OUR LADY & ST PHILIP NERI SCHOOL CONSULTATION

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

OUR LADY & ST PHILIP NERI SCHOOL CONSULTATION

Post by leenewham »

There are some plans to redevelop the school at the end of Fairlawn Park. They had a consultation in the school today.

It's a fairly major rebuild by the looks of it and will have a big impact on the streetscape. The whole school is moving there, so I presume the other site will be redeveloped. I'm all for better schools (although investing in teachers is key too).

No planning application has been made the design is still in a state of flux. I wasn't knocked out by what I saw, but I got the impression it was about getting feedback rather than showing final designs. The layout works but final materials and design haven't been finalised (so I was told). Planting and landscaping are key.

It's a shame this didn't happen at the same time as the road scheme as the two working together could have solved some problems. It would be nice if Fairlawn were a cup de sac again and the bombed houses which are now part of the road through to Winchester Road were houses again to cut down on the through traffic doing a rat run round the back of Home Park. This might also offset some of the extra traffic problems the school would bring, especially with the road block right outside of the road. Trying to get out of side roads in the mornings isn't easy and the flow of traffic in Lower Sydenham seems to be getting slower and slower.