Co-operative Food store to rebrand as a Budgens store

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Re: Co-operative Food store to rebrand as a Budgens store

Post by mosy »

Re other bakers, PFC have a bread counter (at the back, right side), selling flat and yeast-risen breads, not sure about sourdough ones. They do however sell fresh yeast (the only shop I know that does) if anyone fancies making their own bread. Most bakeries are like supermarkets and just buy in the prepared loaves ready to bake.

Anyone know when the Co-op Budgen handover date is?
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Rachael wrote:
Parker1970 wrote:Considering that's 3 people now who have particularly praised the fresh bread from the Co-op bakery it has made me realize that a bakery is the one shop we don't have in Sydenham... not counting the cake shop.
The 'cake' shop is actually a full bakery. Sells bread and savoury pastries as well as cake.
As long as you want plain, basic brown or white bread. Where is the Rye? Sourdough? Seeded? CoOp and Lidl
Pally

Post by Pally »

mosy wrote:Re other bakers, PFC have a bread counter (at the back, right side), selling flat and yeast-risen breads, not sure about sourdough ones. They do however sell fresh yeast (the only shop I know that does) if anyone fancies making their own bread. Most bakeries are like supermarkets and just buy in the prepared loaves ready to bake.

Anyone know when the Co-op Budgen handover date is?
PFC bread is really nice as are loaves from Wellbeing in high street (but those are pricier! On the hoof bits their bread from there
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

It's a real shame to see the Co-Op go . In my view there are only two supermarkets : Co-Op for everyday foods (excluding things you should get from greengrocer or butcher) , ethically sold and reasonably priced .

Then for treats or ingredients for over-complex recipes there is Waitrose .

I don't think the rise of low cost shops like Lidl is anything to celebrate . I know some of us like to self-congratulate about finding some kind of Tuscan olive oil on special , but they have heralded in a deeply unpleasant shopping experience and a kind of random boot-fair approach to what they sell .

To me the Co-Op seemed to maintain some standards of decency and reliability and I will miss being able to walk there . I like the idea of the Cooperative movement , was sad to see what happened with their banking and acknowledged the pay cut , such as it was , that their CEO took , when many just scoffed . I cannot imagine caring when Lidl is undercut and replaced with EvenNastierFoods.com .

I think everyone should be able to shop in decent surroundings with good staff and reasonably priced foods , and that was the Co-Op to me . I hope their staff are properly treated when they TUPE across to Budgens - I even hate typing the word .
A very good morning
Nigel
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Of course the Cake Shop is but a pale imitation of Slatter's , the superb baker of the 70's and 80's and Bruce Forsythe fame.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

robbieduncan wrote:
Rachael wrote:
Parker1970 wrote:Considering that's 3 people now who have particularly praised the fresh bread from the Co-op bakery it has made me realize that a bakery is the one shop we don't have in Sydenham... not counting the cake shop.
The 'cake' shop is actually a full bakery. Sells bread and savoury pastries as well as cake.
As long as you want plain, basic brown or white bread. Where is the Rye? Sourdough? Seeded? CoOp and Lidl
You can actually by both rye and sourdough at the cake store
alywin

Post by alywin »

Went up the High Road on the bus yesterday and saw that a clearance sale is already being announced :(
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

I always buy my bread from the Cake Store.
cbrody

Post by cbrody »

robbieduncan wrote:
Rachael wrote:
Wellbeing sells bread from the Blackbird Bakery; it's the best I've found in Sydenham.
Doubles

Post by Doubles »

Alexandra Nurseries also sells bread from the blackbird bakery!
alywin

Post by alywin »

What, you mean I can just walk into the Alexandra and buy a couple of loaves? Could be useful. Sainsbury's bread has been getting soggier and soggier in recent weeks.

BTW, is the Co-Op still there? If so, I must try and get in again before it closes :(
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

alywin wrote: BTW, is the Co-Op still there? If so, I must try and get in again before it closes :(
No, it closed last Saturday (Despite the poster saying it would close from Sunday).
Doubles

Post by Doubles »

alywin - def on weekends they have selection by the till, haven't been in during the week though!
coll

Post by coll »

I went into the the "new Budgens" yesterday.... MEH!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meh
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Me too
It seemed strangely mixed ie some quite nice looking things and some quite nasty looking items too.
Choice of wine was strange - very little in the 5-6 quid bracket , my personal comfort zone , but lots of £9-12 .

I absolutely hated the " special offer " banners everywhere and I don't like the hot potch of makes - reminds me of a Lidl ( yes , I know great olive oil , etc etc ) .
There was also a suspiciously wide range of aquamarine/carmine/puce soft drinks which gives a slightly worrying impression .
I will try them again but first impression not good . I certainly hope the staff are properly treated - they are a nice bunch and I hope the Budge managemt are not of the usual stack em high, globalisation , race to the bottom persuasion .

A very good morning
Nigel
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Nigel wrote:Me too

Choice of wine was strange - very little in the 5-6 quid bracket , my personal comfort zone , but lots of £9-12 .
I went in there yesterday to check it out, specifically the wine selection which co-op did quite well. The new selection is awful. The cheap wines are dreadful brands, you have to shell out for anything half decent. So Sainsbury will be my wine shop for now.

Their bakery section has the same space, but a vastly smaller range which is a great shame as the co-op bread was very good indeed.
iandavenport

Post by iandavenport »

wondering what everyone has made of Budgens after its first week - i used to use the Co-Op a couple of times a week for organic milk and crusty bread - my trip on Sunday highlighted Budgens sold neither. Anyone else found they are going there regularly with success?
stuart

Post by stuart »

Agree. We did our ethical shopping at the Co-op and unethical shopping at Lidl. That covered most food & drink. Most 'ethical' appears to have disappeared from Budgens who are targetting another demographic? Trouble is - we have stopped going but have the other demographic noticed? And have they also noticed Budgens have a bit of a stock control issue. Empty shelves don't inspire confidence.

So Penge Lidl now gets our business with Sainsburys opposite as back-up. If it much more than us it must jeopardise Budgens and the knock-on effect on the High Street is not good. Are we the only London postcode not to have a co-op food store?

Stuart
Pally

Post by Pally »

Popped in a couple of times ...they seem to have more "fancy" items but run out of basics and less selection of nice breads. I liked the Coop so a bit cheesed off!
MattHarrop

Post by MattHarrop »

I have been away for 2 months, went in yesterday not even realising but immediately noticed how bare the shop is.

Picked up an apple that was wisened and told a staff member who giggled and said that it was now a Budgens. I left..

Tweeted the co op and they said they are hoping to open a new store in December..... Not sure if this is true..

I loved the co op as I live just ruond the corner, and I see it as a degredation of the high street by selling it off.

Budgens is another cheap alternative to a supermarket. Sad times for the high street indeed...

Matt