Emergency services on kirkdale.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
I hammer

Emergency services on kirkdale.

Post by I hammer »

Anyone know what's happened at the top end of kirkdale? Looks serious!
John J Rambo

Re: Emergency services on kirkdale.

Post by John J Rambo »

Yeah what happened here? Saw a car had been cut open.
_HB

Post by _HB »

Some moron flipped his car over. Let's hope he didn't hurt anyone but himself. All in a typical day of road violence in London.
I hammer

Post by I hammer »

If the car crash happened near Tesco, I'm not surprised, as that is a chaotic narrowing of the road.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I hammer wrote:If the car crash happened near Tesco, I'm not surprised, as that is a chaotic narrowing of the road.
No, it was just off the roundabout on Kirkdale/Datrmouth Road.

I was diverted away from it yesterday but it looked bad, 3 fire engines, 2 ambulances, 2 police cars and all closed off.
wrightie

Post by wrightie »

Another? There was a flipped car on Perry Vale a few weeks ago.
parker

Post by parker »

...and another one here, in Shortlands. What is going on?

http://m.newsshopper.co.uk/news/1335892 ... hortlands/
_HB

Post by _HB »

People drive like dickheads because they know they will get away with it. And if they get caught they'll receive a slap on the wrists. These incidents are inevitable until we get serious about tackling road violence.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

_HB wrote:People drive like dickheads because they know they will get away with it. And if they get caught they'll receive a slap on the wrists. These incidents are inevitable until we get serious about tackling road violence.
I have to agree. This is a subject that I've been thinking about for a while now.

I spend a lot of time on the road in a van and I'm sure there are more idiots behind the wheel than ever before.

I've seen some unbeleivable near misses, blatant rule breaking and dangerous antics, too many examples to mention.

With so many cameras around these days you hope that these people somehow get caught, however I doubt it.

I've been unfortunate to witness what a speeding car can do to someone, and it is not pretty. Unfortunately it was a child who luckily did survive.

I'm a father of two youngsters, and it's one of my biggest fears, despite having drummed into them the green cross code.

However like you said HB, there is no deterrent, punishments don't fit. These vehicles are so dangerous with irresponsible drivers in them.

How fast must you (or can you??) be going on Kirkdale to flip your car??
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I think " violence " is precisely what it is and it should be treated more that way rather than an speeding etc.
It s a decision freely taken to drive in a way likely to kill anyone who steps out or happens to be at a junction or roundabout .
Maybe an instant impounding of vehicle and selling for charity would be a deterrent in those cases . Followed by a restricted licence . I know many speeding drivers will be natural lawbreakers but it might deter quite a few that currently see it as tut tut 6 points and a fine ?
A very good morning
Nigel
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Of course, sometimes an accident is just that. The recent accident on Perry Vale was apparently caused by the driver taking ill (reportedly a blackout). We don't know what happened with this accident being discussed here, whether anyone was seriously hurt, whether any parties were driving irresponsibly, whether any of them read this forum. A conversation on 'violent' driving (which I agree is a problem) might be better discussed on a thread of its own.
_HB

Post by _HB »

Nigel wrote:Maybe an instant impounding of vehicle and selling for charity would be a deterrent in those cases . Followed by a restricted licence . I know many speeding drivers will be natural lawbreakers but it might deter quite a few that currently see it as tut tut 6 points and a fine ?
I would go further Nigel. No one should feel they have a right to a driving licence. Over a certain speed threshold it should be a life ban. eg anything more than 45 in a 30 and so on up the scale. If you kill or seriously injure someone, or cause significant property damage, same punishment. No more driving for you.
_HB

Post by _HB »

Ghlpc wrote:
_HB wrote: I'm a father of two youngsters, and it's one of my biggest fears, despite having drummed into them the green cross code.
Absolutely, and this is the tradegy of the way we have allowed our towns and cities to develop over the last 40 years. We don't have streets any more, just roads. And the kind of community severance that it causes disproportionately affects poorer people. All this in the Local Authority with the lowest rate of car ownership in the UK. Shame.
appletree

Post by appletree »

I have joined the forum, finally, in order to reply to this thread.

The emergency services were not on Kirkdale because of an accident. I spoke to a WPC attending, who said that a man had had serious back pain and the fire services had to cut him out of his car. There had not, however, been an accident.

So however true the comments might be about people's driving in general, no one turned over their car in this case (I saw the car and it was not turned over) and there was no accident.

Hello to everyone, by the way.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Hello Appletree and welcome to STF. Glad you managed to put the facts out there. Sometimes Chinese whispers can result in a slight unintentional skewing of the facts.