CCTv in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
LisaB

CCTv in Sydenham

Post by LisaB »

Does anyone know if we have access to the cctv footage from any of the cameras in Sydenham?
I have had some strange occurances where I live and directly opposite is a camera which looks straight onto my property. I don't want to bother the police just yet as it is more of an irritation thatn a major probelm but I would like to be able to see the cause of the disturbance.
Does anyone else think this should be public access especially if it looks right at you?
Jules

Post by Jules »

I doubt that you'd be able to see the footage live anywhere.

However you do have a legal right to have copies of any CCTV footage that you appear in. Therefore if you are walking along and spot a CCTV camera, you are able to ask for a copy of any footage that you appear in. Unfortunately you will only be allowed to have a copy if the other people who appear in the footage give thier consent. Therefore it would almost be impossible to get a copy.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Probably not much help, and these are just my thoughts:

It might not have film (apparently the Garton Road car park one hadn't when I was mugged about a year ago), and if it has, presumably they could say it hasn't.

The lens could be angled away from your property. You could presumably ask for written confirmation that it's not looking at your property as that would presumably be an invasion of privacy, although police can set up with telephoto lenses across the road if they did want to spy on you. Citizen's Advice could probably advise on that.

What about a friendly chat at a police station (or just ring them) to ask if it has been installed because they are aware of some activity? Re monitoring, as I understand it, footage is not monitored "live", so they are not much help in preventing crime.