Christmas lights in Sydenham?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Chris Best

Re: Christmas lights in Sydenham?

Post by Chris Best »

So. Chris, are you saying that unless we pay for them ourselves there will be no new Christmas lights anywhere in Lewisham for the next 20-odd years?
Rachel you may have seen on the news the statement from the Minister today reconfirming the Comprehensive Spending Review for local government, that:
• funding changes between now and 2019/20 to phase out revenue support grant,
• allocate 100% of business rates (retaining a tariff and top up system),
• allow an additional 2% annual rise in Council Tax to fund social care,
• increase the Better Care Fund by £1.5bn by 2019/20 to fund extra social care costs (including some savings from changes to the New Homes Bonus), and
• consult on developing further new responsibilities to local government.

For Lewisham this means a 24% reduction in funding over the four years from today's position without allowing for any inflation, growth or pressures adding to the cost base. We will be moving from the current £160m in 2015/16 to:
• 16/17 £147m (-8%)
• 17/18 £135m (-8%)
• 18/19 £128m (-5%)
• 19/20 £122m (-5%)

I think renewing Christmas lights is going to be on the low priority list for the next 4 years as we will be doing all we can to protect the most vulnerable in our community. We don't know how much we will receive from the increase in the Better Care Fund but we do know that we have a population that is living longer with complex medical needs.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That wasn't really my point, Chris. In a huge contract like the one Lewisham signed with Skanska, provision for new Christmas lights at certain intervals (not every year) should have been included. It seems like an glaring error. I'm obviously not asking for the money to be taken from other budgets now.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Driving across London a few days ago I saw some very effective lights that were also quite simple. Lovely white light strings along all shops in a row created a great effect as did the lamp post "shooting star" lights (small but bright) around Putney.

I wonder if the "20 year" Sydenham lights we have could be arranged differently to maximise effect another year ....dont know if that would be allowed under the contract!
Pally

Post by Pally »

Pally wrote:I don't understand why some lights in Lewisham are better than others if all done by the same company ....Kirkdale looks better than Sydenham centre!
Um ....just realised that I definitely must have had too much red wine and Christmas cheer (!!) when I posted the above ....as I meant Penge not Kirkdale and of course as Penge is in Bromley the point was somewhat irrelevant anyway!! Oh dear!!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Maybe a better example would be Forest Hill - the lights there are simple but effective. In LB Lewisham. Serviced by Skanska.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

...but how and why do Lewisham fail when Bromley, Lambeth, Southwark et al succeed?
Bad planning, bad foresight?
All of the above have money problems but still manage...
blakewho

Post by blakewho »

The lights on Sydenham Road are an embarrassment. If we can't afford decent lights (when other parts of Lewisham apparently can) it would be better to have none at all.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Rachael wrote:Maybe a better example would be Forest Hill - the lights there are simple but effective. In LB Lewisham. Serviced by Skanska.

Yes definitely a better example and I agree re Forest Hill! The Sydenham lamppost lights do seem to be the poor relation! The Penge ones and other similar concentrated picture ones that I have seen around London do seem to be more effective but I assume they are more expensive. Although I cant imagine any of those boroughs that you mentioned spending huge quantities on lights!
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

The lights in that part of Forest Hill Road which is in Southwark are terrible.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

topofthehill wrote:The lights in that part of Forest Hill Road which is in Southwark are terrible.
Isn't that East Dulwich?

For the actual Forest Hill lights, go to Dartmouth Road.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Rachael wrote:
topofthehill wrote:The lights in that part of Forest Hill Road which is in Southwark are terrible.
Isn't that East Dulwich?

For the actual Forest Hill lights, go to Dartmouth Road.
Dartmouth road does look pretty
alywin

Post by alywin »

Pally wrote:[Yes definitely a better example and I agree re Forest Hill! The Sydenham lamppost lights do seem to be the poor relation! The Penge ones and other similar concentrated picture ones that I have seen around London do seem to be more effective but I assume they are more expensive. Although I cant imagine any of those boroughs that you mentioned spending huge quantities on lights!
Bromley has had to be nagged and nagged over the decades to produce any sort of reasonable Christmas decorations for Penge - "poor relation" situation rearing its head again. I have a feeling the shopkeepers probably clubbed together to pay for the current ones, although that was probably in less impecunious times.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Please turn off those awful Christmas lights now - I see they are still turned on and they weren't the greatest even in the Season of Goodwill but now they are just downright depressing. :roll:
Pally

Post by Pally »

Do they just stay there until next time?
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

I don't think so Pally - but even if they do they need to be disconnected. Here's hoping for a better display next year!
Pally

Post by Pally »

[quote="gillyjp"]I don't think so Pally - but even if they do they need to be disconnected. Here's hoping for a better display next year![/quote

Well from what Chris said earlier in thus thread that seems unlikely as it appears we are tied to them for 20 years!
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Since we are long past Twelfth Night the continued presence of the decorations, however inadequate they may be, presages a year of misfortune for Sydenham!

Regards
Chris