PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

coll
Posts: 186
Joined: 17 Oct 2007 15:55
Location: sydenham

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by coll » 24 Aug 2017 07:25

I love the place but agree there is always something odd with pricing. Plus the staff seem misrable/angry.
I have also noticed that they will charge for a carrier bag. From what I understand smaller businesses aren't meant to be charging. I asked once just after the policy came in about 5p bags. They shrugged it off in the same way.

Parker1970
Posts: 404
Joined: 4 Nov 2014 22:36
Location: Kirkdale

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by Parker1970 » 24 Aug 2017 10:16

coll wrote: I have also noticed that they will charge for a carrier bag. From what I understand smaller businesses aren't meant to be charging. I asked once just after the policy came in about 5p bags. They shrugged it off in the same way.
It's not mandatory, but they still can. however I would doubt very much that the charge was going to an environmental charity or such as it should do. Straight in their pockets I bet. :)

mosy
Posts: 3926
Joined: 21 Sep 2007 20:28
Location: London

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by mosy » 24 Aug 2017 11:34

PFC give the smaller black bags for free; they charge 2p for their large bag. They must cost of course so I don't object to PFC recouping 2p, especially as the bags are re-useable - the supermarket bags cost 5p for pure waste because they have air-holes in them.

The 5p charge imposed by the government for larger businesses does have the exception that a shopper can have a free one for fresh goods that are mucky or drip, e.g. flowers or muddy spuds, but you try telling a supermarket that!

I've said before that PFC will happily give a receipt - just ask, then you can confirm rather than speculate. As earlier said, no shop is obliged to sell at a shelf price if it's wrong or doesn't apply. Supermarkets tend to capitulate for goodwill, but it is just that.

Can I suggest that people stop running an amazing shop down on here before they have evidence? All my bills "seem a lot to me" which is hardly evidence of overcharging.

mosy
Posts: 3926
Joined: 21 Sep 2007 20:28
Location: London

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by mosy » 24 Aug 2017 11:43

Parker1970 wrote:
It's not mandatory, but they still can. however I would doubt very much that the charge was going to an environmental charity or such as it should do. Straight in their pockets I bet. :)
[my bold] Don't think so. "should do" would be true if bound to comply with the gov't 5p scheme, but then they would be charging 5p not 2p, so presumably they aren't so it's up to them whether and what they charge and what they do with the proceeds.

gpdgentleman
Posts: 4
Joined: 22 Aug 2017 11:45
Location: Forest Hill

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by gpdgentleman » 24 Aug 2017 14:23

mosy wrote:
Parker1970 wrote:
It's not mandatory, but they still can. however I would doubt very much that the charge was going to an environmental charity or such as it should do. Straight in their pockets I bet. :)
[my bold] Don't think so. "should do" would be true if bound to comply with the gov't 5p scheme, but then they would be charging 5p not 2p, so presumably they aren't so it's up to them whether and what they charge and what they do with the proceeds.

For what it's worth, I always bring my own cloth bags (2 were given to me a a present, the 3rd I bought in Poland for about 30p) washing them when they need it. If everyone did this, there would be no need to ask the shop for a (plastic and usually flimsy) bag. Secondly, I do most of my shopping NOT at big supermarkets, for that and many other reasons, preferring to shop little, often and locally. It can usually work out just as cheaply if not more so. Local specialist shops need our business more than ever, which is why the issue at PFC is regrettable. Sorry - don't mean to preach, but this is a particular bugbear of mine!

Actually I think that the Government's proposed 5p charge (a mere 'sticking plaster' if ever there was one) should apply to all shops and not just the big 4 supermarkets. One of the Australian states (...New South Wales?) applied a dollar surcharge to EVERY plastic bag, and demand for them disappeared virtually overnight! To be fair, most places over there then sold cloth bags cheaply enough for most people to afford them as an incentive. If only our Government could have done the same.....

(To Mosy) No-one wants to run down an (otherwise) amazing shop like PFC - but it cannot be denied that some people working there have been guilty of sharp practices: there's too much circumstantial evidence to suggest otherwise. Besides which, we are all on this forum to ask and inform each other about these things: if enough customers are concerned, something will be done about it.

mosy
Posts: 3926
Joined: 21 Sep 2007 20:28
Location: London

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by mosy » 24 Aug 2017 15:44

gpdgentleman wrote:...[clip]...

