Dulwich Woodhouse "events"

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JMLF

Dulwich Woodhouse "events"

Post by JMLF »

Have loved the redo of the Woodhouse and have just spotted their "events" page which has a lot of cute little bits and pieces - e.g: free pint this week on national left-handers day if you can prove you are a lefty! Free bar snacks on a Monday if you cycle to the pub

Anyways, just enjoying the events and promotion of community get togethers (revamped pub quiz, offer of hosting a bookclub if anyone is interested etc)

http://www.thewoodhousedulwich.co.uk/whats-on
coll

Re: Dulwich Woodhouse "events"

Post by coll »

We've been to the Woodhouse twice since it reopened. The place looks amazing and garden is great for having a drink.

However, on both occasions we ate and the food was awful. Service was also horrendous. There was a large group of prams in the garden with "mummies" having coffee. When one of them decided to change her darling's nappy on the ground very near us, just as our food arrived, I asked the server to say something. Instead, she tried to block our view of what was happening a meter away from us as we ate. She was clearly not trained to deal with a situation like this. When I asked her again she spoke to the woman who was outraged that we had asked her to move.

We counted no less than 5 separate menus: Bar, Conservatory, Garden, lunch and pudding. Then there's the BBQ area, and side 'shed' serving smaller options which wasn't open on both visits. This all adds to the confusion of the place. It is a real shame because the Woodhouse looks so inviting. They need to get their act together in the kitchen, wait staff and management.

Sorry if this is not the correct thread to post this!
demeaux

Post by demeaux »

OH NO.
MUMMIES HAVING COFFEE?

Quick. Leave.

OH NOES I HOPE YOUR SENSIBILITIES WERE NOT RUINED.
Pally

Post by Pally »

People having coffee or whatever seems entirely reasonable, even with children!!! However I assume there is a suitable baby changing room provided in a refurbished pub so it does seem a bit thoughtless to be doing it where people are eating! Like it or not some people would find that offputting and a bit of consideration from all parties cant go amiss.

And no, I would NOT equate nappy changing and breast feeding in the same category, in case anyone feels they should ask! :)
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Yes I like the Woodhouse, and the garden is especially nice. Agree that the food is a bit hit and miss, we had to send one of our meals back when it arrived cold ( was supposed to be hot), however the fish and chips was very good on another occasion. Service a bit dodgy too, we were there early and it wasn't crowded but the waitress took ages bringing our drinks, and wasn't anywhere to be seen when we wanted our order taken and then the food took a long time to arrive. Plus it's not cheap, its such a shame as it could be lovely, but I couldn't recommend eating here.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Yes I like the Woodhouse, and the garden is especially nice. Agree that the food is a bit hit and miss, we had to send one of our meals back when it arrived cold ( was supposed to be hot), however the fish and chips was very good on another occasion. Service a bit dodgy too, we were there early and it wasn't crowded but the waitress took ages bringing our drinks, and wasn't anywhere to be seen when we wanted our order taken and then the food took a long time to arrive. Plus it's not cheap, its such a shame as it could be lovely, but I couldn't recommend eating here.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

No complaints from me about the newly refurbished Dulwich Woodhouse. I've eaten there 4 or 5 times since it reopened and yes - there may have been a few teething problems, but I thought the food was lovely. They seem to be keen to please - in fact I was there with a friend just today and the lady who was serving us in the conservatory was lovely.

The one thing that I did find vaguely intrusive when I was there before was about 3 or 4 different people asking me if 'everything was ok with the food'. Once is enough - I would soon let them know if it wasn't. But I see that as them being overly concerned to get things right.

I would not be best pleased if I was about to eat and someone proceeded to change a baby's nappy in the near vicinity. Not necessary as they have a baby change room inside. Some people just assume that because they have a baby they should be allowed to do anything they want with no thought to other people. Most of us have had kids and haven't lost our sensitivity to others in the process.
coll

Post by coll »

Demeaux,
Are we a bit touchy about this subject? I can assure you my sensibilities are well and truly intact as they have nothing to do with mummies having coffee. However, I would prefer not to have to observe a dirty nappy being changed while I am eating. Sorry but does that somehow make me insensitive, uncaring or intolerant ? :wink:
demeaux

Post by demeaux »

I can assure you, I'm not touchy about the subject.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

No issues with great feeding.

But as a parent, I never EVER changed my son near people eating. That is just very ignorant.

I look forward to trying the Dulwich Wood House. It was always a nice place to be.