Golden Lion pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
G-Man

Re: Golden Lion pub

Post by G-Man »

Thanks topofthehill.

Sorry Lee but I find your last comment a bit rude and implies to anyone that doesn't know me that I'm always drunk in the pub or go to the pub to get drunk. And don't know what I'm talking about. Which you keep doing around this subject.

This actually all this stems from being interested, and passionate about beer and pubs - like you are interested in shop fronts etc Lee. I brew my own beer (from the raw ingredients, not using kits) and I'm a member of CAMRA (although don't agree with all their battles). I've seen too many pubs close and be threatened by development (nod to Mary there). I believe both beer and pubs are important to our national culture.

My interest in Enterprise particularly stems from Twitter and also CAMRA's newspaper - What's Brewing. It also stems from wanting to talk to publicans about their businesses.

My first proper conversation was a few years ago with Boydy, the Landlord of the Alma in Crystal Palace, I popped in there for a quick beer with Mrs G after going shopping and we talked to him about local breweries and, in particular the tied system and Enterprise Inns, who own the Alma. I then had similar conversations with The manager at the Dolphin, who explained to me that the Dolphin was tied to Enterprise and leased off them. The same as the Golden Lion. Your doubt, Lee, made me doubt myself so I asked both businesses again, they confirmed this.

New laws have been passed on the tied system which will stop publicans paying over market rate for beer. I'm not sure when these come in but I hope it will mean more choice behind the bars of both the Golden Lion and the Dolphin, and maybe better prices.

Cheers.

G-Man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Apologies, it wasn't meant to read like that G-Man. It was supposed to be a friendly jest, nothing meant by it.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

I stand open to correction but it appears that the new Code of Conduct will come into force round about March 2016 and will be reviewed 2 years later.

Tied pubs generally seem to have benefits such as rent concessions, property maintenance etc whereas pubs that are not tied do not have such concessions and pay market rent.

Enterprise Inns have indicated that they are to sell around 1000 tied pubs and increase their 16 Enterprise managed pubs to something like 800.
They also own 22 sites on which convenience stores are situated.

The Hob in Forest Hill has recently reverted to Enterprise Inns but whether or not this will be managed by Enterprise Inns remains to be seen. The pub is currently under going refurbishment.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

In all probability Enterprise will want to keep at least one of the Sydenham pubs. I suspect they may flog off both of the historically important Penge ones as they are currently terrible and usually empty.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

That certainly seems logical.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Ate at the Golden Lion on Monday night. The general impression was that it was ok but not great. The fish special (pan fried sea bass on a bed or mushroom risotto) went down well. I had the burger and I'd rank it behind the Dolphin and On The Hoof. Rather too obviously bought in with fairly generic condiments. The chips however were very nice if a little salty. In fact ridiculously salty as they were also served with the kids meals

The beer was ok; nothing special. I saw no craft beers though. Price was cheaper than the Dolphin
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I asked the chef of The Golden Lion via Twitter if the burgers were made on the premises but got no reply. Making a decent burger is very quick and simple, and tastes a gazillion times better than anything bought in. The Sylvan Post in Forest Hill has homemade burgers made with a properly aged beef and they are delicious.
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

Hi Rachael and others
sorry for not replying on twitter im new to it and still miss notifications sometimes.
just to confirm i make all my burgers by hand and the rest of my food as well. iv had great reviews on the burgers by many customers.
to the prev comment id like to apologise if you weren't happy with your meal and id like to invite you back when we launch the new menu in September with a bottle of wine on me, email me on headchefgoldenlion116@gmail.com and ill arrange this.
id also like to confirm we will be doing live music on the first weekend in sep but will confirm that in a couple of days or so.
if anyone has any questions they would like to ask me ill happily respond on my email as above.
Head Chef
Richard Morgan
golden lion
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thanks for the reply, Richard. It's good to hear your burgers are handmade. We will certainly come and give them a try in September. If you can tempt us away from Byron Burgers you've done well.

While we have you here, can I make a request? We like to go out as a family for Sunday lunch, but we don't always want a roast dinner. It's really frustrating when all our local eateries remove our favourites from the menu on Sundays. Any chance of the Golden Lion having a full menu on Sundays, or at least more than one or two alternatives to roast?
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Richardm wrote:Hi Rachael and others
sorry for not replying on twitter im new to it and still miss notifications sometimes.
just to confirm i make all my burgers by hand and the rest of my food as well. iv had great reviews on the burgers by many customers.
to the prev comment id like to apologise if you weren't happy with your meal and id like to invite you back when we launch the new menu in September with a bottle of wine on me, email me on headchefgoldenlion116@gmail.com and ill arrange this.
id also like to confirm we will be doing live music on the first weekend in sep but will confirm that in a couple of days or so.
if anyone has any questions they would like to ask me ill happily respond on my email as above.
Head Chef
Richard Morgan
golden lion
Richard,

First of all good to see you on here engaging with your customers. That is really fantastic and I wish all businesses did so.

I'm sorry for stating that the burgers seemed bought in if they are made in house. I felt the consistency, shape and depth were simply too uniform for that. Maybe make them a little less perfect! We were not unhappy with the meal. As I said the fish special in particular was very well received. I would still suggest serving the kids chips unsalted as that would make a big difference to us

We'll certainly be back in September to try the new menu. This again is something I'd encourage. Your main local competition have not changed their menu for 2 years. A new menu, or even some slight change, every 6 months or so would go a long way to keeping people coming back

Robbie
Maria

Post by Maria »

Agree with comments above and we too will be back - have already been 3 times (and thought your mussels were absolutely amazing) - most probably before September. Great that you will have yet another menu soon, agree with the comment on roasts, and delighted that there will be live music again: that, alone, will make you stand out.

Finally, well done for responding here and for doing so without in any way being defensive - great customer relations approach.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Perhaps a daily "Chef''s special" or two?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Are they still playing loud music?

If it's more of a background thing, I'd venture back. Last time it was annoyingly loud. I want some other choices locally than the usual suspects.
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

hello all
thank you for the feedback it is always much appreciated.iv always said bad feed back is never bad it helps you improve as a chef. you have to listen to your customers good and bad is what my dad always said they help you grow and correct faults that you may not have noticed.

The new menu will be a bit more upscale for example '' Coffee rubbed pork neck with chili and garlic seared pak choi and a apple mouse.

im aiming to bring my restaurant exp in to play but keeping in touch with traditional pub grub with a twist

In regards to Sunday i am thinking on doing a carvery and full menu.
i will be doing seasonal menus so 4 menus a year and specials and x-mas as well
the music has been lowered, as i agree it can be intrusive in a good social natter.

we have a lot of plans for the pub looking to do a farmers market in the car park and social events so if you have any ideas there are much welcome.

regards
Richard Morgan
Head Chef
Last edited by Richardm on 20 Aug 2015 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

oh i forgot to say thankyou for saying the burgers are perfectly formed im a bit anal like that
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

sorry lastly the salt on the kids food you are right ill make sure they are less seasoned
Poppy2011

Post by Poppy2011 »

This all sounds great! I haven't been in yet....are there veggie options on the menu?
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

yer there is currently summery

goats cheese beetroot and tarragon salad

charred halloumi, apple, rocket , pomegranate and pistachio salad

beetroot hash with avocado and ricotta burger in a toasted brioche bun with our spin on bloody Mary sauce

tomato and chili brochette

the new menu will also have very good veggy options
Regards
Richard Morgan
head chef
Poppy2011

Post by Poppy2011 »

Yum, I look forward to trying it - so nice to see an alternative to pasta or risotto :-)
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

or how about a stuffed pepper lol :D