What happened to the so-called Piaza

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Andwar

Post by Andwar »

I was wondering after the redevelopment of the High Street there were plans for a small piaza between Paperchase Taxation and the Shirin Cafe. So what's happened?

It is one of the eyesores on the high street and it would be a great place for the Farmers Market and other pop up events.
mosy

Re: What happened to the so-called Piaza

Post by mosy »

The piazza hosts an artisan crafts and food market on the 2nd Saturday each month during the spring-autumn seasons when the weather is more favourable and also various Sydenham Arts Festival guests.

The market this month was advertised by Chris Best on here:
https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15253
together with shop flyers and street poster advertising.

There are threads on here discussing how the piazza could be utilised on a more regular basis, but costs both of organising and setting up and likely limited returns (cost:benefit) seem to be the bugbear.

If you haven't been to the monthly market yet. It's always worth a visit.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Andwar wrote:I was wondering after the redevelopment of the High Street there were plans for a small piaza between Paperchase Taxation and the Shirin Cafe. So what's happened?

It is one of the eyesores on the high street and it would be a great place for the Farmers Market and other pop up events.
I don't think there was ever a plan for a piazza between Paperchase Taxation and Shirin. Where did you hear that there might be?
Andwar

Re: What happened to the so-called Piaza

Post by Andwar »

I just thought that it might have been redeveloped as part of the High Street regeneration.

Now, we just have a vacant piece of land with hoardings that have seen better days. It would be good to see it as a small market square instead of the small piaza opposite the railway station.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Andwar wrote:I just thought that it might have been redeveloped as part of the High Street regeneration.

Now, we just have a vacant piece of land with hoardings that have seen better days. It would be good to see it as a small market square instead of the small piaza opposite the railway station.
I'm afraid it's a valuable development site in private ownership. Sooner or later there will be a new development on the site.