Co-operative Food store to rebrand as a Budgens store

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Manwithaview1

Re: Co-operative Food store to rebrand as a Budgens store

Post by Manwithaview1 »

JRobinson wrote:There's a CO-OP in Forest Hill ?!

how come I've not noticed?! is it similar size to Sydenham, or is it one of those tiny metro types ones on the high st that you'd miss if you didn't realise it was there? can't for the life of me think where it is...
On the corner of Stansted Road by the traffic lights on the South Circ Waldram Park Road. It used to be a Mace....
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

ah yes of course, not particularly big, and 'the other side of the tracks'. I forget that that is still Forest Hill, I tend to think of FH only being on one side of the railway for some reason.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

RachelF

Post by RachelF »

What is going on in Budgens? Underwhelmed and generally disappointed when it opened, but when I popped in on Tuesday, half the shelves seemed empty. I used to like the Budgens when I worked in Crouch End, 15 years ago, but this one seems really trashy. Of course they don't help themselves in my book by relegating the cheese to a puny end of aisle mini-fridge ;) Sacrilege. (Yes I know it's only supermarket cheese, but even so...)

The Co-Op may have been no Waitrose, but I did rather like their bread, and their trifles were decent. At this rate I may end up resorting to Tesco Metro (not bought anything from there yet.)
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Please don't!

as much as I did really like CoOp, and don't particularly like Budgens, if you must shop elsewhere, then there are plenty of other places you could go before deciding to go to T£sco.

almost everything you want or need can be had on the high st - Fresh and Fruity, Billings, Cake Shop, Penge Food Centre, Lidl, Sainsbury, any number of 'grocers' selling everything else, etc. etc.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I echo that wholeheartedly - using Tesco is the shopper's version of the morning after pill ,
Get your staples from Billings and Fresh and Fruity , stock up with wine or beer and anything else you need should be obtainable from PFC , even the coop in Elmers End , anywhere , but not Tesco , please !

A very good evening
Nigel
Pally

Post by Pally »

The Sainsburys at the corner of Spring hill has most stuff too and such friendly helpful staff deserve a bit of support too
RachelF

Post by RachelF »

I was joking about Tesco. I object to it on many grounds. Their cheap chicken and my vegetarianism don't sit well with each other either.

I don't know where to get ok bread from in the way home anymore though. Sainsburys at Sydenham station is the wrong direction.
Pally

Post by Pally »

PFC bread next door to Tesco's is good
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Meanwhile the Co-Op in Eaat Dulwich is now an M&S. Cue wailing and rending of robes in SE26...
parker

Post by parker »

Rachael wrote:Meanwhile the Co-Op in Eaat Dulwich is now an M&S. Cue wailing and rending of robes in SE26...
Dulwich gets M&S, we get PFC, sums it up pretty well.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Rachael wrote:Meanwhile the Co-Op in Eaat Dulwich is now an M&S. Cue wailing and rending of robes in SE26...
The Coop is still in East Dulwich. The M&S replaced the Iceland.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Mayowthorpe wrote:
The Coop is still in East Dulwich. The M&S replaced the Iceland.
Oh really? I'm surprised, I thought the Iceland would be too small.
parker

Post by parker »

They extended the store into what would've been Iceland car park at the rear.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Phew! I was going to say I didn't see how it was possible to have closed down and rebuilt the Co-op in the few weeks since I was last in Lordship Lane.