Celebrating Brexit.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

Post Reply
I hammer
Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Oct 2010 13:31
Location: sydenham

Celebrating Brexit.

Post by I hammer »

We are out.!
Last edited by I hammer on 1 Jul 2016 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

parker
Posts: 558
Joined: 26 Mar 2009 21:15
Location: Sydenham Wells

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by parker »

I second this, absolutely delighted with the news.

Manwithaview1
Posts: 2162
Joined: 21 Jan 2012 21:23
Location: Sydenham Hill Estate

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Bye bye all the Tory Brexit supporters. They have no future. Seriously which Tory would want to be responsible for the break up of the union.

The result is non binding as

Parliament can stop it
The EU can stop it
Northern Ireland can stop it

but first of all who is going to campaign for Tory PM and want to smash it all up? :lol:

Cameron really **** them all over by resigning as Boris etc thought he would enact Article 50. Now they are all backtracking about opening formal negotiations. This could mean the end of the large Tory party leaving just a rump...

I'm so sad about this. :mrgreen:

Luckily I bought my champers before the collapse of the pound, must have saved a fiver...

I hammer
Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Oct 2010 13:31
Location: sydenham

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by I hammer »

It's happened. Get over it.
Corbyn has accepted the result.

Robin Orton
Posts: 3258
Joined: 9 Sep 2008 07:30
Location: London SE26

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by Robin Orton »

I've not been so upset and angry about any political event since Suez in 1956 - even including the Iraq war. I can't trust myself to respond in a polite way to IHammer and parker's crowing, so will keep silent.

Peak-Hillbilly
Posts: 4
Joined: 5 Feb 2016 18:34
Location: SE26

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by Peak-Hillbilly »

For those of you who aren't celebrating Brexit - please consider signing this petition.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

chrisj1948
Posts: 505
Joined: 15 Jul 2008 15:12
Location: Sydenham

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by chrisj1948 »

Peak-Hillbilly wrote:For those of you who aren't celebrating Brexit - please consider signing this petition.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215
Despite Nigel Farage having said that if it had been 52/48 for Remain he would consider the result indecisive and fight on, I do not see what that petition could achieve unless they get 16 million signatories. In that case Parliament would really need to take notice!

Regards
Chris J.

I hammer
Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Oct 2010 13:31
Location: sydenham

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by I hammer »

And so...the SNP want another Scottish referendum..... Does this sound strange from English perspective (even before Brexit vote). It's the same as that online petition, to throw one's toys out of the pram.

Parkrunner
Posts: 23
Joined: 27 Jun 2014 21:56
Location: Sydenham

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by Parkrunner »

I hammer and Parker, tell me what you think we stand to gain from Brexit.

I hammer
Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Oct 2010 13:31
Location: sydenham

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by I hammer »

You'll probably disagree with all/most points I would make.
So I'll ask you.... What is wrong with Brexit?

(Brexit imo will enhance my grandchildrens life Btw)

parker
Posts: 558
Joined: 26 Mar 2009 21:15
Location: Sydenham Wells

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by parker »

Here are a few things the EU did to our economy. Make what you like of it:

Jaguar Land Rover stopped making its Defender in the UK because of EU laws on fuel emissions. It is now set to be built abroad outside the EU.

In 2007 the Peugeot factory in Ryton, Coventry closed down (2,300 job losses) and moved to Slovakia with the help of £78m EU funding.
Britain's remaining ferry service to Scandinavia (DFDS Harwich to Esbjerg) ended in 2014 after 140 years service because of an EU Directive.

'3000 police cars foreign made'. Police say they are powerless to offer contracts to British car factories because of EU procurement rules.

Before the UK entered the EU, unemployment stood at 2.6%. It is now 5.6% (1.85 million - June, 2016).

Norway, Iceland and Switzerland are thriving because they are not encumbered by Euro bailout costs and extortionate EU membership fees.

There were 25 EU Free Trade Agreements in force in 2012 while the Swiss (non-EU) had independently negotiated 26.

The EU's Landfill Directive has been responsible for some councils ending their weekly bin collections.

EU specified light bulbs cost 500% more than filament bulbs. Some people complain that the EU specified light bulbs produce a lesser quality of light and cfl's contain mercury, a poisonous neurotoxin and phosphors. Health issues affecting those that suffer from light sensitivity.

It's been suggested that VAT on domestic fuels should be cut from 5% to zero. But 5% is the minimum allowed under EU law.

Less than 10% of Britain's GDP represents trade with the EU yet Brussels regulations afflict 100% of the UK economy.

Britain will pay £100 million a year more to the European budget over the next five years. (Telegraph: 03/12/2014)

Article 42 3. gives the EU the power to begin the process of standardising the military forces of the member states via the EDA.

