Extra Caution On Zebra Crossing On The Bridge

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
The Eagle

Extra Caution On Zebra Crossing On The Bridge

Post by The Eagle »

Yesterday moring at 8am I had to go to the sorting office to collect a parcel. Within a matter of three minutes I saw 4 different incidents where someone was nearly hit by a vehicle. The problem is when cars are travelling from Cobbs Corner, as soon as they are approaching the crossing the sun shines right into their eyes and the driver CANNOT see a thing.

So please take extra care if the sun is shinning early in the mornings!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks for the heads up. Many drivers don't even slow down when approaching that crossing, let alone actually stop - whether they can see for the sun or not. It's good to be sure that traffic has stopped (or is clearly intending to stop) on both sides before setting off to cross.

As you say, there are so many near misses *shakes head*
NEMO

Post by NEMO »

I often drive over this crossing after dark. The lights of oncoming cars, even if dipped, blind you because of the slope of the bridge.
Pedestrians assume you can see them and cross before the traffic has stopped for them.
On top of all this, strangers to the area approaching the crossing for the first time cannot see there is a crossing there at all untill it is too late to slow down.

I think this is the most dangerous crossing I have ever seen.

Nemo.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

At the Sydenham Regeneration meeting, the TFL planners indicated that their preference in this location would be to replace the zebra with a pedestrian-controlled crossing.

The crossing they proposed would also 'sense' when pedestrians are still on the crossing - so the signal could not suddenly change when pedestrians are halfway across.

A system such as this would have some problems (would some impatient pedestrians refuse to wait for the signal to cross and simply jaywalk, for example). But a pedestrian-controlled crossing such as suggested properly used would remove the current unsafe features of this crossing both for pedstrians and motorists.