The Bridge Leisure Centre

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
kateangela

The Bridge Leisure Centre

Post by kateangela »

I visited The Bridge Leisure Centre today with my family. We walked 20 minutes to get there with my young children. We arrived at 2.30pm to swim in the learner pool. On the Fusion website it said that the learner pool was open on Sundays until 3.30pm, after which it closes for pool parties. On arrival the receptionist told me that the learner pool was closing at 2.30pm that day for a baptism! The 'live' pool timetable on the Fusion website did not say the pool was closing early that day. The main pool was closed for refurbishment.

I was under the impression that Fusion were contracted by Lewisham Council to provide leisure facilities for Lewisham residents. As such, I was surprised to learn that the learner pool was closing early and without notice, for private (religious) events for which, I assume, Fusion are getting paid money for. Also, I don't think it is appropriate for the council contracted leisure facilities to be used for religious purposes. What is stopping Fusion from closing this pool/other Lewisham pools for various private events at random times without giving customers notice?

Does anyone know what they are actually contracted to provide and whether this is normal practice? I have written to my local councillor and the council to find out whether this is acceptable but just wondered if any forum bods have any knowledge.
broken_shaman

Re: The Bridge Leisure Centre

Post by broken_shaman »

I used to take my son there for swimming from 6 months old. But we were never sure if there would be a lesson, because if there weren't enough people (3) the lesson would be cancelled. Therefore, people often wouldn't bother, so it was more likely to be cancelled.

Add to that pool issues and staff sickness and you had a situation where you would arrive wondering whether it would actually be on or not this week.

The swimming teacher left in the end and I've never been back.

Always found the place a bit untidy and run down. I have no idea why this is, as I imagined the advantage of having a private company running the place for the council was so they would invest in it as a business. But it almost seems like they just take the cash at the door, instead of the council having to do it.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I found the Bridge a bit depressing , random closures were irritating and some staff were decidedly disinterested. So I swapped to Forest Hill ...range of bus ride options or near to station. Might be a better bet for you, sending on where you live?
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

rod taylor wrote:
broken_shaman wrote: But it almost seems like they just take the cash at the door, instead of the council having to do it.
Or, as has happened on several occasions, not even asking for payment when booking a badminton court because they can't be bothered to get the card machine. It's staffed by mostly bored teenagers and I don't really complain because it is very cheap and cheerful, and any overhall would result in the prices tripling and the whole place feeling cloyingly corporate.

I can imagine it is annoying when you have swimming booked though. I'm quite sanguine about it because I find the whole place quite sweetly Fawlty Towers; I once got into a slanging match with a staff member who was walking through my court whilst I was playing. When I asked him politely not to - he got quite aggressive.

The cafe is hilarious - for the life of me I can't think why a building dedicated to physical fitness should have a menu so dedicated to having a coronory.

The Bridge's crapness, though, is perhaps the price we pay for having an amenity that is affordable for the majority of local residents. Gentrification might not be in the interests of the many.
The Bridge is ghastly, although one hopes that the renovation of the big pool will change a few things. It appears they are looking to update it over a longer period as they have done the WCs when you get past reception.

Good comment about the cafe...I have seen quite a few mice running around so deep frying everything might be necessary for sanitation.

Bottom line, if I am in the minority wanting it to improve, then I would be amazed. It is a dump and badly run, and so filthy that I get depressed taking my kids there. I have switched to FH for the weekend swim, although one of my kids is currently doing her lessons at Beckenham, and that, although luxurious in comparison, is also run pretty badly.

I believe we deserve a better standard of leisure centre, and if that means more cash, then I am happy to pay the extra.
Pally

Post by Pally »

You are right about a price hike being unaffordable to some locals. But what level of rubbish facilities are they supposed to tolerate? The Bridge is a step too far in the wrong direction in my view! Some aspects could be improved without costing money ...
Gremlinson

Post by Gremlinson »

The Bridge Leisure Centre gave me a verucca. True story.

It's an unhappy place generally but I remember schlepping over there from Forest Hill to use the gym while FH Pools were shut and it wasn't much better then. At least it was cheap.

One benefit: Sunday kiddie swim is not ridiculously oversubscribed like FH, so you can turn up and generally walk straight in.

They've taken to charging c£2 for the disgusting soft play facilities, a bit rich given the rodent issue mentioned above. Perhaps I'll raise this next time I visit by donating some traps in lieu of payment.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

rod taylor wrote:
Sydenham Syd wrote:
I believe we deserve a better standard of leisure centre, and if that means more cash, then I am happy to pay the extra.
...because you can. But there are many in Lower Sydenham who couldn't handle a considerable price hike; and one look around the streets suggest that the obesity epidemic is very much in evidence at Bell Green - we should be subsidising, not pricing out.
I am only happy to pay because I can - never a truer word spoken. If you can't afford it, then they should be subsidised.
I'm not being elitist or trying to stop people using it, on the contrary. There is no facility that I know of at the moment that allows those that cannot afford it to get a discount. memberships should be restructured.

I can afford to up my payments (although I do seem to be paying quite a bit for swimming lessons for my kids), and happily would if that meant the facilities were improved. I am not sure that there is a way for that money to be channelled.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

rod taylor wrote:
Sydenham Syd wrote:
I am only happy to pay because I can - never a truer word spoken. If you can't afford it, then they should be subsidised.
I'm not being elitist or trying to stop people using it, on the contrary. There is no facility that I know of at the moment that allows those that cannot afford it to get a discount. memberships should be restructured.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Well, take a person earning, roughly speaking, a minimum wage of £6.50 x 40 hours; minus tax, £30 for travel, £100 a week rent and £50 for food.

