Golden Lion pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Poppy2011

Re: Golden Lion pub

Post by Poppy2011 »

Yes that too :-D
sydres

Post by sydres »

This all sounds very promising - the idea of a farmers type market could help to add to the monthly market at both squares and may also help to bring extra footfall further down the high street.

Will pop by to try the food very soon! Good luck with the new venture!
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Isn't it great that there's an enthusiastic member of staff to feedback to - this could really help the pub owners turn it into a success by listening to their customers - especially the ones who want this sort of oub to do well. I for one cannot wait to taste the burgers - I love 'simple' home cooked food. Well done chef!!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Totally agree.

We went today after I tweeted Richard and he sent me the menu, which persuaded us to have our lunchtime meeting there.

We had the beetroot and Ricotta burger and beef burgers as well as a scotch egg (we were hungry). All were excellent, and FAR FAR FAR better than the likes of Byron and Gourmet Burger companies. They certainly tasted home made. The scotch e.g. is very good and for the quality, good value.

The music was quieter too, which was good and the perfect level for background music.

We'd definitely go back.

It has a afferent feel to the Dolphin, which we also like. This was the first time I'd ventured past the car park. I didn't realise it was so large, they should do really well to extend the garden into part of it. Places like the Paxton come alive because of the outside space in the summer.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

I've not been in for a couple of weeks so don't know if the beer choice has changed but can I feed back that more variety is needed rather than 5 main stream bitters. Something hoppy would be a good start.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There looked to be a good choice to me. I had a nice Guinness Porter I hadn't seen or had before, but I'm no ale expert (I don't like lager).

Looking forward to trying Hibgon (sp?).

Regards

Lee
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

I believe we are looking in to change 4 ales a month to give more variety some more hoppy ipa's and keeping the best and doom bar as our house beers and maybe some you haven't seen before
HappySyd

Post by HappySyd »

I had lunch in there again today and the burger was excellent.

My mum said the sausage and mash was very good too.

Keep it coming Richard :D

HappySyd
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

Thanks for all the positive comments
Just to touch Base if anyone is interested in the farmers market or having a stall please email me on headchefgoldenlion116@gmail.com
Regards
Richard morgan
Head chef
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Went last night. Decent burger. Chips appeared frozen and then oven heated but will let chef comment on that.

Beer was good. Two light hoppy options including a great one from Robinsons.
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

Hi Bovine Juice
Glad to here you enjoyed the burger
The chips are bought in as do most pubs
I buy a premium gourmet chunky chip Called pom de nurf sorry my french is bad lol.
That we deep fry as I believe the quality is better. we used this style of chip in most of the high end restaurants iv worked in.
I'd love to do my own triple cooked chips at some point in the future.
Richard morgan
Head chef
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Much much better in there. Very nice. Glad there's a room (I think) without a TV. Looking forward to eating later. Have they lost the neon purple light in the evenings now?

Well done the Golden Lion. Just the Greyhound to go and that will 'top 'n' tail' Syd High Street nicely for evening bars.

Let's get something nice under the Orb (yes ... Honest Burger should do it - can a bunch of us email them: GKB, Byron etc?) and we're all but there.

SB
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

We returned with my parents and everyone enjoyed their meal. I had the thyme chicken as a lighter option. Was a massive bit of delicious chicken with some fantastic potatoes and salad. Very nice. Burger got the thumbs up from my wife too
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Went for the first time since refurbished. Must say it lacked inspiration and warmth.
It felt like there was no driving force behind the design of the place and a real fear of colour .
We didnt try the food mainly because there no real atmosphere - the rainy night probably didnt help .
Without casting any doubt on the food which i have not tried , the Lion looks like a pub doing an impersonation of a gastropub to me .
We both went to the Dolphin after - straight away atmosphere , comfortable and a bit of buzz . Food was very nice too.
A very good afternoon
Nigel.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Does the new menu start tomorrow?
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

you are correct new menu from tomorrow.
Today im just winding down the old menu with a limited menu,apologies for any inconvenience.
Richard Morgan
Head chef
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Great! Last day of my parents visiting tomorrow. We'll be in and try the new menu. I'll report back…
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Nigel wrote:Went for the first time since refurbished. Must say it lacked inspiration and warmth.

We both went to the Dolphin after - straight away atmosphere , comfortable and a bit of buzz . Food was very nice too.
A very good afternoon
Nigel.
Yeah - but I remember the Dolphin feeling a bit like that when it first opened (2007?) so I think give it a chance and some 'teething' time ... Dolphin feels much cosier and 'used' now - it needs locals to give it a good go - and it's clear the chef takes time to check this site out - and he can feed back to the other staff ...

A very good afternoon to you to :wink:
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

If anyone is thinking of trying the new menu then wait till tomorrow. No food today

Richard, I hope you are ok! We stopped by but heard you'd been to A&E for most of the day! We'll stop by another day to try the new menu
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

Hi all I'm all ok now just had a bad alergic reaction to something but back ony feet now

Wondering if anyone can help I'm looking for a commis chef to start ASAP if you know of anyone can u put them my way
Head chef
Richard morgan