Golden Lion pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Parker1970

Re: Golden Lion pub

Post by Parker1970 »

admin wrote:Yes, I was thinking of a mini-flash mob. But I'm not going near anyone tapping a review into their phone/tablet/laptop.

Will I be lonely?

Admin
If you are suggesting "Don't stop believing" by Journey/Glee, then yes, you will be lonely :)

May pop in after work :D
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

It'll be interesting to see if the pub now serves food, or will be just a drinking only establishment (the latter is increasingly rare in this day and age). I wish the pub the very best of fortune and I may have a swift half there myself! :D
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

FromCtoShiningC wrote:It'll be interesting to see if the pub now serves food, or will be just a drinking only establishment (the latter is increasingly rare in this day and age). I wish the pub the very best of fortune and I may have a swift half there myself! :D
There was a sign inside the door when I walked past a few days back saying the kitchen opened August 1st
pip

Post by pip »

Apparently Pub now not opening until Thursday 23rd July.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

pip wrote:Apparently Pub now not opening until Thursday 23rd July.
Did not look close to ready as I passed this morning. Shame but better to open with things right and completed as first impressions count
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Had a quick nosey as I wandered past - looks a hell of a lot better. Nice looking floorboards and a more contemporary feel ... Those 'carpeted juke-box' pubs of yesteryear have probably just their day; but the Railway/Pavillion is still open for people who like their pubs to feel like an episode of Minder circa 1982. I know my dad does - so there's nothing wrong with that :lol:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My SMT reports the opening is now scheduled for Thursday ...

Admin
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I've seen the five pumps set up. I'm just hoping that they don't end up being Enterprise standard ales and that they go for all SIBA (Society of Independent Brewers) beers - this is the list Pubs like the Dolphin and other Enterprise Inns get there guest ales. It would be great to see some local breweries featured.

The keg selection doesn't look that great - standard Heineken and other lagers. We'll see though.

Here's the SIBA site for those interested*

http://siba.co.uk/

*Looks across the pub to Eagle

G-man
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

G-Man wrote:I've seen the five pumps set up. I'm just hoping that they don't end up being Enterprise standard ales and that they go for all SIBA (Society of Independent Brewers) beers - this is the list Pubs like the Dolphin and other Enterprise Inns get there guest ales. It would be great to see some local breweries featured.

The keg selection doesn't look that great - standard Heineken and other lagers. We'll see though.

Here's the SIBA site for those interested*

http://siba.co.uk/

*Looks across the pub to Eagle

G-man
Has Enterprise done something to offend you G-Man? I fear you need to get over it.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Sydenham Syd wrote:
Has Enterprise done something to offend you G-Man? I fear you need to get over it.
To be honest, no, so I don't really need to get over anything. I'm simply really interested in pubs and beer Sydenham Syd, I'm also interested in a good deal for consumers and people trying to run pubs, something the tied model doesn't deliver.

So, I have a problem with the tied model, which will be changing very soon - if it hasn't already. In the past I know Pub Companies have always stitched up landlords on the price of beer (In the case of Enterprise to pay for their debt). This is changing though since the change in the tied pub law. And Enterprise are pulling themselves out of debt.

Here's why I don't like Pub Companies: http://gregmulholland.org/en/article/20 ... local-pubs

And here's a balanced article from BBC business. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30110742

Cheers

G-Man
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

G-Man wrote:
Sydenham Syd wrote:
To be honest, no, so I don't really need to get over anything. I'm simply really interested in pubs and beer Sydenham Syd, I'm also interested in a good deal for consumers and people trying to run pubs, something the tied model doesn't deliver.

So, I have a problem with the tied model, which will be changing very soon - if it hasn't already. In the past I know Pub Companies have always stitched up landlords on the price of beer (In the case of Enterprise to pay for their debt). This is changing though since the change in the tied pub law. And Enterprise are pulling themselves out of debt.

Here's why I don't like Pub Companies: http://gregmulholland.org/en/article/20 ... local-pubs

And here's a balanced article from BBC business. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30110742

Cheers

G-Man
The sad/simple fact is, that the majority of pubs cannot command a profit unless they are part or at least linked to a network. I was under the impression that Enterprise works more like a franchise than the old brewery linked style that really was a car crash, S&N used to own so many pubs that they simply ran out of ideas and indeed style, quickly followed by punters.

