Bob Wines

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
biscuitman1978

Bob Wines

Post by biscuitman1978 »

The eagle-eyed among you will have spotted a notice (see http://imgur.com/DHnzJJN) on the former 'Sydenham Retail' unit on Station Approach which brings news that Bob Wines plan to open a new shop.

I haven't checked out their shop in Crystal Palace, but it all looks very impressive on the web. Looking forward to their arrival in Sydenham!

More at:
- Website - http://www.bobwines.co.uk/
- Twitter - https://twitter.com/bobknowswine
- Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Bobknowswine
- Google+ - https://plus.google.com/100793536002948315628/posts
Mayowthorpe

Re: Bob Wines

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Thanks for the heads up, biscuitman!

This is another welcome addition to Sydenham. Great to see a diverse range of stores opening in the area!
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

That’s great news. I see from they’re Twitter that they have an affiliation with CHID in Anerley. You can buy wine from Bob and drink it in CHID. Sounds like a good plan that would could work well in SE26.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

That's an exciting venture. I wish this the best of fortune if/when (hopefully) they come to Sydenham. I like their style! and I'm sure their wine will be rather good too!
harrym

Post by harrym »

Woo! I'm excited. Bob looks cool.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Yes. From my point of view I'm looking forward to a shop with a decent selection of beer too. I have to go to either borough market or Oddbins in London Bridge to get decent takeaway beer. Or I drink my own brews, of course.

G-Man
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

There's a little convenience store / off licence at the back of Forest Hill station (beside the Perry Vale) that sells local beers.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

161 in Kirkdale and I'm almost certain Beer Rebellion on Syd high street have a selection of bottled beers, typically localism (late knight - penge, canopy - Herne hill, Brixton - !, Orbit - Walworth etc...). Sugarhill cafe also along with late nights thurs through sat - not sure if licensed to takeout also.

Not quite as local but closer than in town crystal palace "good food" (I think that's what's it's called) has a huge selection of beers (and other booze) considering how small it is. Also has delicious cheese/deli wares etc.

Ps: when I say certain - as in licensed and available for take-away
mosy

Post by mosy »

Just a small addition, Beer Rebellion also sell from several barrels that aren't "fizzy tap" counter ones (sorry, don't know proper descriptive words).

Look forward to Bob's Wines, although in drinking terms, like The Greyhound, it's a little while in the future I gather.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

JMLF wrote:161 in Kirkdale and I'm almost certain Beer Rebellion on Syd high street have a selection of bottled beers, typically localism (late knight - penge, canopy - Herne hill, Brixton - !, Orbit - Walworth etc...). Sugarhill cafe also along with late nights thurs through sat - not sure if licensed to takeout also.

Not quite as local but closer than in town crystal palace "good food" (I think that's what's it's called) has a huge selection of beers (and other booze) considering how small it is. Also has delicious cheese/deli wares etc.
Yes, Beer Rebellion do, but their take out prices on bottles and cans are silly compared to what you should be paying. One little fault to an otherwise great place.

I've think I've heard about the Palace shop. But I'm lazy. I just want something convenient.. Somewhere the G-lady and I can easily pop into to grab some nice beers as and when we choose.

Thanks for the tips though all. I'll keep them up my sleeve.

G-Man
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

Just read this in the Sydenham society newsletter by cllr best

"...I am concerned with the number of off licence applications - the latest is 4 station approach from bobs wines for the retail sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises 10am-10pm Monday to Saturday and 11am - 9pm on Sundays. Just around the corner we have two off licences at 3 and 5 Sydenham road. I will continue to promote the need for a greater diversity of retail outlets- from our surveys we know that residents would like to see more traders supporting an evening economy and also a deli, women's clothes and shoe shop..."

Really hope they're application isn't rejected due to other off licences as think it would be a great addition to the high street.
mosy

Post by mosy »

If you walk down Station Approach inbetween morn and eve rush hours it is virtually deserted and the shop in question has a tiny floor space therefore it is not a "prime location" in my view which is probably why the convenience store moved away.

The hairdresser next door succeeds because it is a "go to" shop that doesn't rely on footfall. I imagine Bob's Wines would do well if a different offering from the relatively nearby outlets. For a shoe or clothes shop, I'd wonder how long it would last even if competition didn't arrive from the yet-to-be-let vacant retail outlets near The Greyhound. I suspect it could stay empty for a while if Bob's Wines is turned down.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

That's sooooo disappointing!!!

She should be promoting this kind of establishment in Sydenham. Clearly hasn't got a clue as to the type of products they sell. The other 'off licenses' sell pretty average stuff - including Super strength lager and cut price vodka. They will be a new offering to the high street. She clearly hasn't contacted Bob's Wines to talk about their offering, which is something they have kindly posted details of how to next to their application. Short sited this is. Unbelievable.