Britain receives just 49p of every £1 paid to the European Union. (Sunday Express & Business for Britain, 12/07/2015)

TTIP will undermine data privacy by making it easier for companies to gain access to individuals’ personal details for commercial purposes. EU Commission will block public access to all documents related to TTIP negotiations for 30 years. (EU/US negotiator Ignacio Garcia Bercero)
TTIP will downgrade food safety rules (including restrictions on GMOs), regulations on the use of toxic chemicals and data protection laws.
TTIP will allow corporations to sue the UK under the Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) clause.

European crime gangs are operating here with impunity due to EU open borders. Gov't estimates there are 13k trafficking victims in the UK.

The UK may withdraw from the obligations of any (EU) treaty under Articles 56,65,66,67 of the 1969 Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties.

The EU isn't in the top five issues people are most concerned about. But those five issues are affected by the EU - like immigration.

HoC library's 13% UK laws made in Brussels figure doesn't include EU reg's which are transposed into law without passing through parliament. The House of Commons library say 13.3% of UK laws now come from Brussels. European Commissioner Viviane Reding says it's 70%.

Our future does not depend on our membership of the European Union, it rests on our abilities to progress in the world outside of it. Net EU contributions together with the adverse impact on business here of EU regulations will cost the UK more than £20billion in 2015.

There's no economic benefit in the UK remaining in the EU. EU regulations cost our businesses alone over £9.4bn, according to the BIS.

The EU is NOT "Europe". It's 56% of Europe's countries, 68% of the continent's population and just 43% of its land mass.

UK membership of EU: "Perhaps surprisingly, it's virtually impossible to find hard proof of any net benefit" — Carsten Volkery, Der Spiegel

UK has LOWER GDP ppp per head than:

Australia
Canada
Hong Kong
Iceland
Norway
Singapore
Switzerland
Taiwan
USA

Countries THRIVE outside the EU!

Britain’s future outside is bright, while the #EU is anti-democratic, anti-growth, and holding Britain back | via E21 http://t.co/fuFrsSuDHs

EU commits €267.6m for Denmark, €129.6m Estonia, €284.6m Germany, €172.9m for Sweden to boost fisheries & aquaculture. Nothing for the UK.

Top importers into the EU, by proportion of total EU imports:

18% China
12% USA
11% Russia

None have Free Trade Agreements with the EU!

'Britain had regular manufacturing & service trade surpluses with the rest of Western Europe before joining the EEC (EU) in 1973' — Lewis Abbott

Well over a third of EU citizens reaching the UK in the year to March 2015 (39%) had no job arranged prior to their arrival here. ONS

In the past four quarters the EU exported £84.935bn more goods to the UK than we did to it. The EU cannot afford to stop trading with us!

The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th biggest economies can survive and prosper outside the EU. So can the UK.

Switzerland, Canada, South Africa, Chile, Mexico and South Korea have free trade agreements with the EU. So will the UK now.

UK Net Contributions to the EU budget:

£11.3bn 2015 (OBR estimate)
£11.0bn 2014
£8.6bn 2013
£8.5bn 2012
£8.1bn 2011
£7.4bn 2010

Elected MEPs cannot initiate legislation, propose legislation or even repeal legislation. All that is done by the unelected EU Commission.

Sydenham Syd
Posts: 237
Joined: 30 May 2014 09:59
Location: Europe, until otherwise instructed

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by Sydenham Syd »

parker wrote:Here are a few things the EU did to our economy. Make what you like of it:

Jaguar Land Rover stopped making its Defender in the UK because of EU laws on fuel emissions. It is now set to be built abroad outside the EU.

In 2007 the Peugeot factory in Ryton, Coventry closed down (2,300 job losses) and moved to Slovakia with the help of £78m EU funding.
Britain's remaining ferry service to Scandinavia (DFDS Harwich to Esbjerg) ended in 2014 after 140 years service because of an EU Directive.

'3000 police cars foreign made'. Police say they are powerless to offer contracts to British car factories because of EU procurement rules.

Before the UK entered the EU, unemployment stood at 2.6%. It is now 5.6% (1.85 million - June, 2016).

Norway, Iceland and Switzerland are thriving because they are not encumbered by Euro bailout costs and extortionate EU membership fees.

There were 25 EU Free Trade Agreements in force in 2012 while the Swiss (non-EU) had independently negotiated 26.

The EU's Landfill Directive has been responsible for some councils ending their weekly bin collections.

EU specified light bulbs cost 500% more than filament bulbs. Some people complain that the EU specified light bulbs produce a lesser quality of light and cfl's contain mercury, a poisonous neurotoxin and phosphors. Health issues affecting those that suffer from light sensitivity.

It's been suggested that VAT on domestic fuels should be cut from 5% to zero. But 5% is the minimum allowed under EU law.

