Newlands Park gas work

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Newlands Park gas work

Post by mosy »

No left or right turn into Newlands Park from Sydenham Road. Road being dug up at time of writing.

Exit from Newlands Park onto Sydenham Road is normal.

I don't know how buses are being diverted.
Eagle

Re: Newlands Park gas work

Post by Eagle »

Mosy

Newlands Park has been a rat run for years . The residents deserve some peace.

Howabout Bus only down the road.
iandavenport

Post by iandavenport »

if you made it Bus only , where would the traffic that uses Newlands Park go? Cator/Trewsbury? Just making it bus only wont convince those car drivers to use the bus instead, however much anyone might wish.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

The more difficult you make car journeys in a city not built for cars , the more people will get fed up and get rod of their
cars.

SE 26 was not intended for residents to have cars.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

iandavenport wrote:if you made it Bus only , where would the traffic that uses Newlands Park go? Cator/Trewsbury? Just making it bus only wont convince those car drivers to use the bus instead, however much anyone might wish.
Which is already busy enough, especially with the parking at the Trewsbury road exit that prevents two way traffic. It's been noticeable over the last few days with traffic queuing all the way back up Trewsbury to where it becomes Cator
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It is not a rat run. Rat runs are small, narrow, residential streets used to avoid major through-routes. Newlands Park is a through route to Penge and Beckenham. In fact, it is a designated A road.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

No one would dispute it is a designated road , but in my opinion far too narrow to be as such.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree Rachael , the thread is about Newlands Park , which was probably a quaint lane for horses in Victorian times

I agree no alternative if you insist on driving , except ones mentioned.

Surely you cannot argue with the position that Sydenham mainly constructed in the Rail era and not the Motor car.

Milton Keynes built for cars , but SE26 is not.

I think there should be strong taxes to persuade persons to walk or get Public Transport.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Since somebody asked, I gather the Croydon-bound buses are diverted, presumably along Kent House Lane? They are supposed to pick up the route again at Penge Lane, so presumably should be turning up Lennard Road?