Bromley's new streetlighting

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
alywin

Bromley's new streetlighting

Post by alywin »

Over the last week or so, Bromley has been replacing the old streetlights - or at least their lighting elements - in the Venner Road "toastrack", at least, with new, very bright what appear to be LED lights. I was wondering how people living in that area were finding them? I've heard reports of the light seeping into bedrooms much more, and it seems to be almost as bright as day walking around late at night. I know one thing: glaringly bright lights are liable to trigger migraines in my case, so if anyone spots somebody staggering around with their eyes shut it may well be me :)

One good thing, though, appears to be that the shadows they make vehicles cast seem to be less dark, so maybe that'll mean no areas of pavement so dark that you don't know where you're putting your feet - and in what.
FromCtoShiningC

Re: Bromley's new streetlighting

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

yes - I noticed this the other day whilst walking through that area - they are similar in terms of their light to 'floodlights' at a sports stadium. Very 'white' bright lights. I preffered the more 'yellow' lights previously which were not so bright.
That said, If they help provide important light for people walking along, or people trying to park, then it's a good thing. Safety should be the most important thing (better street lighting also helps combat certain types of crime too in theory).

So, mixed thoughts. Personally, I'm not keen on the overall design (give me sturdy Victorian style lamps any day, but I do tend to be rather traditional in that way :-) )
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

There is one directly outside my house and of course my bedroom, however I like a lot of folks have blackout lining in my curtains being west facing (sunsets). The lights are also cleverly angled to cover the pavement and street so actually cause me less if a nuisance than the old round ones which I could see from the lounge.
As for safety and parking, a big thumbs up from me, perhaps less scrapes in our narrow road from now on.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Oh well, that's good to know :). You're right, they are very flat, but at the same time they do spill into the ground floors and gardens quite a bit. I'm wondering if they'll put off the local wildlife.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I have a vague memory that the council can be asked to adjust the directionally (on some lights) if a complaint is made about one shining/beaming directly into their abode unacceptably. If anyone is affected, it might be worth asking.