Golden Lion pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
G-Man

Re: Golden Lion pub

Post by G-Man »

My mate obviously can't count Mr Tubby. :D

May venture out at 5:30 for one.

G-Man
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Actually in here now.

It's okay. Big pub without all the nic nacs. Looks quite nice. Beer seems fine and 5 pumps on (just no pump clips).

£4.05 a pint for Youngs Hummingbird is a bit steep but kept ok and a nice tipple.

It'll get better with age like the Dolphin did looks wise.

You should all try it.

G-man
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

It's ok. In fact it has the potential to be really nice ... great floorboards and sofas etc. I'd say the problem is the neon purple light shining out .. which gives it a (dare I say it) 'chavvy' feel which suggests the owner doesn't quite 'get' the changing Sydenhdm demographic audience - and that lighting comes over as a bit dated. You just get the impression that they've not bothered checking out the successful pubs nearby in c palace/forest hill/Dulwich , so landlords end up 'guessing' what the public want and start making odd choices. But these might just be teething troubles and it could evolve into something more sophisticated. A clear effort to improve. 6/10.
biscuitman1978

Golden Lion pub

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I popped in this evening to check it out - and it's a vast improvement!

It's light and airy, with nice comfy chairs as well as solid tables with proper chairs. The bare floorboards look really good.

There were five ales available, including a couple I didn't recognise, which is good news in my book. (I'll overlook the fact that one of the options was Courage Best. It might have been brewed in my home town for several years, but it's still horrible watery stuff.)

Other pluses were the friendly service and being offered the choice of a pint glass or beer mug - nice touch, BBC News Channel rather Sky Sports was on the television, although I have no problem with the latter.

'Golden Lion Kitchen' opening soon, according to a sign.

I agree with sydenhamboy about the lighting - a strange multi-coloured affair above the bar which illuminates the ceiling. Might be better to switch it off, or at least stick to one colour.

And the music didn't feel quite right. Perhaps it was just too loud, but Eye of the Tiger didn't work for me!

But overall a very good effort and well worth a return visit.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'm sitting in the Supreme Fish Bar across the road and looking at the Golden Lion. I have to say I think the exterior looks great. I had never noticed before how beautiful the window frames are.
Maria

Post by Maria »

I totally agree Rachael - I find it beautiful; I also loved the little I was able to see inside: I passed by a few hours before the official opening and there were workers everywhere but the flooring, tables, soft chairs and all the natural light coming from the French windows to the garden all seemed homely, warm and inviting. Do hope they continue having live bands: I will become a regular, I can feel it..
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

My first visit tonight. Smells strongly of paint and has a slightly soulless feel to it... but it's a vast improvement and at least two of the four beers on offer were decent choices. A decent alternative to the previously limited options of the Dolphin or, er, the Dolphin.
mikej

Post by mikej »

The dislike I had of the Golden Lion was their appalling beer selection, and that when they had a decent one on, it tasted terrible - the last time I was there, the latter was Doom Bar. I was forced to move on to a ghastly lager after that. Haven't been back as a result.

Doesn't sound like the real beers are any better.
biscuitman1978

Golden Lion pub

Post by biscuitman1978 »

mikej wrote:The dislike I had of the Golden Lion was their appalling beer selection, and that when they had a decent one on, it tasted terrible - the last time I was there, the latter was Doom Bar. I was forced to move on to a ghastly lager after that. Haven't been back as a result.

Doesn't sound like the real beers are any better.
Why not pop in and try it for yourself, especially as most of the reviews above are positive about the range of beers?
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

I had a Youngs Hummingbird last night which was decent. They also had Gem from Bath Ales. Two I wouldn't touch with a barge pole because I don't rate, but were also on tap were Courage Best and Doombar.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Seems to be trying to square up to the Dolphin so I think food will make it or break it.

I tried it the other night, like some others said its okay, interior is pretty nice. Terrible constant 80's music didn't help, beer wasn't too bad just not much selection. The food in the Dolphin has never been as good as their menu thinks it is, better in Crystal Palace, so I think there's an opportunity for them if they do it right.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I spoke to the landlord, he said it isn't finished in there yet.

They will have more screens in the main bar for sports. He also said there will be a small screen in the second bar showing the news.

I think it would be good to have one bar without a television. But that's just me.

Cheers

G-man
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

G-Man wrote:I spoke to the landlord, he said it isn't finished in there yet.

They will have more screens in the main bar for sports. He also said there will be a small screen in the second bar showing the news.

I think it would be good to have one bar without a television. But that's just me.

Cheers

G-man
It's not just you
Maria

Post by Maria »

Absolutely not just you. (Just hope the big tvs show all Arsenal games, that's all :lol: )

Also spoke to landlord. He didn't know about the STF but he knows now and is very interested in reading comments & perhaps even registering as member. Showed me the garden... well, I don't know about your garden but mine does not have a fraction of the colour his has, it's just lovely!... I have no doubt that they are really, really, keen to do it right so the more constructive feed back we can offer the better, I think.

I still love the light, uncluttered interior and he has assured me the live bands will continue being invited (and that food will be served soon); that place can become fantastic in a few weeks/months time, you'll see
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Rachael wrote:I'm sitting in the Supreme Fish Bar across the road and looking at the Golden Lion. I have to say I think the exterior looks great. I had never noticed before how beautiful the window frames are.
I would struggle to take a review from someone dining in the Supreme Fish Bar!! (no offence, just a fact) :o
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Sydenham Syd wrote:
Rachael wrote:I'm sitting in the Supreme Fish Bar across the road and looking at the Golden Lion. I have to say I think the exterior looks great. I had never noticed before how beautiful the window frames are.
I would struggle to take a review from someone dining in the Supreme Fish Bar!! (no offence, just a fact) :o
Why? They do excellent fish, fried to order, popular with many other posters on this board. Or was it the idea of me 'dining in'? Would you find my opinion more credible if I said I was picking up a takeaway?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rachael

Must admit I find it weird your views lose relevance because you are dining in a certain establishment.

Very strange.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

I went there briefly myself the other day....

Positives are:
- Much much of a modern 'atmosphere' now it's been brought into the 21st C (and I say that as someone who generally favours pre 1900 establishments)
- Feels much larger now with the floor boards sanded and some of the bits and bobs gone
- Wine now sold by branded bottles as opposed to 'red or white'

Development areas:
- I think the WCs still need doing?
- It needs some character still in my humble opinion - either something straight down the line and traditional e.g. a memorable picture or model of a lion etc, or something a bit more spiced up and wacy i.e. something you'd see in East Dulcich or (dare I say) Shoreditch/Hoxton

I'll definately go back one weekend to sample to weekend vibe.

Best of luck Golden Lion!!! Certainly it's looking much better since it's refresh
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Rachael wrote:
Sydenham Syd wrote:
Why? They do excellent fish, fried to order, popular with many other posters on this board. Or was it the idea of me 'dining in'? Would you find my opinion more credible if I said I was picking up a takeaway?
Apols, I was out of order. I guess I thought all those eateries along that line looks pretty awful so threw the supreme in with it. I actually had it down as a kebab shop.
My bad, sorry.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

As Rachael said - the Fish and Chips are excellent and the staff really nice there - I'd happily sit in there and eat if I was in a hurry or just because.

I also rate Jerk Nights, the guy who runs it is lovely and the Jerk Chicken excellent. Always a fun atmosphere in there too.

Try them Syd - you might be surprised.

Anyway...back on topic....

G-man