Moving to Sydenham Hill

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tugaville

Moving to Sydenham Hill

Post by Tugaville »

Hi Everyone,

I hope you guys can help me, I'm currently looking at a property in Sydenham hill estate (se26 6tu), and would like to ask everyone's opinion of that area, The area seemed ok when I went to see the flat, and in the one evening I drove round there, but wanted some local knowledge if I may.

Thank you in advance

Tugaville
FromCtoShiningC

Re: Moving to Sydenham Hill

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Hello - sorry to say that I don't know the area very well, but I wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum. As a general rule, the train station at Sydenham Hill is very convenient to get into central London, or Bromley the other direction. The area is close to Crystal Palace and Dulwich (and of course wonderful Sydenham itself) and so if you decide to move, then I hope you have a lovely time settling in and getting to know the area
whatwhatjohn

Post by whatwhatjohn »

I live in SE26 but on the other side of Sydenham Wells park. To be honest I don't know the estate very well. I've been around it but never through it. Sydenham wells park is great though, one of the best/least known parks in South east London.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Welcome too. The estate might not be the beautiful in the galaxy but it has the unique advantage of lying directly between Sydenham Wells Park which is green flagged and stuff. Do a search here on it. And Sydenhan Hill itself - the oldest remaining vestige of the Great North Wood that covered this area in medieval times. Its like going into the deepest part of the Surrey Hills with the old railway tunnel hidden away near the centre. Lovely for a stroll or a run.

The ridge has spectacular views of the central London skyline. Sunset reflecting off the iconic buildings can be breathtaking. Think Parliament Hill but much nicer. Thankfully those north of the river don't realise what they are missing. Good 'country' type pub in the Dulwich Wood House and a pleasant walk down to Sydenham Hill Station. Trains every 15 minutes to Victoria and Zone 3.

Good bus services including a 24/7 route to Tottenham Court Road (176) from Kirkdale which is much cheaper than taxis if you are returning 'out of hours'. Quite safe. Sydenham Station has the Overground (4 per hour) to Canada Water (Jubillee line to Canary Wharf or the West End) Southern (4 per hour) to London Bridge. Again zone 3.

The chracteristic about Sydenham is the mix. It isn't homogenous. Its not dominated by the rich, the poor or bleak surburbia though it has bits of all three. People come from a wide variety of places. There is no dominant group. The high street has way to go but that that will be sorted next year (a cry repeated every January). It is at least fully occupied so no empty gaps except where redevelopment is taking place.

The real downside is when you meet people north of Forest Hill:

"Where do live"
"Sydenham"
[pause]
"Where's that?"
[pause]
"Err, you know Crystal Palace and the TV transmitter? Its near there"
[embarrassed silence]
"Yes, we went to Alexandra Palace once ... loved it"
[more silence]

What do you like doing? Where do you need to get to? How do you like to shop?

Stuart
demeaux

Post by demeaux »

Hi Tugaville

I live on the wells park estate. Opposite the shops. It seems ok so far. I've been here a year and I know neighbours upstairs and downstairs.

I think further up the hill seems a bit "edgier" but that's because I don't live there, if that makes sense? There are more people there or seem to be as there are more buildings.

The park is great.

Two "bad" points:
The youth centre (is brilliant!) but kids (being kids) when they come out are LOUD. No problems from them, they just shout at each other "bus is coming!" etc.

The traffic. Two fairly busy bus routes go up and down (356 and 202). Not such a bother. What is a bother is people using it as a cut through. It's a 30 zone, it should be a 20. I've heard cars easily smashing up and down at 50...

A good point if you like bikes:
It's closer than College Road for hill reps.

It's got 2 good schools, there are lots of families around.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Tugaville wrote:Hi Everyone,

I hope you guys can help me, I'm currently looking at a property in Sydenham hill estate (se26 6tu), and would like to ask everyone's opinion of that area, The area seemed ok when I went to see the flat, and in the one evening I drove round there, but wanted some local knowledge if I may.

Thank you in advance

Tugaville
SHE was a disaster during the 80s and 90s but since L&Q (in Oct 2010) took over the estate is looking a bit better. Crime is very low, anti-social behavior is also quite low - will be lower now an alcoholic nightmare neighbour has moved to New Cross (who was responsible for 6 of the 7 crimes for our ward Dec 2012 I believe). Transport links are reasonable if we don't have an inch of snow... Some parties do go on but these are sporadic and not a weekly event. Occasionally there are pirate radio issues on the roof of the taller blocks.

I've lived here for 11 years and don't live in any sort of fear. Local parks and woods are excellent.