Celebrating Brexit.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pally

Re: Celebrating Brexit.

Post by Pally »

Nigel wrote:Unless we actually want to put on the voting booths " graduates only" then I think we need to start respecting all views of the British public .

A very good morning
Nigel
Quite right Nigel .... but apparently those who holiday in Spain ......!!! :roll: :lol:
_HB

Post by _HB »

Well, I'm very flattered everyone. But I wouldn't want to be the Supreme Leader of any self appointed Republic that would have me.

And I'm afraid I've already accepted an offer to become the next King of Scotland. I do hope there isn't too much blood letting in the power vacuum that I leave behind (but some, there are a few Burghers that have it coming to them...).
stuart

Post by stuart »

_HB wrote:And I'm afraid I've already accepted an offer to become the next King of Scotland.
I didn't realise you were related ...

Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

mosy wrote:@ Parkrunner and stuart: If the EU is adamant on insisting on "same rules as before" then they should be sent away with a flea in their ear the same as D Cameron was in February. You're right, "same rules" is not why I voted Leave. If our government after September agrees such, I'd expect falling on swords by the minute immediately afterwards.

When free movement for example was dreamed up, all countries were of similar economic standing as were future members expected to be. As DC kept saying during his campaign (somewhat pointlessly IMO), net movement in 2008 was about equal, or equal enough to be OK. That era is now well past and evenly flowing two-way traffic is unlikely to be seen for a very long time, even with current membership, without some form of control, which like tariffs will have to be some form of face-saving tit for tat no doubt.

I'll add here that I think it is horrendous that T May won't give any assurance to EU citizens already in some way established here. There should be a cross-party agreement within a week or two about those here now. As to rules about rights of any arriving after "now" until eventual exit, they can be left in limbo perhaps but not ones already here. Shame on her.
Do you know what Cameron actually won in February?

Did we have a net LOSS of EU migration 1997-2004? Of around 339,000...
mosy

Post by mosy »

Quote: "Do you know what Cameron actually won in February? "
Yes, I studied carefully what DC came back with in February and brushed up on them again prior to voting time.

Quote: "Did we have a net LOSS of EU migration 1997-2004? Of around 339,000..."
A lot has happened since then. Are you saying that net migration is achievable any time soon? Or would have been if staying in.

Incidentally, in later weeks of his campaign, DC dropped "a reformed EU" altogether along with his insistence that we had control over immigration from the EU. Don't forgot that one of his major reforms required treaty change and only had a commitment that it would be placed on the table and thus could be rejected on grounds that it would materially change one of the four freedoms to other countries' disadvantage. In that sense it wasn't "won" at all. There's no way of knowing now since it was deferred until after Remain won.