Co-operative Food store to rebrand as a Budgens store

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
biscuitman1978

Co-operative Food store to rebrand as a Budgens store

Post by biscuitman1978 »

The Co-operative Group has announced that it is selling 36 Co-operative Food stores to The Food Retailer Group, one of which is the store in Sydenham.

It will be rebranded as a Budgens store. The existing staff will transfer to the new business.

More at http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news ... years.html...

...and http://www.thenews.coop/105231/news/co- ... tores-ltd/
montjuic56

Re: Co-operative Food store to rebrand as a Budgens store

Post by montjuic56 »

Will they be any good?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

How many reincarnations has that store had since it took over from The Granada ???
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

It's weird isn't it, how this store seems to have changed repeatedly. I am not sure if that is a sign of health or ill-health frankly, but I guess as it was part of the group it is sold in specie as opposed to as an individual.

From a selfish point of view, it does mean we get another fit out and clean store, but I think Co-op is a bit better than Bludgens (sic) - I used to work above a Bludgens on Tottenham Ct Rd, and it was a shambles.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Sydenham Syd wrote: I think Co-op is a bit better than Bludgens (sic)
I agree. Co-op isn't great, but they are better than Budgens. Not a good change for Sydenham in my opinion.

Though it will simply mean I use Lidl more, which is no bad thing (apart from their checkout queues)
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

I am a Lidl fanatic myself, but my wife shops at the Co-op. She is a registered coeliac (not just fashionably 'gluten intolerant') and the Co-op is reliable for having some gluten-free products. I suspect the change may not be for the better for her.

Regards
Chris
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

That's a shame, I like the Co-operative and their ethics. I wonder if it will be a main store or a local franchise of Budgens.
montjuic56

Post by montjuic56 »

I suppose, since they are keeping all the existing staff, they will keep it as a supermarket rather than a convinience store
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

At least we have the new Sainsburys Local I suppose. Can't see this as at all positive. CoOp is not great but way better than Budgens
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Budgens is a franchise operation - managed by Musgraves of Eire - based in Cork. They also 'manage' Londis in UK. Or they did when I did some work for Musgrave a few years ago.

So quality of the store is based on quality of the franchise holder.

It was the case that Budgens stores were actively encouraged to source their products from local suppliers - not all was expected to be bought from Musgrave warehouses*. This means that they retain an air of independence and are not identical to one another.

But it does rely on the enthusiasm, skill and nouse of the owner - Musgrave gives them the opportunity to stocl their own products.

*As opposed to Londis which had to take a much higher percentage of goods from Musgraves.
parker

Post by parker »

A Budgens that size won't last in Sydenham. Their pricing is insanely high. If Budgens could work on that scale in that location an M&S definitely would.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Budgens was owned by Musgrave but sold Londis and Budgens to Booker last year. They weren't all franchises, although they pushed for them to be a few years ago, I think some are now back in corporate hands.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

@Lee - thanks for the update - things can change rapidly in corporate world.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Shame. I actually really like the Co-op. I'd never used one much before moving here, but I'm always pleasantly surprised by Co-op's fruit & veg, their wine selection etc. I prefer it to Sainsburys. Budgens on the other hand...
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

monkeyarms wrote:Shame. I actually really like the Co-op. I'd never used one much before moving here, but I'm always pleasantly surprised by Co-op's fruit & veg, their wine selection etc. I prefer it to Sainsburys. Budgens on the other hand...
Honestly, I think I will miss their fresh baked crusty bread on Saturday mornings the most. :(
stuart

Post by stuart »

monkeyarms wrote:Shame. I actually really like the Co-op. I'd never used one much before moving here, but I'm always pleasantly surprised by Co-op's fruit & veg, their wine selection etc. I prefer it to Sainsburys. Budgens on the other hand...
Yes, the Co-op was my most visited shop for so many reasons. We go most days of the week for the bread. Best in Sydenham imho. Lidl bread is also good. The Co-op pizzas and other stuff is very good. Much better than their two predecessors (Morrisons and Somerfield)

So its off to Penge Lidl for the daily bread which is very good too - supply at their Sydenham shop is much less reliable. Which means we will probably be popping across the road to Penge Sainsbury's for other stuff. They are actually more convenient for us to get to with the 197 & 176 every few minutes. The Co-op was why we bothered to go down the length of the street in all weathers.

Just shows how the loss of one shop can impact can affect the whole of the street. At least with our custom. Pity the sitting party with their co-op connections couldn't have done something. The Co-op was the anchor retail unit.

Stuart
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Totally agree with you Stuart.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I'll miss Co-op's bread if the new shop doesn't keep that section up similarly. Co-op also has a very extensive range of home baking products and sauces, chutneys etc. Its high pricing of standard products was a drawback to me rather than anything about the shop itself but perhaps that's inevitable when next door to Lidl.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Considering that's 3 people now who have particularly praised the fresh bread from the Co-op bakery it has made me realize that a bakery is the one shop we don't have in Sydenham... not counting the cake shop.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Parker1970 wrote:Considering that's 3 people now who have particularly praised the fresh bread from the Co-op bakery it has made me realize that a bakery is the one shop we don't have in Sydenham... not counting the cake shop.
The 'cake' shop is actually a full bakery. Sells bread and savoury pastries as well as cake.