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Car Tyres

Post by leenewham »

After a while without a car, we have had to succumb to getting a car again.

Where is the best place to get tyres locally?
owlwise

Re: Car Tyres

Post by owlwise »

There's the car tyre shop on the corner of the block that's opposite Home Park/Sydenham Library.
_HB

Post by _HB »

Don't do it Lee! Burn it! Get a Zipcar account....
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

_HB wrote:Don't do it Lee! Burn it! Get a Zipcar account....
I did suggest this before, although I'll admit we didn't go carless until our kids were old enough to get to school on their own, so I recognise this is harder for you. I think it would still be worth thinking about the economics of this.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I was a member of Streetcar which then became Zipcar. I left when it changed.
My nearest car is actually a van. It's a 15-20 minute walk to the nearest car from where I live in the depths of Lower Sydenham, and with a 3 year old in tow, and for a day out at the weekend, zip car doesn't really work. It's expensive for a day out too. I don't do many miles a year and all my work meetings are done using public transport. Yes, I've done the maths Tim, for how we use it, it works out cheaper to have the car, which has almost no road tax and averages about 56mpg, even around town.

If I didn't have a toddler, then I may have stayed without a car, but with location, nursery, weekends out and about and all the stuff we generally take for a day out with a toddler exploring the countryside of the summer, we got another car.

Although it's the lowest C02, best fuel economy, cleanest car we could afford for the limited funds we had and we still scoot to our sons nursery.

So having had to justify, rather bizarrely, my decision to get a car on this forum, does anyone feel like being remotely helpful by answering my rather simple question?

Where is the best place to get tyres in Sydenham? Or do I have to go to the East Dulwich Forum to get a straight answer to a straight question?
stuart

Post by stuart »

I buy them online - seems to work out cheaper. Fitted free on your own drive so no wasted time and no 'yer exhaust needs doin' upsell.

Stuart
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Unfortunately I don't have a drive either.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Last time our family wagon needed some rear boots it was at Knighton Motors for an MOT. They were able to supply and fit for a price that was not ridiculous compared to Black Circles or similar online.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

We always go to KwikFit in Sydenham Road. I don't know how they compare pricewise, but we've always found them quick, efficient, friendly and helpful.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Tyre place bottom of Adamsrill Road near to j/w Perry Vale has been there for years - father/son business always been good value in my opinion.
simon

Post by simon »

Agree with Pat, Toyo Tyres on Adamsdril Road. Consistently best price, very good service and wont try and sell tyres you don't need (a trick that Kwik Fit are always trying on). They also dispose of their old tyres responsibly, which cant be said of all Sydenham's tyre suppliers. Avoid Sydenham Tyres opposite the Library at all costs.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Many thanks.

I will check out Toyo. I wanted to use somewhere local but didn't have a good experience with one local place, which I wont mention.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I was about to say how good Sydenham Tyres, opposite the library, were.... why would you suggest to avoid them?

We had an MOT done at Halfords in the new retail park, and it needed new tyres, they suggested £75 each. We looked online, and black circles do 'no name' from about £44 - but the nearest place is on the main road between Catford and Lewisham.
I rang Sydenham Tyres and they do 'part worn' tyres at £20 fitted or new ones at £50. Different prices for different diameter wheels of course. So we had all four fitted for £200. We drove down there, he had one other person in front of me, I went and got a drink and came back 10 minutes later and they'd just finished. They only take cash though. No idea how responsible they are in getting rid of old tyres, etc, but I probably won't need any new ones (hopefully) for several years.

Branded tyres are of course more expensive than unbranded/no name tyres. Part worn are cheaper, but you don't know how worn, or where they're from, and unless you're on a very tight budget (in which case I'd suggest you probably can't afford a car anyway) - they're not worth it (in my opinion).
maestro

Post by maestro »

Assuming your car still has the original wheels, then the original tyres would have been Michelin 'Energy Saver' 195/55 R16 87v. Having owned two of that particular (2004-2009) model and two later models, I would highly recommend that you stick with exactly what the manufacturer recommends. The problem that you'll come up against is that many tyre places will sell you tyres that may fit, but they will not get the best economy from your car and neither will they last anything like as long. Michelins are extremely hard wearing and will easily cover 38-40k on the rear and 30-32k on the front. They are also low rolling resistance which is good for economy, expect to achieve mid to high fifties in traffic and mid sixties on a trip. Here is a picture of my computer display after a 319 mile motorway journey down from the Scottish Borders to Sydenham. As you can see it was only 11c outside that particular day, in summer when over 20c then high sixties was quite easy to get (I once achieved 81.2 mpg on exactly the same trip, on a very hot day and in the later model which gets better economy).

Aim to pay about £85 per tyre. Yes you can buy tyres from £30 upwards but anything else simply isn't worth it and will, overall, cost you more. I always buy my tyres in the North where they are usually cheaper than in the South, but the best deals I could find reasonably local to Sydenham on good quality branded tyres were always at Watling, on the opposite corner to Aldi in Catford.

My tips for getting the best economy are.......

1. Over inflate the tyres by 4psi, this will lessen the rolling resistance but it's not enough to be detrimental to the ride, handling or the wear of the tyre across the central section.

2. Keep your junk in the car to a minimum and only carry what is necessary.

3. Drive as smoothly as possible. Anticipate the road ahead and keep your braking to an absolute minimum. With practice you'll be able to coast up to junctions and traffic lights without touching the brake, that's the ideal way to drive to get the best economy.

4. In winter keep the cabin temperature to the minimum you can, around 20c max if possible, or less if you can tolerate it.

5. In hot weather keep the air conditioning to a minimum of 18c, or higher if you can tolerate it.
(In respect of the latter two points, every degree variation of cabin temperature has a significant impact on the amount of time the engine is running to either heat or chill the cabin, and therefore on your fuel economy.)

Anything else you need to know then PM me as I suspect everyone else will be finding this rather boring.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Ah, yes, I did indeed buy a Prius, which I have to say is amazing. It takes a while to get used to, but it's incredibly smooth, comfortable and quiet. Thanks for all the tips and advice too (both here and via PM's). I will see if I can beat your 64.5mpg, although we generally only travel with a bootful and the family in the car) and I will check the tyres to see what boots it has, although I have the Tspirit so the tyres are larger than the ones you quote.