Car in Venner Square

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Re: Car in Venner Square

Post by mosy »

Perhaps an idea would be to paint double yellow lines around the perimeter of Sydenham's public pocket squares. Even with the car there, it wouldn't be the first time that lines had appeared equalling a fine or a tow-able offence.

Double yellows could take months to arrive so not much help now, but could be for the future.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ghlpc wrote:Sorry, I was working hard to pay the bills...like council tax.....

Anyway, as admirable as it was for the locals to gather and attempt to move the vehicle, my point was made to highlight the growing bureaucracy within councils to get anything done.
But sometimes it can be easier, faster and cheaper to do things ourselves.
And are you suggesting I work less hard and/or pay less council tax than your good self?

Stuart
sydres

Post by sydres »

There are now unfortunately two cars abandoned in the square. Perhaps the council can be prompted into acting a little faster now.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

admin wrote:
Ghlpc wrote:Sorry, I was working hard to pay the bills...like council tax.....

Anyway, as admirable as it was for the locals to gather and attempt to move the vehicle, my point was made to highlight the growing bureaucracy within councils to get anything done.
But sometimes it can be easier, faster and cheaper to do things ourselves.
And are you suggesting I work less hard and/or pay less council tax than your good self?

Stuart
Erm....no Stuart, suggesting that our council tax helps to pay for situations to be resolved like this one....
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

mosy wrote:Perhaps an idea would be to paint double yellow lines around the perimeter of Sydenham's public pocket squares. Even with the car there, it wouldn't be the first time that lines had appeared equalling a fine or a tow-able offence.

Double yellows could take months to arrive so not much help now, but could be for the future.
Call in Councillor Pressel?

Double yellow lines at end of Abbey Place
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Broken Window Syndrome.

If it's not illegal to move it as Bensonby suggests, how about another try to shift it before Venner Square ends up looking like the M25?

With so much spent on Sydenham, it's a shame that it's gone backwards and tax payers money has been spent on floor covering with a turdis and scrapyard on it.
simon

Post by simon »

Yes, another car there now. Perhaps the council will now install some bollards when the cars have been removed, if they wver are.
Last edited by simon on 12 Aug 2015 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

simon wrote:Yes, another car there now. Perhaps the council will now install some bollards when the cars have been removed, if they aver are.
Is the new one smashed up too?? I only pass there on my way home, not on the way to work. I'll take a photo tonight and tweet it to start a twitter storm. By my reckoning the first car has been there a month by this weekend and it only just got a ticket last night.

#Ridiculous
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Well, the 2nd car has gone. The first car seems to have been frisked for parts and now has 2 penalty charge tickets and a notice for "Removal and/or Destruction" placed upon it.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

A week later and the car is still there despite the removal warnings. Someone has however removed the 3 Penalty tickets from the window, likely not the owner though.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It beggars belief the council do not move it and should have done long ago. They will probably have to in the long run.

I assume owner not reported stolen so they can be held responsible for all costs.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Eagle wrote:It beggars belief the council do not move it and should have done long ago. They will probably have to in the long run.

I assume owner not reported stolen so they can be held responsible for all costs.
So many parts of the car have been removed now that the owner probably wants someone to steal it.
sydres

Post by sydres »

Whilst I agree it is frustrating that it hasn't been moved yet, my last conversation with the Council suggested that the car could only be removed 7 days after the removal notice had been placed on the windscreen (which from memory was 13th August). This would suggest that the period expires at the end of today.

Alternatively call the Council and ask them why it hasn't been removed yet - tel. 0208 314 2057.

Or call or e-mail Chris Best to provide an update on the situation.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Hilarious update. There now appears to be a water leak from the paving under the car so the Council will HAVE to move the car to repair the leak or perhaps not! You couldn't make it up!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I hope all costs are padded on to the owner.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Police are now reporting that council will remove vehicle today sometime.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

:D well done for chasing and updating. It is ridiculous. I've had my towed away in Clapham a couple of times literally minutes after parking in the wrong parking zone. Unbelievable they've left this for weeks.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

Maybe the council are hoping, if left long enough, all parts of the car get nicked, eventually leaving nothing to remove......
chicklet

Post by chicklet »

its gone :P
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

chicklet wrote:its gone :P
And there was MUCH rejoicing!