WG Grace

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Mayowthorpe

WG Grace

Post by Mayowthorpe »

It's 100 years today since the passing of the great WG Grace, who lived in Sydenham for many years.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/34602879

A true legend!
Eagle

Re: WG Grace

Post by Eagle »

Yes I noticed this landmark . An amazing sportsman , He resides in Beckenham Crem along with Thomas Crapper.
KEO

Post by KEO »

There was a good documentary about him on Radio 4 this morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06k95ct
cannidote

Post by cannidote »

Legend!
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Yes - I have long said he deserves to have a statue of him at the roundabout by the Greyhound. Not everyone's cup of tea (either Grace or said statue), but I think it would look fabulous (visitors to Sydenham from the North being greeted by a Victorian sporting giant with a huge beard and hitting a 6 for England!)
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

I for one would support such a statue.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

I can see it now up on a lovely stone plinth... a lovely bronze like this one (if only.... :-) )

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3417457

(in fairness to the image - The statue, by Louis Laumen, is in the Coronation Garden.

© Copyright John Sutton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence)
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Out of the question, I'm afraid. 'A single figure on a pedestal (or a roundabout) is a figure of authority, not inclusion', say the experts. See https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... rt#p118215
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Not a fan of cricket but i would support a statue of WG - whether "inclusive" or not .
It seems highly relevant to Sydenham and quite fitting .
Of course if anyone finds a link to Ghandi , the Dalai Lama or even Roy Orbison happy to go with the too , but until then ,WG could be a good bet .
Best of all a beautiful tree like at the roundabout in Sydenham Avenue but that of course is unlikely to happen .
A very good evening
Nigel
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

To whom do we need to speak in order to add Mr William Gilbert Grace to a position on the roundabout?

As Nigel said, you don't need to be a cricket fan to appreciate the contribution he made to the local area.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Mayowthorpe wrote:To whom do we need to speak in order to add Mr William Gilbert Grace to a position on the roundabout?.
Someone with lots of spare money, perhaps?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Fine cricketer , but not good sportsman.

When given out would often stay saying the public have come to see me so not out.

Already a Plaque in Lorry Park Road

If a Plaque or Statue installed at Cobb's Corner, do not forget good old Walter himself.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Very witty old chap.

He was the person the public came to see and he was determined that they should whether he was given out , or not.

I wonder if he ever drank in The Greyhound ?

Infact who was the first drinker in the esteemed establishment ? Ethelread the Unread perhaps.
blakewho

Post by blakewho »

Grace wasn't quite such dishonourable sportsman he is often portrayed as - and don't forget that while routinely condemned in cricket for 'shamateurism', he used to waive fees for poorer patients in his Bristol GP practice. I heartily recommend Richard Tomlinson's new biography 'Amazing Grace: the Man who was WG'. Copies are available, I believe, in Kirkdale books.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

A statue on the Cobbs Corner roundabout would be a great idea. We could have a competition as to which famous resident of Sydenham should be so honoured. I don't think a cricketer, however illustrious, trumps Ernest Shaclketon, or Elenor Marx, or my particular favourite, a statue to the building workers killed in the construction of Crystal Palace and memorialised in the churchyard of St Barts. A statue to all the workers who died in the service of capitalism.
Maria

Post by Maria »

sparticus wrote:a statue to the building workers killed in the construction of Crystal Palace and memorialised in the churchyard of St Barts. A statue to all the workers who died in the service of capitalism.
I will add my vote to those two groups as well.