Sydenham High St Stabbing

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rachael

Re: Sydenham High St Stabbing

Post by Rachael »

somerandombloke wrote:
parker wrote:
Rachael wrote:truth be told most of SE London is a dodgy, undesirable and unwanted part of the capital.
Except for those of us who love living here.
Something has gone wrong with the quote enclosure here. It looks like I said that, but I most certainly didn't!
somerandombloke

Post by somerandombloke »

Nah just me and my crap typing!!!!
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

I am so saddened by what happened the other day where three young lives were ruined on our doorstep in Sydenham. That of the death of 18 year old Nathan Murray, the murder charge of 21 year old Marley Lucas and the arrest of a 16 year old girl. We have all got to ask ourselves why this has happened and not just breathe a sigh of relief when we realise that they knew each other so that makes it okay, relax and thank god we aren't affected. The deaths of young black teens through stabbings and shootings in London have become, chillingly, a common occurrence. Our society is sick and mothers, fathers, youth workers, educators, local councilors and citizens as a whole need to address what is going wrong. This violence between these youngsters among us is heartbreaking. What brought these kids to this place? Who taught them their values? What went wrong? What could have been done to prevent this behaviour and tragedy?

My sincerest condolences go out to Nathan's family and friends.
Last edited by owlwise on 7 Jun 2015 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Owlwise

You speak a lot of sense, however puzzled why fathers have been omitted from the list of people who need to act.

Maybe they were omitted by accident
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Yes, forgive, omitted in error. Sorted.
Maria

Post by Maria »

owlwise wrote:Our society is sick
Yes, I totally agree with your brilliant post - and so does the author of a book I happen to be reading right now (Will Hutton). He calls that sickness an amoral deficit of integrity and adds:

Britain is beset by a crisis of purpose & British society is ever more fragmented and unequal; the mass of the population are more at risk and insecure than ever before – and this in a country that remains one of the richest in the world

A once great country that refused to confront the truths about itself, allowed its elites to continue with their wanton progress, shrivelled the imagination and aspirations of its citizens and, surrendering to right-wing populism, disintegrated as a coherent economic, social and political whole.

Inequality is no longer a distant concept, the concern of left wing intellectuals or Labour people.... it is a lived reality for millions, disabling their lives, breaking down trust and deepening the fissures in our society..... in London the disparity between the crowded flats where young people “hutch up” to share rooms and the extravagant super-mansions with their underground floors of private cinemas and swimming pools is now approaching the grotesque.

To your list of those who absolutely need to confront this crisis I would quite definitely add politicians... both those in power as well as the ones who shadow them.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Well said, Owlwise and Maria. My heart sank when people started talking about Sydenham house prices - this thread is not, in my view, the right place to do so.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Maria and Robin, you are both right. These kids need positive influences and high aspirations to get them away from this petty violence that has such grave consequences. Where are the positive influences? That's what we've got to ask.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Owlwise

Whilst I agree with your sentiments I would not refer to this incident as petty.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I gather there is to be a prayer meeting to remember Nathan, organised by his family, outside the Co-op at 8.00 this evening.
Alfred Adler

Post by Alfred Adler »

I just went past the site, seemed very dignified. It must be so difficult for the family. I spoke to a policeman who said that the guy charged with murder was known to Nathan. Does anyone know when the funeral is due to take place?
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Eagle, when I said petty I was referring to a lot of the reasons why these incidents occur. Not that the incident was petty, not at all.
Alfred Adler

Post by Alfred Adler »

The dignified service has been replaced by booming noise from cars and young men smoking spliff whilst the police watch from the pavement. I feel for the family when people disrespect a prayer event. Deep joy for the local residents.....
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

How sad.
JQuinn

Post by JQuinn »

Yes, when I walked up Girton Road to the high street on Tuesday night there was a large group of people standing around in the street eating and drinking and the whole area smelled of cannabis, presumably because a lot of the people there were smoking it. It crossed my mind to phone the police (smoking cannabis is actually illegal, not that you'd think it given that people just smoke it in the street with impunity), but I thought it was a bit hard on those who were mourning in a lawful fashion to call the police to deal with those who were smoking. However, I'm really not sure that using illegal drugs in the street is the most appropriate way of marking a murder.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

It would hardly be proportionate and would probably be counter-productive to have numerous police officers wading into a crowd of mourners to make arrests for cannabis possession: you'd probably start a riot and have more issues on your hands.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

By all accounts this was not a mourning in the accepted sense. They seemed to be creating a disturbance. We have places of worship for that.

Surely indulging in illegal drugs is illegal at ALL TIMES.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Yes. It is illegal at all times but are you seriously suggesting it's worth precipitating a riot for the sake of a bit of cannabis?

Police have discretion when it comes to executing their duties: it is neither feasible nor desirable to enforce all laws all of the time.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Eagle: Hearses park on double yellow lines. Would you ticket them?
Please keep some perspective on such a tragic event and the people involved - even if their lifestyle is anathema to many of us. Its good at least one policeman can.

Stuart