Fly tipping along the high street

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydres

Post by sydres »

Lewisham Council states on their website that they take fly tipping very seriously yet it seems week after week items get discarded along the high street. Given that most of this area is covered by CCTV, it shouldn't be too difficult to see who the offenders are, especially if items are dumped from a vehicle as is often the case. Isn't it time a more coordinated effort was made by the Council together with the local police?
bensonby

Re: Fly tipping along the high street

Post by bensonby »

The CCTV belongs to and is operated by the council. The prosecuting authority for fly tipping lies with the council. I fail to see what the police have go to do with it at all...
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Lewisham Council...coordinated? Don't make me laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Not quite fly tipping, but.......there was a crashed car at the top of Venner (by Lloyds Bank) this week... not sure if now moved.... One would wonder why that hasn't been moved away from a public walkway. I do hope no one was injured in what looks like a car smash....
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Kangley Bridge Road is terrible for fly tipping, especially the Bromley end of the road by the business park. I saw a man fall over a huge pile of builders rubble left on the pavement, smashed up his phone and left him covered in cuts. Walking to Lower Sydenham in the mornings can be like negotiating an assault course!
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

There's a mattress propped up against the wall in Silverdale close to the junction with the High Street.

Out of sight, out of mind, maybe? Perhaps I should drag it round the corner and leave it outside Hunters lol
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Checkmate wrote:There's a mattress propped up against the wall in Silverdale close to the junction with the High Street.
I reported it on Sunday evening (https://www.fixmystreet.com/report/673997), so hopefully Lewisham Council will pick it up soon.

Mind you, it would be better if people didn't show such disregard for their local area in the first place.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Thanks, Biscuitman, for taking the effort to report to fix my street. And you're totally right about people leaving a mattress lying around like that.

I feel 'forced' into being a snob about people sometimes.

If ever I need cheering up - the Mayow Park cafe does it for me - it's a brilliant place, in a brilliant location. But, I digress!
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

By yesterday afternoon, it had indeed vanished.
Pally

Post by Pally »

In case anyone isn't aware it is was and quick to report flytipping on the keep Britain tidy site (Lewisham no longer has love Lewisham repoting site). I regularly do reports and generally recieve an update about action taken to clear, within a few days
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Pally wrote:In case anyone isn't aware it is was and quick to report flytipping on the keep Britain tidy site (Lewisham no longer has love Lewisham repoting site). I regularly do reports and generally recieve an update about action taken to clear, within a few days
Thanks for taking the time to submit reports, Pally.

For everyone's info, Love Lewisham is now built-in to the Love Clean Streets website - http://lovelewisham.org/

Lewisham Council will also action reports made via the FixMyStreet website (http://www.fixmystreet.com/) and, as you note, via Keep Britain Tidy.

Question for Pally: I know that there's a Keep Britain Tidy app (http://www.keepbritaintidy.org/install- ... /2/1/999/3), but is there a Keep Britain Tidy website for reports too?
Pally

Post by Pally »

Re keep Britain tidy I use the app. I looked for a website bt can't one that provides reporting option. Thanks for the links ...I didn't know Love Lewisham had been absorbed elsewhere ...will have a look at the links