I'm sorry but this has really annoyed me. We need to support this application!

G-Man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I find Chris Bests comments depressing, especially as she's supposed to be chair of the 'traders association'!!!.

Bob Wines is a bit higher end than most other off-licences and isn't the same as the other off licenses she describes. G-man has this bang on. It's very outdated thinking.

High streets need grouping these days. A deli may work as there is a decent food offer in Sydenham, but general shops like shoe shops, women's clothes shops etc need clustering to offer choice and thrive. High streets are changing (and they need to change). Bob Wines is run by someone who clearly loves wines and this should be encouraged. Some people may want a high street like the past, with one shoe shop, one clothes shop etc, but that's what really works these days.

It's about 30 years out of date!

I hope Chris reconsiders. We don't need this sort of thinking here for our high street to flourish. I hope both our local cllrs and the Sydenham Society engage with the owners and help it happen.
biscuitman1978

Bob Wines

Post by biscuitman1978 »

jonekt wrote:Just read this in the Sydenham society newsletter by cllr best

"...I am concerned with the number of off licence applications - the latest is 4 station approach from bobs wines for the retail sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises 10am-10pm Monday to Saturday and 11am - 9pm on Sundays. Just around the corner we have two off licences at 3 and 5 Sydenham road. I will continue to promote the need for a greater diversity of retail outlets- from our surveys we know that residents would like to see more traders supporting an evening economy and also a deli, women's clothes and shoe shop..."

Really hope they're application isn't rejected due to other off licences as think it would be a great addition to the high street.
It's worth noting that there is no basis for refusing an application for a licence because someone would prefer different kinds of shops.

Objections to applications for licences must relate to one or more of these four objectives.
1. The prevention of crime and disorder
2. Public safety
3. The prevention of nuisance
4. The protection of children from harm

An objection based on a preference for a shoe shop (or indeed a deli, a women's clothes shop or any other type of shop) doesn't sit neatly with those objectives.
paddyh

Post by paddyh »

Have to say I also find it really disappointing that Cllr Best has chosen to specifically speak out against an individual application particularly if she hasn't looked into the potential new business which isn't too hard to do. Bobs Wines in Crystal Palace is a place people go out of their way to go to which is most certainly the type of business Sydenham should be hoping to attract, and especially if she's writing that either as a Councillor or chair of the traders association. If she is writing that in either of those capacities surely she should only comment on the subject in general rather than specifically about a particular application which while it shouldn't affect the application (thanks Biscuitman) doesn't feel particularly fair or welcoming to potential new Sydenham business owners. If that is the attitude that is portrayed to potential new businesses they will hardly be queuing to open in Sydenham or want to become involved with the traders association.

Would she prefer a unit sits empty instead? I wouldn't think that unit would be suitable for any of her suggestions of types of shops that apparently people are asking for (though I've certainly never been asked what type of shops I would like to come to the high street). It's not like there aren't empty units available in the area, so it's not stopping anything else opening. Perhaps if she decides she wants to say she is speaking for residents she should ensure that what she is saying is actually representative, not just of a small group or sample.

I was excited upon hearing it might be opening, and have used it and some other new openings over the last year or so like Beer Rebellion and 161 Kirkdale, to talk up Sydenham to some friends who've never come here, so as I said I was very disappointed to see what Cllr Best had put, and hope she might re-think what she's put into a public arena.
sydres

Post by sydres »

Have to say I agree with what has been said so far on this subject. With all the talk about promoting the high street from Cllr Best on many occasions, she doesn't appear to be aware or well informed when an opportunity like this arises. If she did her homework a little more thoroughly she would realise that Bob Wines is not just another off licence selling alcohol. I see no reason why the application should be rejected.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Additionally if you look at Bob's Facebook page/website there are regular wine tastings (?Paired with other tasting events perhaps) with lots of people in store discussing things/talking to each other. A typical off licence does not provide these type of social interactions and although the they may not follow same set-up as other shop, the hope and assumption is that they would provided these small events for the community to come together in small amounts for small times to try new things, perhaps learn a little if into that sort of thing and chat with other neighbourhood folk about Sydenham or other things.
161 Kirkdale on their wine tasting nights always appears busy with cheery faces and people speaking across tables to those not within the party they arrived with. Granted Bob's may not have tables/chairs but could provide something similar on a smaller scale for the locals.

100% in favour of Bob!
SteveG85

Post by SteveG85 »

I couldn't agree more with all of the above. The council should be trying to make setting up business in Sydenham more attractive, not going out of their way to make it harder
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Sounds like someone should bring this thread to Chris Best's attention.