Guardian's Let's Move To... feature

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

is doing Sydenham next week. They want comments etc by September 1st. Details on this week's article:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/a ... gis-dorset
Steveofsyd

Re: Guardian's Let's Move To... feature

Post by Steveofsyd »

Whilst we promote Sydenham, perhaps this is a good opportunity to highlight the awful Greyhound debacle, and maybe give Purelake the kick up the Arse they they need?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Steveofsyd
Brilliant idea ! I can see it now Tom Dyckhead : " places to hang out at : the greyhound - when they ***ing finish building it " .
Lets all bombard him with comments about it and see if we can't get it mentioned . Inspired thought if may say so .
A very good evening
Nigel
parker

Post by parker »

I dread to think how they're going to manage to glam this place up. They'll probably just use photographs of the houses in Halifax Street like they did on Location Location Location years ago.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The Dolphin Garden, The Golden Lion, Brown & Green, Mayor Park, most roads around the high street, On The Hoof, 161, Alhambra, The sushi place, Calabash, On The Hoof at the station and Bistro, The Lemon Tree, The Lovely Gallery, Wells Park, Kirkdale books, Blue Mountain Cafe, Sugahill…

Plenty of good things to talk the place up. Ok, there are lots of things that need to be better, but there is lots of potential with the Orb and the Greyhound and the units behind, Late Knights, the development in the high street (as long as they keep to the plans) and unfortunately the art deco building in Lower Sydenham is due of demolition, which I think it's a huge shame as it could be amazing.

Shame the council messed up with the toilet and final details of the high street, but they may finally get it all sorted if they pull their finger out rather than wasting all the money they spent on the high street.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Definitely with Lee on this. I sent over a small bullet point message basically saying how friendly sydders has been for me, green spaces, good range of functional shops, restaurants, drinking establishments and coffee shops which appears growing. Particularly mostly we'll run and independent stuff.
Also mentioned the great green spaces and the good transport links to nearby destinations for more and different choices as well as town.

Think it's a great place to be and will hopefully continue to be so.
parker

Post by parker »

JMLF wrote:Think it's a great place to be and will hopefully continue to be so.
I used to think/say that about 7 years ago and in that time not enough has changed for the better. Too many problems with its appearance stop me feeling proud of Sydenham. The buses still smell of fried chicken too!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Haven't noticed that but then I have a poor sense of smell.

When we moved here neither of us used public transport and didn't even consider the transport links. What a transformation. Our cars are now a bit of an embarrassment on the drive. We have the 24/7 176 service at the bottom of the road which even my daughters feel quite comfortable on returning from Town in the early hours after the trains have stopped. And the trains are now really great. Eight an hour. Bit squashed at rush hour but where isn't? Most of the time a comfortable and speedy way into town - well except the Victoria loop - but when we are in a hurry Penge East sorts that.

Crossrail will bring another dimension to travel making much easier and faster access to the difficult journeys atm. Changing at Whitechapel will bring West London and Heathrow plus going out East much nearer in time.

The real disaster on the transport front is cycling. Having a petrol head as mayor has relegated Lewisham as probably the most poorly served borough in London. But that's another story. If all else fails (and I know your issues with Southern) Sydenham is still close enough in to commute with a morning and evening run and save on those gym bills. Oh yes we have a choice of three very different gyms if you don't.

Stuart
sydres

Post by sydres »

What happened to the article this week then?
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Must be another week away. They asked last week for views so I assumed it'd run this week. Clearly not.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

I wrote a few points to the Guardian - mainly praising the area, with reference to Mayow Park and the good cafes and bars and having a moan about the Greyhound debacle. I wonder when they'll run the Let's Move To ... feature - is it on Fridays or Saturdays?
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

The 'Let's Move To...' feature is in the Guardian Weekend magazine on Saturdays.

Areas are often profiled several weeks after the newspaper has asked for information, despite the demanding deadline it sets for contributions.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

It appears online on a Friday at 16:30 but think it will be featured 2-3 weeks from now. Can tell by counting forward from each request for input to the actual date of each article appears.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Yes, it appears to take approximately 4-5 weeks from the request, to the publication.....