Not sure what structured membership the above would qualify for, but increase the cost of a badminton court for 1 hour from £5 to £15 and you won't see them for dust.

But I'm happy to stand corrected too.
I'm not sure what the demand for a badminton court is amongst the lower earners in this country, but I am really talking about the cost of letting your child go swimming or perhaps wanting to go to the gym.

Bottom line, that place has to improve or it simply withers on the vine. It appears they have managed to find some cash from somewhere to renovate it although someone has to pay! I think it is a little too much to ask for these sorts of places to not pass on some of the renovation costs to the end user.

If I couldn't do something when I wasn't earning, I used to have to save up.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Actually, I think there is a way to get The Bridge cleaned up with no cost to local residents. The council subcontract the running of their leisure facilities to Fusion, who are famously negligent in keeping facilities clean on a very basic level. Forest Hill pools, a relatively new building, is falling into a similar state of squalor under Fusion's ministrations.

Lewisham should either make Fusion do what they are already paying them to do or get rid. Southwark have just withdrawn their contract with Fusion.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

rod taylor wrote:
Sydenham Syd wrote:I'm not sure what the demand for a badminton court is amongst the lower earners in this country, but I am really talking about the cost of letting your child go swimming or perhaps wanting to go to the gym.

Bottom line, that place has to improve or it simply withers on the vine. It appears they have managed to find some cash from somewhere to renovate it although someone has to pay! I think it is a little too much to ask for these sorts of places to not pass on some of the renovation costs to the end user.

If I couldn't do something when I wasn't earning, I used to have to save up.
If you do the sums I posted you'll know there isn't any money to save. If you're on minimum wage you're being conned by the system to the extent that you have to work for the rich and still have no money at the end of the week. You are essentially paying rent on your life; there's nothing left for saving or spending. Of course the minimum wage should be doubled, but hey, that's another subject.

The thing is there are plenty of people who do use the Bridge, and often because it is cheap. I know this is true of several of the Badminton regulars; a price hike would leave them, quite simply, no longer playing Badminton. It may be true of swimmers too.

Now of course the place needs a good clean up, and possibly a clear out, but as you say, I can't see that being done without the cost being passed onto the 'consumer' (to use that poisonous word), and in the case of you, Sydenham Syd, that won't be a problem - in fact an increased price is more likely to attract you to the Bridge.

But in the case of many who currently use the place that will be the problem. It will be the difference between them going and not going. So, I agree with Pally, no one should have to put up with facilities as rubbish as this; but unless we can ensure that the wholesale rennovation The Bridge needs does not prevent locals from going, then I'm in favour of patching it up only when something breaks.

Or is Sydenham's 'coming up' simply a euphemism for the cleansing from public spaces of the low-waged?
I love the way you think you know me that well that you would reckon I would go more because of the cost increase. Pretty arrogant of you to assume that.

You seem to be the only person upset at the thought of an upgrade just so you can play a minority sport. I think if you took a straw poll of the people who use that place for things that need a little more sanitising such as the pool and dressing rooms attached you might get a different view.

The centre needs updating, the money must be found.

On the 'cleansing' point, Sydenham is changing, and whether that is in your pretty strong opinion for the better or worse, it is happening. You can try and resist it all you like, but I fear your crusade may flounder.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

rod taylor wrote:
Sydenham Syd wrote:On the 'cleansing' point, Sydenham is changing, and whether that is in your pretty strong opinion for the better or worse, it is happening. You can try and resist it all you like, but I fear your crusade may flounder.
Let's not upgrade this, Syd, it's really not a crusade, just a difference of opinion.

I'm not resisting - I'm just giving an opinion as a local resident. And my opinion is just that. :wink:
As am I.
8 years in.
2 kids at school here
etc.
Very happy too at the progress and promise
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

What times do you play badminton at The Bridge?
Is it a club, or just a group of friends?
I need to find somewhere more local than I currently play - The Bridge might be the answer, if there's a club there.
Fusion Lifestyle

Post by Fusion Lifestyle »

Good afternoon,

I would like to introduce myself my name is Kelly Shill and I am the new General Manager at The Bridge Leisure Centre, I would like to thank you for your invaluable feedback that you have posted. I will take all suggestions under consideration and also look to resolve any and all issues as soon as possible.

I believe feedback whether it be good, bad or indifferent is invaluable for us to ensure we are an excellent Leisure Centre for the community and I would be very keen to set up a meeting either individually or in a group situation so I can formally introduce myself and start to really tackle the issues that the community feel need to be resolve here at The Bridge Leisure Centre.

Once again thank you for your feedback and if you wish to get in contact with me directly my email address is kelly.shill@fusion-lifestyle.com and you can reach me directly on 0208 778 7158.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thanks to Fusion for posting here. Interestingly, that post is almost word-for-word identical to the one posted on SE23.com by the new manager of Forest Hill pools. So much for the personal touch. http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.ph ... 424&page=1
gurka

Post by gurka »

Is the main swimming pool back open yet ?
Belle

Post by Belle »

Yep, today was the first day.