Bob Wines

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Whiftoff

Re: Bob Wines

Post by Whiftoff »

I've emailed. Probably worth other people doing so as well
_HB

Post by _HB »

I certainly hope our Councillors are not planning to make a planning decision that goes outside of their remit as explained in Biscuitman's post. I've already got the FOI request saved as draft in my e-mail for if this one is refused.

Bob's Wines is clearly a business that will be a welcome addition to the High St.
mosy

Post by mosy »

It's a bit unfair to say that other local shops on the high street don't sell quality wines as they do if you know what you're looking for. That is exactly why Bob's Wines will distinguish itself - by having a knowledge of their wines and no doubt will be able to make recommendations, whereas several current vendors are themselves non-drinkers so cannot react to customer questions as a sommelier would.

It would be a huge mistake IMO to assess Bob's Wines as if it were just another booze retailer which is way off the mark by all accounts.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Bob's don't just do wines. They also do craft beers too.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

to be fair she doesn't specifically say that she's going to object to it, just that there are two similar places next door, and that she's going to continue to promote variety.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

I have emailed Cllr Best and mad my thoughts clear... ie I really hope the application is successful, Bob's would seem to be a great boon to the area, I certainly will be patronising frequently
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

My experience with Councillor Best has always been very poor.

Any comment / information she has provided generally involves a lack of research or knowledge of the matters in question, and she is always slow to respond.

Its a shame people like this have such power when they are creating absolutely no value for the area.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Wow, that's harsh. Chris Best seems quite good to me although I've often thought her hands must be tied about some things and others she probably doesn't "feel" if she doesn't live around here. Her good intentions for the area might be better directed to the vacant outlets to be leased near The Greyhound. No argument from me with her good intentions as long as appropriately focussed.

Hopefully Bob's Wines (and Craft Beers) will be approved as I doubt many cheers would go up for a "last resort" betting or "cash" shop.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

This was part of the article in the Sydenham Society News about SEE3 including the Christmas calendar which residents in Sydenham and Forest Hill ward should have received through their doors.
The past year has seen some interesting new commercial businesses open on the high street and the latest is at 167 Sydenham Road – the Beer Revolution as part of the Late Knights hand crafted brewery. The premises were once a betting shop but has been empty for many years. As part of SEE3 we were able to take this on as a pop-up shop in 2013. I now hope with the granting of an alcohol licence this will prove a popular destination to bring more footfall to this part of the high street.
I am little concerned with the number of off licence applications - the latest in in 4 Station Approach from Bob’s Wines for the Retail Sale of Alcohol for consumption off the premises 10:00 - 22:00 Monday to Saturday and 11:00 - 21:00 Sunday. Round the corner we have two off licenses at 3 and 5 Sydenham Road.
I will continue to promote the need for a greater diversity of retail outlets – from our surveys we know that residents would like to see more traders supporting an evening economy and also a deli, women’s clothes and shoe shop.

I supported the granting of an alcohol licence at 167 Sydenham Road and recognise that Bob’s Wines is a different offer – and I am not objecting to the alcohol licence at 4 Station Approach. I support Bob's Wines as a business. The point that I was making to members of the Sydenham Society is that, from our surveys, there is a demand for a wider offer in the high street. I have written in the past about the Council’s work on limiting fast food takeaways – A5 use class but that we have limited powers on restricting the opening of betting shops. Over the past few years we have seen a rise in the number of applications for off licences and with long opening hours from early morning eg 6am to late eg midnight.

Lee I am not a trader and never have been the chair of the traders association – there are a few traders who are active in promoting in the high street and it is for traders to organise themselves. We do have a Sydenham Town Centre Steering Group that is made up of several high street traders, market traders, Sydenham Society members, Sydenham Arts, Sydenham SNT ward panel etc. Our discussions include promoting the high street – organising events for market days, Easter, Halloween, Christmas etc

If residents want to help promote the high street why not come and support the markets this Saturday – here is the info on the red Christmas baubles that are in the high street:

Christmas shopping in Sydenham
10am – 5.30pm Sydenham Pop Up Shop
Christmas Fair - Here for Good, 17 Sydenham Road, SE26 5EX
http://www.thesydenhampopupshop.co.uk

11am – 5pm Christmas Market on Venner and Queensthorpe Square
Indian and Caribbean food, home made cakes and a range of unique Christmas gifts including jewellery, candles and cards

4pm – 5pm Dog Fancy Dress Competition with prizes
Whites Pet Centre, 80 Sydenham Road , SE26 5EX

Live music from Peter Ceasar

Sydenham Extravaganza - 3pm The Sydenham Centre 44a Sydenham Road SE26 5QF
Tea Party and entertainment
3pm Red Hot and Blue - Foot tapping New Orleans Jazz
3.30 – 4.10pm Old Time Music Hall
4.15 – 5pm Red Hot and Blue
5pm Christmas carols Christmas Tree lights switched on at Queensthorpe Square with Santa and his Reindeer

Look forward to seeing everyone in the high street on Saturday.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Thank you Chris for the reply, and the clarity you've outlined.