I'll be interested in what is said! I'm sure they will mention the usual words such as 'rejuvination' and 'gentrification' and phrases such as 'the next place to be' etc given the huge expense of most of the rest of London.... They may well be right, but in 16 years that I have been in SE26, I am still waiting (patientially of course) for the material signs of this (and I stress the word 'material')....
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

I lived in Brixton for almost 20 years. In fact I still do – I'm on this forum because, touch wood, we should be moving to Sydenham in about 1 month! From where, if my past form is anything to go on, we'll probably never move.

During those 20 Brixton years, there were always routine murmurs about how Brixton was on the up. It was and it wasn't.

But when gentrification hit, it hit hard and very suddenly. I'd say between 2012 and now. Brixton's become more or less unrecognisable. Well on its way to Notting Hill levels. Which is good news for landlords. Good news for property developers and estate agents. Good news for those who own their own home (that is, those of them who won't ever need to upgrade from a flat to a house). But bad news for renters. Long-term, it's also bad news for local businesses too as they end up getting priced out of their shops, replaced by more chi-chi boutiques. So ... it's a case of being careful what you wish for... Lambeth council are behaving pretty apallingly, seemingly treating Brixton's ascendancy as a license to print money by ditching as much social housing as possible in order to flog it to property developers.
FromCtoShiningC

Hi monkeyarms - if you do come to Sydenham, then greetings indeed, and best wishes for the move out to SE26.I hope that all goes well

In my previous post, I stressed the word 'material', as I know things HAVE improved, but not to the levels I would have hoped for.

Yes we have had some great new pubs and restaurants open in the last 16 years, but I feel we are still let down by areas such as the top end of Kirkdale. When I moved to SE26 that end had much more of a vibe e.g. small antiques shops.... now it is slipping and I would LOVE the opening up there of a restaurant such as Wahaca, as has recently opened in Brixton. I know that some may see a such as restaurant as a sign of gentrification, but I can't see what is to object to an excellently run eaterie, with great employees, fab fod and a fresh and funky feel. It would bring locals and visitors in abundance.

For me, SE26 (as I have long said), has a great housing stock (equal of Brixton in its Victorian and Edwardian mix) and certainly a high Street that has great potential. But - where a new venture opens and its another nail bar, or shop selling phone chargers, I feel it's a shame......(although I know they have their place, and offer what some people want)....

For me, I am happy to swap the word 'gentrification' for 'improvement'. I know the latter word can be subjective, but for me it's about having clean and tidy streets, houses that are being done UP and not left to rot (or - worse still are having their lovely original features and windows ripped out) and having a high street that caters to all of its population (and visitors) so there doesn't need to be a flight out of SE26 to the likes of Dulwich or Crystal Palace for a decent night out....

So, in short, yes SE26 is improving, but not at the speed I'd like to see. The turnaround of the Greyhound (albeit moving at the pace of a sloth) will make a big difference. and fingers crossed that the new retailer under the Orb is one that moves SE26 in the right direction...
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

FromCtoShiningC wrote: [...] a fresh and funky feel [...].
That's the sort of expression which makes me want to lash out angrily with my Zimmer frame.

Why are restaurants and coffee shops so important in judging whether somewhere's a nice place to live? I've lived here happily for more than ninety years and rarely go near such establishments.
FromCtoShiningC

Hi Robin. I am only writing down my opinion of what would provide an alternative to what is in situ currently (or in many cases an alternative to an empty property).

We all have views on what would make somewhere special and I have simply outlined mine. Variety is the spice of life, and that works well in the world of eateries, but all I am seeking IS an alternative...

Please no lashing out with the Zimmer Frame! :-O.... and in all seriousness, that establishment serves some wonderfully flavoursome food

Let's hopefully agree to disagree on this one....
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

This is getting spicy! I wonder if "Zimmer fights" will be included in the Guardian feature?

Sydenham is still very "real". Many places that suddenly get "gentrified" attract all sorts of t***s and the area loses its character and community feel. Living in ED for a number of years prior to moving to Sydenham reflected a good example of this. I imagine Brixton is suffering from this as well.

So long as Sydenham continues its slow and steady improvement, then that can only be a good thing.

The great housing stock, numerous parks and excellent transport links will always mean Sydenham is a good place to live.
FromCtoShiningC

Hi decchips - thanks for the note. That's why this forum is great, because of being able to find out info like this. I will put that on my to-do list. I'll give it a whirl for sure...

Thanks and I'm glad of the success of that pub. I've not been there for several years, so will come and visit.