(To Mosy) No-one wants to run down an (otherwise) amazing shop like PFC - but it cannot be denied that some people working there have been guilty of sharp practices: there's too much circumstantial evidence to suggest otherwise. Besides which, we are all on this forum to ask and inform each other about these things: if enough customers are concerned, something will be done about it.
[my bold]

Your statement is totally unfounded as written as a direct accusation of guilt. I hope you have evidence, i.e. proof for what is a libellous statement otherwise. People saying, once a seed has been sewn, "I wondered about it now you've mentioned it" is meaningless and certainly not proof..

I don't know what you mean by "circumstantial evidence". How can a black and white, right or wrong, transaction be either circumstantial or evidential without proof? - please explain.

The ground black pepper example was typical of misunderstanding. Retail stores go by their up-to-date till price, and shelf stickers aren't always up date. Co-op (when here) was terrible at not changing their shelf prices even after being told they were wrong, Tesco do get them wrong but change them quite quickly once told, Superdrug's shelf prices are usually right for the barcode but they sometimes have the wrong items above the shelf price label so insist on the till price. The law is on their side. If unhappy, just say "I don't want it then".

So, do you have proof and evidence of some sort?

gpdgentleman
Posts: 4
Joined: 22 Aug 2017 11:45
Location: Forest Hill

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by gpdgentleman » 24 Aug 2017 20:45

@mosy
Forgive me but you do seem somewhat 'triggered' over my remarks, and are being unnecessarily combative.
This is the internet - or at least a local forum on it - local people such as myself and others on here have a right to voice their concerns and see if anyone has had the same problems. I am aware that one can choose not to patronize a shop if one doesn't like their particular ambience or manner, but it is not in anybody's interests to give up and go away.
I will admit that my last post might have been more wisely worded to say "it cannot be denied that some people working here seem to be guilty.........there would seem to be much circumstantial evidence to suggest otherwise."

Earlier you suggested "I've said before that PFC will happily give a receipt - just ask, then you can confirm rather than speculate. " No-one is denying this, but that was not the issue, either then or now. For the record I always ask for a till receipt wherever I shop - I then tabulate all my shopping by category when I get home (.....yes I know, I'm a very sad man!)
mosy wrote:The law is on their side
Really? That's news to me.
mosy wrote: If unhappy, just say "I don't want it then".
I did.

I have to wonder what your reason might be for taking up cudgels on PFC's behalf, when so many other people have had cause to make queries? As previously stated,
gpdgentleman wrote:No-one wants to run down an (otherwise) amazing shop like PFC
we are on here to share views and questions on local issues of concern, (rather than complaint about Trident or Trump or other N1 inspired issues).

I wish you a very good evening.

mosy
Posts: 3926
Joined: 21 Sep 2007 20:28
Location: London

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by mosy » 24 Aug 2017 23:51

gpdgentleman wrote:@mosy
Forgive me but you do seem somewhat 'triggered' over my remarks, and are being unnecessarily combative..
Nope, just pointing out that you made specific allegations without proof and still don't offer any to support them, yet seemingly are happy to mitigate them with "seem" and "would seem" so confirming unfounded or you'd stand by your assertions.
gpdgentleman wrote:
mosy wrote:The law is on their side
Really? That's news to me.
News to you it might be, but it is so for shop retailers. It dates back decades and hasn't changed. (Buying online has its own set of rules.)

If the one complaint you mention isn't really valid (as has been pointed out by myself and another), and you say you check your receipts as a matter of course yet don't mention any problems that I'm sure you would have mentioned in your last post had there been any, why persist in saying there's an "issue" as you call it implying frequency and intent? The only reason you have given is that other people have "queries" even though they don't seem to apply to you. Good ho.

gpdgentleman
Posts: 4
Joined: 22 Aug 2017 11:45
Location: Forest Hill

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by gpdgentleman » 25 Aug 2017 01:06

My dear chap,

You do seem to come across as condescending and abrupt, not to say peremptory.

It would appear that you may be someone who 'patrols' the internet searching for anyone with whom you think you can be high-handed, usually on a technicality of some sort - a form of point-scoring.
mosy wrote:And now Payless is "suspicious" because of one mistake even though an instant apology was given? (I've shopped at Payless as well as PFC for years.) For goodness sake.
(my italics)
mosy wrote:What is with this "suspicious" thing being echoed in this thread? I'd say prove your suspicions if you claim they are ongoing
mosy wrote:I mean, pullease
.......

And what on earth is meant or implied by your final Good ho ?

