Street advertising on high street

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Bumble

Street advertising on high street

Post by Bumble »

I'm currently on maternity leave so have been going to Sydenham High Street on a regular basis during the day. The advertisers who sell on the public square next to Natwest are a bit of a menace (tend to be visa, talk talk, sky etc...) and I wanted to complain to the local council. Does anyone know which bit of the council I should speak to? They spoil the high street and on most days I avoid going on that side of the high street until I have passed them!
Parker1970

Re: Street advertising on high street

Post by Parker1970 »

Bumble wrote:I'm currently on maternity leave so have been going to Sydenham High Street on a regular basis during the day. The advertisers who sell on the public square next to Natwest are a bit of a menace (tend to be visa, talk talk, sky etc...) and I wanted to complain to the local council. Does anyone know which bit of the council I should speak to? They spoil the high street and on most days I avoid going on that side of the high street until I have passed them!
They have accosted me on the post office side of that square too and I do agree they can be rather.... well assertive is not quite the right word, but hard to avoid definitely. It's usually Vanquis Visa (who have very high interest rates) or talktalk internet who have one of the worst reputations in the industry, they have been on Watchdog numerous times, a fact I point out to them if they do manage to stop me in the street.. they soon back off, especially if you say it loudly so eveyone nearby hears you :P :P :P.

As to who to complain to, I am afraid I have no idea.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Councillor Chris Best is probably the best person to ask.
email: cllr_chris.best@lewisham.gov.uk
as she is active regarding promoting the two Squares.

From an earlier thread, I understand that such advertisers pay a full fee to the council for pitching their stand especially on days when it's the only revenue they earn from the Square.

Can't say I'd ever cross the road to avoid them, since they're only trying to earn a crust of bread and I'd have no problem chatting with them to set the world to rights, lol, if time was on my side. The reps can't be blamed for being put there. Whether the stand itself should be there...
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Yes we do have a problem with some of the sales people for Talk Talk pushing too hard. Lewisham Markets Manager has spoken to Talk Talk and the issue is that a third party is engaged to promote the product - I guess working on commission for every sign up. We have agreed to monitor the situation as the income helps cross subsidise the cost of the monthly market if not all the pitches are let. I was in the high street yesterday and the two promoters were in Queensthorpe on their pitch with a banner and a box so it was clear who was trading. The local Safer Neighbourhood Team are also monitoring the situation.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Thanks for the update.
Re. Pitches not being taken, have you thought of passing out an invitation to the successful market traders in the Bromley street market? They have a very vibrant market, perhaps they may want to test Sydenham....
Ultimately we need people to come in to the area, which they really don't, unlike Bromley, Beckenham or Crystal Palace.
The new banners on the lampposts (which I like and will look good at Christmas) could be used to promote.
Personally I think when the Greyhound is up and running, the markets will be more successful and stop the need for the sales people ( who are pretty absent in the aforementioned towns)