Suspected attempted burglary in Lower Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
MagmaTimes

Suspected attempted burglary in Lower Sydenham

Post by MagmaTimes »

Afternoon all

Just a heads up about a suspected attempted burglary on my house last night. I awoke to find a man on a step-ladder looking in through my bedroom window at about 11.30pm. When I sat up and stared at him, he quickly scarpered and took his ladder with him.

This was in the Porthcawe Road / Home Park area. He disappeared into Home Park.

The police are aware but weren't able to find a man with a ladder wandering around in the area. I suspect this is the second time he's been because I was awoken by sounds on the roof last week but put this down to birds on the roof or something like that.

Anyway, keep your eyes peeled and let the police know if you see a bloke with a ladder acting suspiciously in the area at night!
Hissing Syd

Re: Suspected attempted burglary in Lower Sydenham

Post by Hissing Syd »

Pretty unsettling, sorry to hear that. Any description - age etc? Although obviously carrying a ladder at night is going to make you fairly distinctive!
gurka

Post by gurka »

Pretty unsettling, sorry to hear that. Any description - age, race etc?
mosy

Post by mosy »

Very disconcerting. A thread a while back re public information was that sometimes an advance scout identifies suitable properties for burglary and then marks the house in some way. Perhaps check to make sure no new marks of any sort have appeared on your front wall...

In logistal terms, it seems unlikely that an actual burglar would gain entrance and eventual exit with a ladder propped outside, so perhaps check back way locks too.
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

Well it was difficult to see the bloke as it was dark but I think he was wearing a balaclava or otherwise may have had very dark skin. Bout 6ft and slim.

Thanks for the tip about house markings - I'll have a look.

Be safe, everyone!