Free guided walk on Saturday 26th

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Ian Bull

Free guided walk on Saturday 26th

Post by Ian Bull »

Hullo everyone

Do you enjoy walking? Would you like a free, guided walk through superb scenery on Saturday 26th? Ever wondered where all those Green signposts point to?

How about 21 miles from Crystal Palace on the 'Green Chain Walk'? Don't worry, the camaraderie and the scenery melt those miles away, you can do this!

Over the past nine years I've led dozens walks on the 'Green Chain' footpath network for the GCW itself and TfL's 'Walk London' project. I've had the pleasure of the company of thousands, including some hundreds from this very forum, as a result. (By the way, we were concentrating on the Eastern part of the GCW a little too much but hope to offer more walks in and around Sydenham next year.)

The very best of these walks is this one, the annual 'Green Chain Megawalk', London's longest established long-distance guided walk and always a very friendly event. Hundreds have taken part, all have thoroughly enjoyed the day, and many return every year.

The walk retains its popularity by passing through some of the Capital's finest landscape, unquestionably its finest woodland, and offers wonderful views over London and Kent stretching right out into the Thames Estuary and over Essex. In our routes's 21 miles no less than 63% is off the highway, increasing to 72% after lunch. Remarkable and unsurpassed figures for a London walk of that length. No one who's finished this walk has come away disappointed. Here are the details...

* Meet outside Crystal Palace railway station at 09.15, Saturday 26th September.

* There's no need to book.

* Finish by the Thames at Erith at 18.30 (6.30pm).

* Join or leave at any point, public transport is excellent throughout.

* A packed lunch is essential.

* You must be able to maintain average walking pace for most of the day, that's 3mph.

* If you must walk faster than 3mph this isn't for you.

* The walk is steep in parts after lunch.

* You'll need waterproof footwear if it's been raining heavily.

* There's a short bus journey from Erith to Plumstead for trains back to central London.

* If you have them, bring binoculars!

The walk will be conducted by TfL/Walk London's highly experienced SE London team of Allen Conley, Jim Kernick, and myself. I'm the Green Chain's maintenance surveyor so we're not going to get lost - I hope!

You can read more about the Green Chain here...

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/walking/green-chain-walk

Note that this is not a TfL/Walk London event. Their walks have been put-back to 17th & 18th October, too late to offer the 'Megawalk' in its full glory as we wouldn't finish in daylight. Yet it's too good to miss, so we're offering this complete version on the usual date at our own expense. The walk is free but exceptionally, donations towards those expenses will not be refused should you truly wish to make any.

Please feel free to ask for any further details. I do hope you can take part, you certainly won't regret doing so!

All the best

Ian Bull