Motorbikes riding on the pavement today in Sydenham High St

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sparticus

Re: Motorbikes riding on the pavement today in Sydenham High

Post by sparticus »

I expect it was a Muslim.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Spartacus
Is that you or a slightly confused monkey that's just stumbled upon Bob Monkhouse's book of gags ?

All the offence with none of the wit .
A very good afternoon
Nigel
mosy

Post by mosy »

Sounds more like lack of forethought than spite, i.e. could the rider have underestimated the weight-loading (stability) of the bike with a passenger after rounding a corner? Still no excuse, nor an excuse for going at that speed either if incompetent to control his bike. If deliberate, the mind boggles.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Mosy
there was no lack of forethought - several people have been nearly hurt by these people . Just to be clear the entire road going up from Cobbs to top of Kirkdale was empty - he mounted the kerb at a drop kerb/ramp and then accelerated up to 30mph plus . This was not like a cyclist detouring across a bit of pavement when roads are jammed this was a decision .
I can't say how far he got along the pavement but he was certainly out of my sight (I was stuck in traffic opposite LA Fitness) I suspect he got to Jews Walk at least .

He was last seen by someone else on this forum hurtling round the corner on the pavement , into Lawrie Park , again from Cobbs - that time with another bike following . I am sure someone is going to get hurt soon . It's bad enough with cyclists , including a regular offender who on one occasion was rude to Mrs Nigel when she challenged him but motor bikes are something else - more weight x more speed = more momentum = more damage .

I think anyone that catches his number plate should call the police with it before someone is hurt - I definitely will .

A very good evening
Nigel
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thank you for further describing the event Nigel. I was hoping it was a one-off misjudgement but if seemingly deliberate... :(
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

There were quite a few motorbike sounds coming over my to my garden from Cator Rd yesterday. I am not sure what can be done - the police don't seem to care or are hamstrung in some way.

I was waiting in some traffic at the Mayow/S High St junction, and a guy came up the inside on a scooter thing, then wheelied up the high st. It was an impressive move, but pretty dangerous. I then heard another one come along, and he went into the outer lane, probably about outside the Dolphin and went onto two wheels - even more impressive as it was a quad bike!

On this occasion, the only people really in danger were them themselves I think, although it may have caused the odd heart attack, but frankly something needs to be done, as I saw the incident on the pavement as mentioned on this thread, and that could easily have killed someone.

I feel the need to shove a stick in their wheel spokes or something so they go head over the bars - but then, I probably get done for reckless endangerment - ironic seeing as they are recklessly endangering the lives of those on the pavement.

I can't quite understand why the police can't do anything about this - can someone explain the legal position to me? As Nigel said in an earlier post, there must be some footage on a cctv.
_HB

Post by _HB »

The Met have got themselves in a bit of a mess. There was an incident last year where the Police gave chase to some yoots on mopeds and one of them fell off and was killed. As a result, London wide, the advice to Police officers is to not engage and, whatever you do, don't give chase.

After all the trouble with the motorbike gangs on Halloween, the Met announced that they are working on a strategy for dealing with this and will announce it soon. We're still waiting.

So, for the time being at least, there's really very little that anyone can (or is willing to) do.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

_HB wrote:The Met have got themselves in a bit of a mess. There was an incident last year where the Police gave chase to some yoots on mopeds and one of them fell off and was killed. As a result, London wide, the advice to Police officers is to not engage and, whatever you do, don't give chase.

After all the trouble with the motorbike gangs on Halloween, the Met announced that they are working on a strategy for dealing with this and will announce it soon. We're still waiting.

So, for the time being at least, there's really very little that anyone can (or is willing to) do.
Surely the police have got more to lose by failing to stop these hooligans than getting in a pickle about the legal process. I mean the fact that they gave chase and a guy was killed is a tragic incident, but here there are genuinely lives at risk for pedestrians, whereas there, the major risk was to the unfortunate clown on the bike?

I dunno, but something has to be done. If this impasse above exists, then this has to go higher, otherwise a pedestrian becomes the sacrificial lamb.
stuart

Post by stuart »

The problem is that while they are a great danger to pedestrians and other vulnerable road users - they are likely to be a lot more dangerous with a police car chasing them. The police see themselves in an impossible position and I sympathise.

While they try and figure out a way to control this menace we should worry that success will just divert these kids into another crazy exploit. A fair number of kids actively seek danger and thrills. Its hardwired into their mentality. Perhaps some of us never had or forgotten it?

Do we need to think how kids can get thrills and spills, hopefully without hurting themselves too badly, but importantly not putting others at risk. Hanging off mountains, surfing, banger car racing or whatever? The way I see it the over-zealous H&S policies at school may just feed the lust to compensate outside school. It has a name: Risk Compensation

Stuart