Water Leak - Perry Rise - Road Closed

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
broken_shaman

Water Leak - Perry Rise - Road Closed

Post by broken_shaman »

Road closed at the bottom of Perry Rise because of a water leak. Traffic cannot enter the traffic lights at the junction with Perry Hill from Perry Rise.

Should be interesting come home time.

broken_shaman

Re: Water Leak - Perry Rise - Road Closed

Post by broken_shaman »

Still leaking, but no workers anymore. Just a hole. Which sometimes bubbles water. Quite a nice water feature tbh.

JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

last night at 6pm the water was still gushing so at least they appear to have done something to slow or stop the leak.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Afraid not. I passed again a little later and it was gushing, so I think it must depend on the pressure.
_HB

Post by _HB »

Good opportunity to test the closure of a rat run - Make it permanent!
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Which rat run is it you are referring to?
stuart

Post by stuart »

Perry Rise. An abomination if you are walking, on two wheels or four. You either have to remove the obstructive parking or dead-end it. Otherwise make it is a very bad experience for everyone. Your choice.

Stuart
PeterD

Post by PeterD »

Champion road used as the rat run now,so no thanks to making it permanent!
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Yeah. Our quiet little road is under constant pressure, just from there being traffic lights at the junction. They turn left into Priestfield, right into Lescombe and then right again onto Perry Hill, just to avoid driving down the road and turning right at the lghts. I think the last traffic count recorded about 1000 cars a day using the road. And I think it's gone up, as I've noticed a lot more drivers cutting out the right hand turn from Houston Road into Perry Hill and suddenly quite a lot of drivers who seem to be avoiding turning right from Perry Hill into Perry Rise, despite there being lights and filter lanes etc...

Close the side roads off to through traffic imo.
Search East

Post by Search East »

Champion Road is a rat run at the best of times, thank god my flat doesn't face onto the road :roll:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Am I right in thinking there is no left turn at the lights out of Perry Rise and if so what the rational for that is? It's a tight-ish turn so presumably it would slow the flow somewhat. But that must put more pressure on the streets on the Catfird side of Perry Rise.

I do use Perry Rise regularly (being very local to it, I'm not using it as a rat run as such) and I do find traffic moves better since the lights were changed a while ago.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

There is a no left turn. I was told it was so pedestrians had a chance to cross. It is quite tight too. Very few cars actually do our rat run to turn left though. Presumably, they go a different route. I'd say 95% or more of the traffic turns right at the bottom of Lescombe Road.

Sorry to hear about Champion Road. I've noticed they all arrive at the actual roadblock, after passing the other signs and turn right into Adamsrill. The diversion actually sends them back up the road, but you only know that if you turn round and go back. There's no sign at the actual roadblock.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Complete chaos there today, as there are now temporary traffic lights and all approaches are down to one lane for no apparent reason (other than a shortage of temporary lights I presume). Tailbacks stretching as far as the eye can see towards Sydenham and queues to enter Sainsbury's by the garage.

Still no work ongoing, but there are now two empty holes, rather than one hole filled with water.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Oi vey. Thanks for the updates, do keep them coming. Traffic was coping perfectly well yesterday afternoon when I went to Sainsburys, but they may have put in the lights in anticipation of the Monday rush hour.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

broken_shaman wrote:Complete chaos there today, as there are now temporary traffic lights and all approaches are down to one lane for no apparent reason (other than a shortage of temporary lights I presume). Tailbacks stretching as far as the eye can see towards Sydenham and queues to enter Sainsbury's by the garage..
That was what I experienced 45 mins ago except that, since I was returning home after a motorbike run, I just filtered past all the queues! :lol:

Regards
Chris
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I wonder if they've cleared that lane opposite Sports Direct to bring in some heavy plant tonight.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

I think they only brought three traffic lights, so they have to put that one down to one so everyone can see the lights. Otherwise, they could have coned off an area very easily at night.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Still shut. Seems to have developed into a gas leak.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Still a big hole in the road. Still little activity on 'site'. We still have a car every minute coming down our road...

No info from anyone regarding it either.