Virgin Media

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Virgin Media

Post by Tim Lund »

They keep sending me mail shots for packages combining phone, broadband & cable TV. Any views on how good the service is locally?
stuart

Re: Virgin Media

Post by stuart »

Dunno about locally but you might want to sift through this lot:
http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=virg ... =0&psite=0

"Bad for p0rn - apparently :shock: "

Stuart
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

We've had it for years and have been pleased with it. Broadband seems pretty fast to me. Occasional outages but they usually fix them quickly. Customer service much improved since we first had it.
somerandombloke

Post by somerandombloke »

Had it for a year nothing but triuble. Outages all the time very slow when it was on. Not a big Murdoch fan but got Sky now for rhe last two years an its superb.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

We had Virgin Media for ages and had loads of problems, broadband very patchy. Switched to Sky 2 years ago with combined package and service has been much better.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I use Virgin and the speed is OK and service is usually OK - meaning I can count on one hand serious outtages (the ones that last more than an hour or so that sometimes occur after midnight) over the years. I've found that if a fault is at their end, it gets fixed pretty quickly but if specific to you, then gotta join the queue. I'd say they're reliable enough here for me to be happy to stick with them, but they ain't by any means the cheapest option. I don't buy fancy TV packages, just phone and broadband.

Plusnet was pretty good when I had it for a couple of years (via a BT line) and definitely cheaper for phone/broadband. It went wrong for some reason, hence switching to Virgin cable as BT lines seem to have a pretty bad rep in this area. I guess it's what works best where "you" are?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

On BT. Superfast and have had one (yes, just one) outtage in 15 years. Which is probably just as well, because when I've had to deal with their customer services for other reasons, it's all a bit Byzantine.
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

Used BT infinity for a few years, no issues. Easy to use etc. I hear mixed reviews on Virgin. Coincidently there is a post this eve on Penge board re Virgin issues......
Pally

Post by Pally »

Tim Lund wrote:They keep sending me mail shots for packages combining phone, broadband & cable TV. Any views on how good the service is locally?
We have that package. Very good
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

We had Virgin when we first moved in (2008).

Repeated and regular outages with the phone line....Virgin stock response was "Is it your phone?", well, no it was a brand new phone handset.... so after 3 or 4 visits (and 3 or 4 lots of p!$$ing about with work shifts in order to be in for those visits) it was established that the problem was with Virgin's infrastructure in the street and not with anything inside our flat.

And still the outages continued. And still Virgin engineers expected me to be in when they came round to fix the issues out in the street.

So I decided to cancel my contract with them.

THAT saga merits its own separate post entirely.

DON'T DO IT!!!!! .
somerandombloke

Post by somerandombloke »

Canselling the Virgin broadbnd was a piece of piss. I just told the bank to stop the direct debit and that was it. Got a stroppy call from Virgin told the guy the service was utter shite so they was gettin no more money and if they dint like it they could sue me. They didnt.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

They told me they couldn't accept a written cancellation of my contract cos they had to speak to be by phone to confirm it.... First point..... is it not standard legal and business practice to require that contracts be cancelled in writing? Not with these jokers.

Second point..... how were they supposed to ring me and speak to me about cancelling my contract on a phone line that didn't work.....