Christmas lights in Sydenham?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
gillyjp

Christmas lights in Sydenham?

Post by gillyjp »

Anyone else notice there are none at the moment? I see Croydon's lights are up and sparkling away and very nice they are too. Mind you if Lewisham Council intend to put up the same old sorry ones we've had for years - just strings of dodgy coloured lights winding around the lampposts then perhaps we're better off not having any.
The Clown

Re: Christmas lights in Sydenham?

Post by The Clown »

It is still November, so I am personally grateful for their absence.

But I do tend to agree, if we are going to presented again with a Christmas tree with a tacky makeshift fence built around it, I would rather not waste public funds, as it is a negative sell.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

I do agree that it is too early for the lights to be turned on in November but Lewisham usually have them wound around the lampposts by now. Still - if it's a cost cutting measure then I'm fine with that.

The ideal place for the Christmas tree, if there has to be one, is on the roundabout but possibly cause too many prangs with drivers looking at the tree instead of where they are going.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

gillyjp wrote:I do agree that it is too early for the lights to be turned on in November but Lewisham usually have them wound around the lampposts by now. Still - if it's a cost cutting measure then I'm fine with that.

The ideal place for the Christmas tree, if there has to be one, is on the roundabout but possibly cause too many prangs with drivers looking at the tree instead of where they are going.
Is there anywhere to plug in the lights on the roundabout? I doubt drivers would be distracted by the tree but it would decrease visibility.

Edited to say I can see lights on some of the lampposts today.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Well Trafalgar Square's Christmas tree's not up yet and is due to be lit on the 3rd of December. I presume that's when the Christmas season begins. :D
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

hope that lites are LED. vary cheap in poundland. :lol:
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

owlwise wrote:Well Trafalgar Square's Christmas tree's not up yet and is due to be lit on the 3rd of December. I presume that's when the Christmas season begins. :D
I think you'll find the Christmas season begins at noon on Christmas Eve. Advent begins today. The Great Yuletide Festival of Booze and Shopping started the day after Hallowe'en.
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

Robin Orton wrote:
owlwise wrote:Well Trafalgar Square's Christmas tree's not up yet and is due to be lit on the 3rd of December. I presume that's when the Christmas season begins. :D
I think you'll find the Christmas season begins at noon on Christmas Eve. Advent begins today. The Great Yuletide Festival of Booze and Shopping started the day after Hallowe'en.
in shop christmas start on Black Friday. many many bargain. Christmas used here to sell sell sell.

yes Robin thank you. Christmas mean vary difrent thing also. we easy to forget this is what really about.

goodwill to all. Alburt. :D
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

gillyjp wrote:Anyone else notice there are none at the moment? I see Croydon's lights are up and sparkling away and very nice they are too. Mind you if Lewisham Council intend to put up the same old sorry ones we've had for years - just strings of dodgy coloured lights winding around the lampposts then perhaps we're better off not having any.
As I posted above - we now have those 'strings of dodgy coloured lights winding around lamposts'. How can all the other boroughs surrounding Lewisham manage to have really lovely sparkling lights, and we get these pathetic offerings again! Some bulbs are not even working already - some lampposts have not been decorated. Once past Woodfalls the opticians there appears to be nothing around the lampposts at all and they completely stop past the railway bridge.

Dear oh dear Lewisham - nil points once again for Sydenham Christmas decorations. Please don't bother next year. They can't even bother to check that all the bulbs work. We really are the poor relation when it comes to this.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

gillyjp wrote:Dear oh dear Lewisham - nil points once again for Sydenham Christmas decorations. Please don't bother next year. They can't even bother to check that all the bulbs work. We really are the poor relation when it comes to this.
If a council is strapped for cash (and most are nowadays) I would prefer them to spend it on worthier things than Christmas street decorations. The blue and white bulbs are OK by me.

Regards
Chris
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

How pathetic...strapped for cash (?), Lewisham is spending all over the place...also the lights can be reused. I'm fed up with our dreadful lot.
Tonight I was in Bromley so decided to drive back via Shortlands (more of an intersection than a town), Beckenhan and Penge. All have made an effort in bringing a bit of joy to the streets. The majority of people appreciate them, especially the children so the people in charge (or not it seems) need to sort it out next year.
Perhaps they could have invested in some lights instead of the awful TURDIS. (Wonder what the ROI is on that?)
Lewisham, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves!!!