My reading of the note suggests that you'd not object to Bob Wines per se, but given the context in which you were originally sharing your thoughts, you were highlighting the position re off licences for the broader community (some of who may have raised previous objections).

My personal view, is that Bob Wines would be a GREAT addition to Sydenham, and would go as far as to say we must actively encourage businesses like this.

I would certainly visit the shop with a view of spending money. I find that the rest of Sydenham doesn't offer me the selection I would be seeking (apart from possibly the larger supermarkets). So, I shop elsewhere for wine.

Therefore, Bob Wines would (if the information provided is correct) attract me to shop in Sydenham for wine, whereas otherwise I wouldn't. I know others who feel the same.

Another point - probably more important for me - is that this is the type of aspirational venture that I think SE26 very much needs. I was in Crystal Palace recently, and the number of exciting new food and drink options was amazing. Why can this be the case in CP and not in Sydenham? We should encourage options for our high street that are not just about transactional shopping, but are about experiences.

I realise this is just my opinion but I would be very upset if this venture was not given the go ahead in this very visible area of our town (just outside of the train station that people walk past in large numbers).

For the sake of good wine (and other drinks I'm sure) and for the sake of Sydenham's development, let's give this support!
harrym

Post by harrym »

I couldn't agree more! Bring on Bob and all his lovely cool fun friends x
chrism

Post by chrism »

Was in the Anerley shop today and it is fab! Apart from wine, they had a great selection of small distillery gins and other fun stuff. They expect to open in Sydenham in 6-8 weeks.
mosy

Post by mosy »

A notice in the window at 4 Station Approach, Sydenham, SE26 5EU says that objections to Bob's Wines had to be raised by 23 Nov 15 and if any a public hearing would take place after that date. I can't find it on the Lewisham planning applications site. Does anyone know a link where it's listed (to see progress)? Ta,
biscuitman1978

Bob Wines

Post by biscuitman1978 »

mosy wrote:A notice in the window at 4 Station Approach, Sydenham, SE26 5EU says that objections to Bob's Wines had to be raised by 23 Nov 15 and if any a public hearing would take place after that date. I can't find it on the Lewisham planning applications site. Does anyone know a link where it's listed (to see progress)? Ta,
This was an application for a licence to sell alcohol, so you won't find it in the planning applications section of the Lewisham website.

Instead, you need to go to http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/b ... fault.aspx, then download the spreadsheet of current licensed premises. You'll see that Bob Wines (or Bobs Wines as Lewisham Council prefers to refer to it) is included in the list.

In other words, it appears that Bob Wines has been granted a licence to sell alcohol. Good news!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Yay, found it, thanks for the link. So far so good...

On Chris Best's point about concern that lots of local shops sell alcohol, I spoke to one recently that doesn't sell it. He told me that offering it was a big draw as those buying it would often then pick up other things and were likely to choose selectively which shop sold the other things they'd also want. I.e. only so much money floating around however many shops offered some for sale. Probably the same as confectionery sweets, crisps and nuts everywhere but doesn't mean every customer will buy some. I agree not the same as a whole shop given over to alcohol, which is what sets Bob Wines (and craft beers) apart if they know their stuff.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

indeed, if I'm shopping for other things, and want beer or wine as well, then I'd get them at the same place (Co-op, Lidl, Sainsbury, etc), but if I want a specific beer or wine, or something for a special occaision, then this place would be where I'd go. So lets hope it's good.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Wine is funny if you like wine, as beers are too in their own right. If you find one (or two or three) that you like, you will always make the effort to go to that shop, special occasion or not, but Bob Wines would certainly benefit if the vendor knew his wines and what might suit guests who could well have different tastes.
sydres

Post by sydres »

This appears to confirm Bob is due to open soon:
http://www.wsetglobal.com/386.asp?jid=1991
Looking forward to it!
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Great news for Sydenham, for all of the reasons I mentioned in an earlier post. Very best wishes... and I certainly will visit and see what delights are on offer!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Signs of activity in the shop today...