The Dolphin is owned by a small network that I believe are in the same group as the Dartmouth Arms - I also understand that it is under their own steam as such, and the way they are grouped is to get deliveries and other logistics streamlined. Makes it easier to work with a bank for example, and also with suppliers. Independents can often get bullied. I believe they have investors, who obvi want a coupon back on their outlay, but in the main it seems like a low key private business.

The Golden Lion was a bit a dump all told. I like the imagination it had with the Blues club etc., and it seemed like the same punters outside every day (not always a nice thing).

I guess the old fashioned pub simply can't survive in London any more. If you look at the profile of the incomers to Sydenham, they demand to eat properly and have clean carpets and no dust. The craft ale revolution has driven much of this demand - good or bad for the old man's pub flag waver I am not sure - it is a return to browner being served. They also want to be able to take their kids there in the afternoon - the balance struck by the Dolphin of no kids past a certain hour is a good one.

Hopefully the Lion will be change for the better - it would have closed if it had stayed the same.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I think the Dolphin's actually owned by Enterprise, hence the beers they sell and the prices they sell at. Same with their other pubs. They are all leased from Enterprise.

But yes, I agree with you on the Golden Lion. I'm really looking forward to checking it out. I've said many times on this forum, good pubs really help regenerate an area. Also agree on the old fashioned pub. Pubs are changing, the offering needs to be good - whether that be beer or food based. I think it's a good thing. And I can't wait to see what the Golden Lion's going to offer and the Greyhound when it opens.

Cheers Syd and see you at the bar!

G-man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm not sure why you think they are owned by Enterprise G-man.

They are owned by Inn Public.

http://www.thedolphinsydenham.com/about/
http://www.pubsandbeer.co.uk/index.php? ... &submit=Go

Why do you think they are owned by Enterprise?

All the Inn Public pubs (The Dolphin, Dartmouth Arms and The Duke in East Dulwich) have a similar feel (in a good way).

Nothing on Enterprises website has anything about any of these pubs.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Lee, Inn Public are the company that run them, I believe they are leased from Enterprise. Or they are tied in a brewery deal with them. Maybe they are owned by Inn Public. Next time you're in there ask one of the managers. I know Enterprise have some control. I confirmed this with them after your previous post along the same lines as I've had extensive conversations with them about the tied system and pub cos as a whole. As I said it's an area I'm very passionate about. I also did the same with the Golden Lion.

Enterprise only have pubs available on their website as far as I can see.

Cheers

G-man
Last edited by G-Man on 24 Jul 2015 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
Simon Hart

Post by Simon Hart »

well it's open now, the carpets and woodwork are gone and a lick of paint, not that I mind that but honestly no design thought and it just feels like the kind of place that will be a night club. but we'll see !!
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Is the new owner the ex owner of The Cherry Tree (formerly the Vale) in East Dulwich?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

topofthehill wrote:Is the new owner the ex owner of The Cherry Tree (formerly the Vale) in East Dulwich?
Yeah, apparently.

My mate's verdict wasn't that great. Sky Sports on, 80's hits on the stereo and the booze selection wasn't all that - no craft beer - people just use this as a buzz word and don't supply the goods, so disappointing. Three hand pumps and the beer not very well kept. I'm going to pop in there later to try it but will not have a beer if it's not up to scratch.

Let's see. But I was hoping for more.

G-man
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

G Man

I agree does not sound like a Pub to suit.

If a Pub does not have niche real ales well kept then not on my agenda.

80's music sounds like it used to be , or was it more 60's with many Irish songs chucked in to appeal to the demographic in the Pub.
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

I went in for a pint yesterday evening. Like the floorboards, not so keen on the shade of green on the walls. 5 ales on the pumps, that's pretty good. It felt so massive in there, started to pine a bit for the woodwork. Was that original does anyone know?
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

I wonder what they've done with the bits and bobs on their sheves that they used to have (some antique, some others not so antique).. I hope they didn't end up in a skip!
I will also have a look in the next few weeks... always keen to give my custom to somewhere new that has opened locally (including re-openings)....