Car in Venner Square

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydres

Car in Venner Square

Post by sydres »

I'm sure many of you have noticed the crashed car left in Venner Square - does anybody know who to contact at the Council to get it removed?
biscuitman1978

Car in Venner Square

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I reported it several days ago via FixMyStreet - see here for the report, which was sent to Lewisham Council.

As it's still there, you might want to call Lewisham Council. Contact details are here.

If that doesn't get it moved, ask one of our councillors to put pressure on officers at the council to sort it out. Choose from one of the following:
- Cllr Best
- Cllr Curran
- Cllr Onikosi
sydres

Re: Car in Venner Square

Post by sydres »

Thanks biscuitman I'll call the council in the morning. Ever thought of running for councillor?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I did not notice it Monday morning.

Why Venner Square. Surely a square should have houses 4 sides.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Eagle wrote:I did not notice it Monday morning.

Why Venner Square. Surely a square should have houses 4 sides.
#pedantry
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

I may be wrong, but I wonder if many other London boroughs would have taken ~week to remove a crashed vehicle from the main shopping area of a busy street (and a pedestrian area at that!)... I think a more proactive action should have been taken
sydres

Post by sydres »

So one week later and still no progress from the Council. I tried calling both numbers on the Council's website - one message left on answer machine (no return call) and the other rang off after waiting in a queue for 30 mins. Perhaps one of our councillors would like to respond to this issue?
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Dont hold your breath! Of course there will ba an excuse...there always is...but we all know it is down to incompetence.
I' just waiting for it to be set alight one night as its a target for vandalism.
sydres

Post by sydres »

Spoke to Council finally - as the car is taxed it is the responsibility of the owner and/or insurance company to get it removed. As this hasn't happened the Council will visit the site on Monday to determine whether to put a 7 day notice of removal on the car. If deemed a danger the notice can be 24 hours.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Personally, I think it's a danger!
- it's a hazard to the sight impaired as they will not expect it to be there.
- it is damaged , sharp metal does not go well with the children who play there.
- it no doubt contains petrol and oil, has the fire brigade been informed as they may have an opinion regarding it being set slight?
- it is a magnet for vandalism and even though windows are safety glass we don't want kids picking it up.
The excuse that it is taxed and therefore the responsibility of the owner to remove, is quite frankly pathetic...it is illegally obstructing/"parked" on the square....
If I parked my car there or on the high street today for longer than 40 mins it would be ticketed, clamped and towed within a few hours. Why is this any different....so the person who owns it is getting 2-3 weeks "free parking" without so much as a ticket, but I get a big fine if I park longer than 40 mins on the street!!!
ARRRGH!

goes well with the pile of shit opposite...aka the TURDIS
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Lewisham, ask yourselves, would the is still be there in Richmond, Kingston, Or even the squares in Bromley?
The answer in NO, No, No, No ...!!!
parker

Post by parker »

Steveofsyd wrote:Lewisham, ask yourselves, would the is still be there in Richmond, Kingston, Or even the squares in Bromley?
The answer in NO, No, No, No ...!!!
This is what I always think... Lewisham is diabolical in too many ways.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

There are a number of issues on this board which need answers from our councillors who are conspicuous by their absence...come on ... please have the decency to let us know you care.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

we should organise a large group of us and go out there and move it to a parking spot on the high street. it'd then get ticketed and towed as stated above within a day or so.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

JRobinson
absolutely agree - it is highly irresponsible of the owner to leave it there and no idea why a local authority can't tow it immediately - the practice of parking four wheels on the pavement seems to have become a tradition of late in Sydenham for some reason, but count me in .
A very good evening
Nigel
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

If anyone sees a traffic warden, ask him to put several tickets on it, then we wait to see what happens. On Monday perhaps someone can pop into the bank to see if they will make a formal complaint to the council...also the Estate Agents.
sydres

Post by sydres »

Called the Council - the car will have a 7 day notice put on it. A 24 hour notice was not deemed appropriate apparently.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Whilst I concur that the vehicle needs to be moved. Rather than attack the council no one seems to be having a go at the lady or gentleman of dubious parentage who left the car there.

Surely quite easy for council/police to contact the registered owner.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Whilst I agree that the owner should remove, and before blame is cast...it may have been stolen for a joyride, it is up to the Council to ensure that its walkways are kept clear and safe. I stand by my earlier email that it is a potential danger for the aforementioned reasons. In addition I reiterate my assertion that the Council would have removed an illegally parked vehicle much more quickly. The only difference is this is MUCH worse...so yes...I do think we should attack our Council and its usual incompetence.
parker

Post by parker »

What's the point in paying the extortionate amount of council tax that we do (double that of Wandsworth) if when things go wrong like this they don't do anything about it, make cuts at the town hall so there's nobody to pick up the phone, put a stupid looking toilet outside the station and just leave it closed for months and let developers like Purelake get away with what they did to The Greyhound. Where's the value for money? They have us by the balls and that's why it is the way it is. It's stone ridiculous in a country like this we put up with it and that it is normal for it to be like this, for our tax we have a borough Mayor that's about as useful as a pair of glasses on a man with one ear.