Incidentally, has the Sydenham Society been sitting on their hands, as I seem to remember having this conversation last year on this very Forum. I had suggested that they talk to the big retailers etc. about sponsoring the lights....if Lewisham didn't pull their finger out of their arse.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Dartmouth Road in Forest Hill has lights wrapped around the lampposts but instead of sparse old-fashioned bulbs, they are smaller and more numerous LEDs that create a lovely twinkly effect. Same principle, so much better executed.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Rachael wrote:Dartmouth Road in Forest Hill has lights wrapped around the lampposts but instead of sparse old-fashioned bulbs, they are smaller and more numerous LEDs that create a lovely twinkly effect. Same principle, so much better executed.
Yup. LED lights are the reason why some places look so much better than others because they are so bright. I have no idea of cost etc for either type but if its going to be done, then there is no point unless it is worthwhile to look at! A shame really
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

How can we ensure that better Xmas decorations are installed next year?? I'm getting sick of the High Street in Sydenham looking like it is poverty stricken. I feel ashamed of being a resident when it comes to the embarrassing Xmas lights on the lampposts (with half the lights blown). Who's in charge of dealing with this? :x

Chris Best, can you advise how we can improve on the decorations for next year??
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Funnily enough last year the new lights (which are the same this year) were well liked:
https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... ts#p106057

The year before (2013) they weren't liked:
https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... hts#p86690
I'm sure next year they will be liked again!

Other areas can do it, although they have strong traders groups like Marylebone (and this was once a failing high street!).
http://www.marylebonechristmaslights.co ... uwdv6ckw4f

I bet you are wondering what they are doing in Guildford?
http://www.guildford.gov.uk/christmas

These guys do really great things with Christmas lights for high streets:
http://www.piggotts.co.uk/christmas-lighting/gallery/

There is always talk of promoting the market or Christmas etc. A fair few suggestions have been made, but the gatekeepers of Sydenham generally don't do anything it's their ideas:

https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... ts#p105635

Which generally means nothing happens and frankly it's pointless having meetings or talking about it here. I'm baffled by why this is the case here unlike other areas of London.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

And just to keep everything together, we discussed lights a few years ago. We had some contacts from some of the councils we had worked with. Here are the links just in case someone with any power is reading this and wants to do something in the future:

http://www.lite-ltd.co.uk

http://saimollights.com
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The lights look worse to me than last year, much less bright.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Skanska Infrastructure Services (operating in Croydon and Lewisham as ‘Croydon and Lewisham Lighting Services Ltd’) have effectively taken over ownership of the highway lights and signs for the 25-year duration of the street lighting contract, which started in 2011. The project is being part-financed via a PFI (Private Finance Initiative) grant from central government. The PFI grant covers all of the costs associated with the equipment (the columns, lights and signs) and its installation (the ground works, connection of the new lights to the electricity mains, removal of the old columns, re-instating the pavements etc.). Without the PFI grant Lewisham Council would be unable to afford to replace the street lights. By 2016, all of our 42,000 lights and 8,000 signs will have been upgraded. 38,000 will have had both the column and the lantern replaced - 4,000 will have had just the lantern replaced or converted, if the column has been replaced in the recent past which generally will have occurred due to a traffic accident or local improvement works.

The provision of Christmas lights on the lighting columns in the high street are included in the street lighting contract but not the cost of the renewal of the Christmas lights. If residents and traders wish to see different high street lights then some fundraising will need to take place and liaison with Skanska on the installation.

The Sydenham Assembly have provided the funds for the provision and installation of the Christmas tree on Queensthorpe Square. Angie sourced the Chrstimas tree and liaised with Skanska on delivery so that the tree pit could be dug, the tree dressed with the blue lights (as agreed with residents in previous years) and the cable connected to the nearest lamp post. The lighting up of the Christmas tree took place last Saturday with a good turnout from local choirs leading us in carol singing - Skanska attended to flick the switch at the end of our countdown led by Santa and his reindeer. A group photo was taken by the SLP.

I suggest that those residents who wish to change the lights next year get together to discuss what lights they would like to see and then plan some fundraising - maybe contact the traders in the high street to see if they would make a contribution.

For any blown bulbs please contact Skanska - you can report faults online - http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/t ... fault.aspx - or by calling 0800 028 5986.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

On many streets the new lights installed by asks ska constitute a downgrade, not an upgrade, but that's a discussion for another thread.

So. Chris, are you saying that unless we pay for them ourselves there will be no new Christmas lights anywhere in Lewisham for the next 20-odd years?
Pally

Post by Pally »

I don't understand why some lights in Lewisham are better than others if all done by the same company ....Kirkdale looks better than Sydenham centre!