Celebrating Brexit.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by Eagle »

It is those that will suffer in a big way we should feel sorry for . Too sad for words.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

So who's going to lead this Brexit now then?
More carnage...
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

The final arsonist has legged it.
Sorry, Gove hung himself rather than legged it.
Same result however.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Can anyone explain to me:

1. Half of our immigration comes from outside the EU. If we really wanted/needed to curb immigration, why didn't they reduce to stop the part that they DID have control over?

2. If we trade with the EU, as has been said many times, we still have to pay into it and allow free movement of people. So what has the UK gained by voting out?

3. What rules from the EU were bad or restrictive?

4. Trading with other nations means compromise and comes with restrictions. Cars changed due to US regulations on emissions and safety (it's why MGB's ended up with rubber bumpers due to rules in California and any many British cars stopped being sold there). Won't we still have to comply with other countries rules if we are out, but with less bargaining power than before?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

lee

I regret I cannot help you on these questions , as I also am very puzzled.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

leenewham wrote:Can anyone explain to me:

1. Half of our immigration comes from outside the EU. If we really wanted/needed to curb immigration, why didn't they reduce to stop the part that they DID have control over?

2. If we trade with the EU, as has been said many times, we still have to pay into it and allow free movement of people. So what has the UK gained by voting out?

3. What rules from the EU were bad or restrictive?

4. Trading with other nations means compromise and comes with restrictions. Cars changed due to US regulations on emissions and safety (it's why MGB's ended up with rubber bumpers due to rules in California and any many British cars stopped being sold there). Won't we still have to comply with other countries rules if we are out, but with less bargaining power than before?
http://video.ft.com/5021373916001/Punk- ... ors-Choice

this may help...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hmm, that's what I thought.
Absolutely NO benefit in leaving the EU unless we think trading with our nearest partners is a bad thing and we should trade mostly with the USA, Latin American and Asia and abide by their rules to trade with them.

What do we make again?
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

leenewham wrote:Hmm, that's what I thought.
Absolutely NO benefit in leaving the EU unless we think trading with our nearest partners is a bad thing and we should trade mostly with the USA, Latin American and Asia and abide by their rules to trade with them.

What do we make again?
We make a mess of things.
gurka

Post by gurka »

Making a mess is a understatement, if Theresa May as PM (un-elected I might add, like the heads off the EU....) It will go to new low levels of messed up.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

gurka wrote:Making a mess is a understatement, if Theresa May as PM (un-elected I might add, like the heads off the EU....) It will go to new low levels of messed up.
and Gordon Brown, John Major...probably few more along the way.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Gurka

The so called unelected heads of the EU are appointed by Elected Heads of State from The Union. They are civil servants , how else would one appoint them.

Ultimately the power lies with the Heads of Government acting in Unison.

Too be honest there should be an election but doubt if there will be. Many MP's worried about their seats. In theory a GE would rout Barmy Jeremy but as the electorate has shown it cannot be trusted to make a sane decision.

I would at present Vote Liberal as disgusted with Tories having this so called referendum. However anything possible.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Eagle - would a GE really rout Corbyn?
I thought he had the labour electorate on his side, just not the parliamentary lot? I would have thought he would have a decent stab at it no?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

SS

As I stated the electorate has gone doolaly , so any result is possible. Dianne Abbot as Queen even.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Eagle wrote:SS

As I stated the electorate has gone doolaly , so any result is possible. Dianne Abbot as Queen even.

Haha

My kids will be studying this period in history.
Chapter 6 - "When the UK suddenly went mental"
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Sydenham Syd wrote:
Eagle wrote:SS

Haha

My kids will be studying this period in history.
Chapter 6 - "When the UK suddenly went mental"
Yes that was in the 16th Century... :D
gurka

Post by gurka »

UK Parliament to debate petition calling for 2nd EU referendum; debate to be held 5 Sept http://bbc.in/29tsD6p
mosy

Post by mosy »

There's another potential legal challenge regarding whether Article 50 trigger does need a parliamentary vote or can just be triggered by sitting PM. I read somewhere that a debate might be as early as mid July, but I haven't found any confirmation yet - maybe if others have they could post?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

One can hope that a matter as serious of this MUST be actioned through Parliament .

What over country would make such a big constitutional change after a consultancy referendum ( with many misleading slogans ) and very small majority.

Maybe not too late to pull back from brink.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I don't know what the intention is bit if it is to undermine the public's understandably very shaken belief in democracy and pave the way to a far right contender who will promise to get us out of Europe and be nasty to Europeans already here , then surely the is how one would do it .

I think this is realy dangerous talk - like Obama not actually wanting To start a race war but kind of succeeding anyway .

Unless we actually want to put on the voting booths " graduates only" then I think we need to start respecting all views of the British public .

A very good morning
Nigel
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Democracy at work in the UK:
Today we get a new Prime Minister.
One that no-one voted for…
…From a party that has over 50% of the seats in the commons, despite only 36.9% of the country voted for at the last election.

I agree with you Nigel though. We are kinda stuck with the result and the consequences. I don't know how we can change it, even though I wish we could.

How long until we are just little England and there is no more UK? I give it 5 years tops.