DIY shop

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
poppy

DIY shop

Post by poppy »

Hi there. I was just wondering if I could start a mini campaign for locals to stay loyal to the DIY shop on the high street with the new Homebase coming to Bell Green. They are really great in there. For example: I needed plastering sand asap on Saturday and considered going there but thought they might not have it. So to 'save time' went to Homebase in Penge, which did not stock it and Jewsons was closed. On the way back I stopped at the DIY shop and they had it at a very reasonable price and put it in the boot of my car for me, without request! (unlikely to get that kind or service at Homebase, I think) A brilliant asset to the high street in my opinion and I just think it would be a shame if we all started going to Bell Green in a few months time and risk it closing down.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Or even a maxi campaign!

I'm guilty too of forgetting and going to Homebase. Despite finding Homebase hopeless and overpriced. It would have been better to have a B&Q down Bell Green if we have to have another DIY warehouse. With Downham, Homebase has a stranglehold on the area.

Everytime I have remembered I have been delighted. The website does have a policy of supporting the businesses most important to Sydenham (Kirkdale Bookshop, The Dolphin ...). I think we should add Sydenham DIY.

The only problem is if I wander in there and say SydTown wants to do a feature - they will probably have never heard of the website and think its a ploy to get advertising or something.

So if anybody would like to warm them up and let me know. Just PM me.

Admin
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I have been singing their praises for years; the shop is probably (along with Kirkdale Books) the best thing we have, and everyone should make an effort to use them, as opposed to Homebase in Penge, or the B&Q in Catford (that eveyone was getting upset about the right turn into).

They have a widget for everything, and you can buy them in ones and twos. They can also cut any size of wood.
paget76

Post by paget76 »

They are indeed very good, although parking tends to be a pain (especially now that the Greyhound is closed...). I just wish someone could convince them to buy a credit card machine!

Incidentally, Poppy, it's a Wickes in Catford - the nearest B&Q is (I think)either Greenwich or Croydon. There's no doubt that the bigger DIY stores have their place, especially for larger items, but I really can't see why Homebase want a third store in such close proximity unless it is purely to stop the competition...
poppy

DIY shop

Post by poppy »

Apparently they can even order stuff in very quickly if they don't have it.
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

They'll happily cut wooden shelves to your own design/size and deliver them locally! An excellent local store.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Another vote for Sydenham DIY. :) Very helpful and not really any more expensive I find, especially if you allow petrol cost re Penge, Downham or Catford.

Incidentally, they do take credit cards. I seem to recall they did stop for a little while, but do take them now.

Their opening hours are 8-5 Mon-Fri and 8.30-5.30 on Sat (closed Sundays). Phone number is 020 8776 7020.

I'll be going in tomorrow (Sat), so will take in a copy of this thread and ask what they think about a feature.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mosy wrote:I'll be going in tomorrow (Sat), so will take in a copy of this thread and ask what they think about a feature.
Great - scribble 020 7043 6866 on the bottom if they want to give me a call next week (office hours). Free feature to a devoted audience.

Admin
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

This is a glowing testamonial for Sydenham DIY at Cobbs Corner

I had some carpet and underlay fitted yesterday in my flat. All was well and good until i tried to shut the front door.
In Sowf Lundun speak "It weren't 'avin' it"
The carpet was now too high and was rubbing on the bottom of the door so much, that it was nigh impossible to move.
I tried to raise the front door on it's hinges, but..."It still weren't 'avin' it"

I'm no expert with a saw, so i took the door to Sydenham DIY.(there is now a convenient parking bay opposite, in the form of the entrance to the Greyhound)

They have a wide range of professional cutting gear in their back room. They managed to take 4mm off the base of the door in around 5 seconds. AND in a perfectly straight line. Total cost was £4.
Brilliant service and really friendly guys.

( and yes, the door fits an absolute treat)

AliB