Less than 10% of Britain's GDP represents trade with the EU yet Brussels regulations afflict 100% of the UK economy.

Britain will pay £100 million a year more to the European budget over the next five years. (Telegraph: 03/12/2014)

Article 42 3. gives the EU the power to begin the process of standardising the military forces of the member states via the EDA.

Britain receives just 49p of every £1 paid to the European Union. (Sunday Express & Business for Britain, 12/07/2015)

TTIP will undermine data privacy by making it easier for companies to gain access to individuals’ personal details for commercial purposes. EU Commission will block public access to all documents related to TTIP negotiations for 30 years. (EU/US negotiator Ignacio Garcia Bercero)
TTIP will downgrade food safety rules (including restrictions on GMOs), regulations on the use of toxic chemicals and data protection laws.
TTIP will allow corporations to sue the UK under the Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) clause.

European crime gangs are operating here with impunity due to EU open borders. Gov't estimates there are 13k trafficking victims in the UK.

The UK may withdraw from the obligations of any (EU) treaty under Articles 56,65,66,67 of the 1969 Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties.

The EU isn't in the top five issues people are most concerned about. But those five issues are affected by the EU - like immigration.

HoC library's 13% UK laws made in Brussels figure doesn't include EU reg's which are transposed into law without passing through parliament. The House of Commons library say 13.3% of UK laws now come from Brussels. European Commissioner Viviane Reding says it's 70%.

Our future does not depend on our membership of the European Union, it rests on our abilities to progress in the world outside of it. Net EU contributions together with the adverse impact on business here of EU regulations will cost the UK more than £20billion in 2015.

There's no economic benefit in the UK remaining in the EU. EU regulations cost our businesses alone over £9.4bn, according to the BIS.

The EU is NOT "Europe". It's 56% of Europe's countries, 68% of the continent's population and just 43% of its land mass.

UK membership of EU: "Perhaps surprisingly, it's virtually impossible to find hard proof of any net benefit" — Carsten Volkery, Der Spiegel

UK has LOWER GDP ppp per head than:

Australia
Canada
Hong Kong
Iceland
Norway
Singapore
Switzerland
Taiwan
USA

Countries THRIVE outside the EU!

Britain’s future outside is bright, while the #EU is anti-democratic, anti-growth, and holding Britain back | via E21 http://t.co/fuFrsSuDHs

EU commits €267.6m for Denmark, €129.6m Estonia, €284.6m Germany, €172.9m for Sweden to boost fisheries & aquaculture. Nothing for the UK.

Top importers into the EU, by proportion of total EU imports:

18% China
12% USA
11% Russia

None have Free Trade Agreements with the EU!

'Britain had regular manufacturing & service trade surpluses with the rest of Western Europe before joining the EEC (EU) in 1973' — Lewis Abbott

Well over a third of EU citizens reaching the UK in the year to March 2015 (39%) had no job arranged prior to their arrival here. ONS

In the past four quarters the EU exported £84.935bn more goods to the UK than we did to it. The EU cannot afford to stop trading with us!

The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th biggest economies can survive and prosper outside the EU. So can the UK.

Switzerland, Canada, South Africa, Chile, Mexico and South Korea have free trade agreements with the EU. So will the UK now.

UK Net Contributions to the EU budget:

£11.3bn 2015 (OBR estimate)
£11.0bn 2014
£8.6bn 2013
£8.5bn 2012
£8.1bn 2011
£7.4bn 2010

Elected MEPs cannot initiate legislation, propose legislation or even repeal legislation. All that is done by the unelected EU Commission.
Well done for copy and pasting from the Brexit handbook.
Many congratulations.

All of this above will just be replaced by people doing it in Britain. It will mean a reappointment of a vast swathe of bureaucrats in this country. We gorge on bureaucracy in this country. We invented it.
Many congratulations.

We have given (whether intentional or unintentional) the impression to a vast amount of people around the world, that we are not willing to support them. A serious failure of attitude from an inward looking group. The sneers on the continent will be completely warranted.
Many congratulations.

All this when we probably won't end up leaving anyway,
Many congratulations.

stuart
Posts: 3242
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 10:13
Location: Lawrie Park
Contact:

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by stuart »

Robin Orton wrote:I've not been so upset and angry about any political event since Suez in 1956 - even including the Iraq war. I can't trust myself to respond in a polite way to IHammer and parker's crowing, so will keep silent.
Yes the insensitivity of posting that to a community that voted 70% REMAIN is astounding. Many of which, including members of my own family, have seen business crash, redundancies notified and rightly are terrified of losing their jobs and homes as a result of Thursday's decision.

Maybe the Brexiter's dreams will come true. The rest of us will forever hold them to account if they do not. I really hope some who voted LEAVE will have the sensitivity to begin now to question the claims of those prophets of that promised land as reality dawns today, next year and for a generation. And do something about it.