If you want to take the tone of a posturing Social Justice Warrior, take it to the coffee bar down the road from the house you obviously couldn't afford in Islington and leave it there: I am not going to engage with you.

Have a good life.

mosy
Posts: 3926
Joined: 21 Sep 2007 20:28
Location: London

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by mosy » 25 Aug 2017 12:06

gpdgentleman wrote:...[clip]...

And what on earth is meant or implied by your final Good ho ?

If you want to take the tone of a posturing Social Justice Warrior, take it to the coffee bar down the road from the house you obviously couldn't afford in Islington and leave it there: I am not going to engage with you.

Have a good life.
Good ho meant that if you don't want to see the unfairness of implying, even stating outright, that deliberate deceit is an ongoing "issue" despite citing only one mistake, then whatever I say will make no difference.

I've no doubt that mistakes have been made given the countless number of transactions executed. However, I'll stick with it being unfair to spread an unfounded suggestion of intent and I find it odd that you think you are providing some sort of social service by doing so.

syenhamboy
Posts: 92
Joined: 26 Aug 2016 03:33

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by syenhamboy » 16 Nov 2019 18:54

Looks like PFC is back up to its short changing tricks again.

Got short changed the other night and I gave the benefit of the doubt. I queried it and they corrected it.

TODAY AGAIN!!!

My change should have £7.72, they gave me £5 note £2 Coin 20p and 2p - which is 50p short. This is a known trick as it looks at a glance to be all there but they miss out the 50p as probably 95% of people don’t check properly.

I queried and the woman got the man to check it and they gave me the 50p back.

HOW MANY MORE TIMES?????

tonyhorse
Posts: 11
Joined: 2 Apr 2016 07:19

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by tonyhorse » 25 Nov 2019 20:50

I'm happy to go and query this with the management if someone hasn't already? I would sincerely hope and assume that this is something the till staff are in on and the management are maybe unaware.

mosy
Posts: 3926
Joined: 21 Sep 2007 20:28
Location: London

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by mosy » 25 Nov 2019 23:29

It's over two years since mistakes were reported in this thread. I suggest that people ask for their change to be put on the counter then always say "Is that right?". (Busy yourself with purse/wallet or ingredient label so no hands.) Also ask for a till receipt if one is not offered, which it very often is now. If a mistake is made, try to remember which assistant. The receipt shows the time and a till number so the boss will know who was on then.

I prefer to doubt that mistakes are intentional, but repeated carelessness is hardly excusable.

syenhamboy
Posts: 92
Joined: 26 Aug 2016 03:33

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by syenhamboy » 8 Dec 2019 06:57

mosy wrote:
25 Nov 2019 23:29
It's over two years since mistakes were reported in this thread. I suggest that people ask for their change to be put on the counter then always say "Is that right?". (Busy yourself with purse/wallet or ingredient label so no hands.) Also ask for a till receipt if one is not offered, which it very often is now. If a mistake is made, try to remember which assistant. The receipt shows the time and a till number so the boss will know who was on then.

I prefer to doubt that mistakes are intentional, but repeated carelessness is hardly excusable.

Too regular to be a mistake. Always in their favour, also the till shows the amount of change to be given so it's not a mistake.

It's a well known trick to miss out a middle coin eg. £7.87 owed keep back 50p so a quick check looks correct as most people never bother to check their change.

It's happened to me too many times to be a mistake. I used to go to a shop in Lewisham and the woman short changed me. I corrected her and she paid me back. Next time I went there she did it again. I queried it and again she paid me back. The third time I made a huge scene and threatened to call the police and I did this in a packed shop and made it very loudly known she was a thief.

syd
Posts: 269
Joined: 23 Aug 2006 18:30
Location: lower sydenham

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by syd » 8 Dec 2019 10:15

This is why I use amazon prime now! No drama and I don’t like horrible customer service and I’m afraid there are one too many convince shops here that are just unpleasant. I offset my carbon by getting rid of my car.

Sydenham
Posts: 270
Joined: 2 Sep 2007 09:08
Location: Wells Park

Re: PFC Penge Food Centre Sydenham Road

Post by Sydenham » 8 Dec 2019 12:29

I know Amazon are getting into fresh food deliveries and own Whole Foods - but can you now actually get deliveries from PFC using Amazon Prime? I didn't know they had a web presence. If they do that would be amazing.

I suppose it would be something similar to how Uber Eats or Deliveroo pick up from local restaurants and do home deliveries.

Post Reply