I've (ironically) signed the Brexiter's petition for not accepting the referendum vote (when they assumed it was going the other way): https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

I note a UNIONIST politician is suggesting NI protestants should consider taking up their right to Irish citizenship. Why should Sydenham people become unwilling second class citizens? See this petition: https://www.change.org/p/eu-offer-europ ... responsive

Stuart
Last edited by stuart on 27 Jun 2016 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

gurka
Posts: 59
Joined: 21 Jul 2009 15:05
Location: South East

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by gurka »

The result can, and must, be overlooked.

The grounds for this is that the result was by no means conclusive. It was a very narrow majority, and it was not unanimous across the United Kingdom.

Scotland wants to remain. As does Northern Ireland. A four percent overall majority is not enough to override the concerns of Scotland and Northern Ireland and breakup the United Kingdom.

I am sure that the UK remaining together is a high emotional priority for the vast bulk of those English leave voters, and that is how I would sell it.

The UK now needs a bold leader with a vision to acknowledge and reject the result of the vote, taking into account the broader interests of the United Kingdom as a whole. The result of this referendum, if acted on, will breakup the United Kingdom, but it was not a referedum on that, and therefore gives no mandate for that outcome. The UK remaining together is more important than the membership of the EU.

Sydenham Syd
Posts: 237
Joined: 30 May 2014 09:59
Location: Europe, until otherwise instructed

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Completely agree with Gurka.

Sadly, all that has been achieved is the replacement of one high quality Etonian with a really scary prospect of a very low quality one.

I doubt that Bozzer will even try - he's so incapable of doing this. The unbelievable amount of stuff to do from here if A50 is invoked is just not feasible for someone like that. I reckon it is actually beyond anyone.

Hopefully this will just become a complete red herring, and a 'kind of happened' moment when my kids are doing GCSE history in ten years or so.

The reality is unthinkable. We are so ill-equipped to deal with the fall out of this totally absurd decision.

stuart
Posts: 3242
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 10:13
Location: Lawrie Park
Contact:

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by stuart »

Boris has just said

"It's clear that Project Fear is over, there's not going to be an emergency Budget, people's pensions are safe, the pound is stable, the markets are stable." "I think that's all very good news."

The pound on Thursday was 1.31. Now 1.20 and falling.
The FT Index is down over 200 points
Most pensions are invested in the market.

Boris-speak was and is fantasy. The only problem is those that couldn't see that. Its hard to admit one was wrong but look deep into your souls and consider the impact on our community and if you voted LEAVE do something. When there is an indication that just 4 out of a 100 of you are reconsidering then there is no mandate. We should stall and limit the damage.

Stuart

mosy
Posts: 3967
Joined: 21 Sep 2007 20:28
Location: London

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by mosy »

Some might wish to sign this petition too: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... 1466973967

stuart
Posts: 3242
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 10:13
Location: Lawrie Park
Contact:

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by stuart »

Serial petition signers may wish to include this one making London a city state within europe as the majority may want. I mean - even truer-than-blue Bromley usually a Boris loving borough voted to remain: https://www.change.org/p/sadiq-khan-dec ... oin-the-eu

Stuart

parker
Posts: 558
Joined: 26 Mar 2009 21:15
Location: Sydenham Wells

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by parker »

In addition to these petitions maybe someone could go the whole hog and set up some Facebook groups too and see how many likes they get seeing as the referendum wasn't democratic enough.

Nigel
Posts: 2385
Joined: 22 May 2005 16:12
Location: Laurie Park

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by Nigel »

Lewisham liberal backlash: nuspeak and bullying - when labour members vote to leave Europe blame the tories , when a majority of voters want to leave Europe , tell them they are still wrong .
I wonder how many of you felt like this when the ineffectual Corbyn strode out to ensure that alienated working people , stayed alienated but this time with an out of touch Islington labour grandee with a fawning following .

It is not "insensitive " for those that wanted out to celebrate , it will be hate crime next .......

I have never seen such undermining of the electoral system - lets face it , even with an army of beatific young people saying " I'm in " ,most people were out or not concerned enough about Britain's future to vote .

Fair and square - let's get on with it and a temporary dip in the pound is absolutely not a recession - and what does Bromley's vote say either way ? The people voted against all three main parties and from the gutless whining of certainly tories and labour , who can blame them ? Presumably Libdems are having some kind of internal to decide whether they will bleat or moan or demand a recount .

If the Tories try to leave without leaving , the next phase will make BREXIT look like Coldplay fundraising for orphaned koalas . BREXIT was an expression of anger against mainstream politics , the least the main parties can do is know when they are beaten , shut up , and start listening .

A very good evening
Nigel

Post Reply