More helicopters lately?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

More helicopters lately?

Post by mosy »

Has anyone else noticed that helicopters seem to be flying around a lot more this week?

I usually hear them on Sunday nights (for some reason) but they seem to have been around most days this week.
gurka

Re: More helicopters lately?

Post by gurka »

Could be that they are keeping a Eye on the Bike groups that seem to meet on sunday on the industrial estate on Kangley Bridge road.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Or a combination of the summer warm air causing sound to travel further, for helicopters to use more power and people leaving their windows open. A triple whammy even if use of helicopters has not increased.

Just shocks me the police still spend a fortune on this outdated technology when drones could do a better, quieter and stealthier job at a fraction of the cost with possibly less risk to life.

Stuart
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I think drones are definitely going to be the future Stuart. I'm just not 100% that they can cram in as much technology into a drone yet as they do in the chopper. Some of the capabilities in the helicopter are absolutely incredible. I'm also not sure about a drone's endurance versus a helicopter.

Furthermore I'm sure a heavy drone with lots of gear on it and would still be lethal if it fell in you/your property. Although it would still be less lethal than the Clutha tragedy I'm sure.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

there was a drone over out back garden recently - not sure if it was just a local neighbour with a new toy, or a person with criminal intent doing a reccy.

there's no obvious way of knowing where they are being 'driven' from.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Well, one - and maybe two at one point, it sounded like - was certainly buzzing around earlier this evening. Not as far south as Kangley Bridge, though, or so it seemed to me.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Yes, one this morning that I can still hear. Sometimes one or two seem to be circling for ages and I just wonder what they're looking at, or looking for.

The noise doesn't bother me - I just know when they're close because they upset TV aerial signal so it's just curiosity as to what they're doing.
stuart

Post by stuart »

mosy wrote:I just know when they're close because they upset TV aerial signal so it's just curiosity as to what they're doing.
Have you got a TV licence? If not be afraid, be very afraid:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/06 ... i_iplayer/

Stuart :o
oluwababe

Post by oluwababe »

the tv license vans are fake they don't track anyone
stuart

Post by stuart »

oluwababe wrote:the tv license vans are fake they don't track anyone
Did you read the article?

This is about now, not the past. Are you aware your wifi has almost certainly been already slurped by Google Streetview detector cars/vans? Anybody can do it with a tablet computer and packet sniffing software. A helicopter/drone would be a great platform to triangulate more faster.

Stuart
mosy

Post by mosy »

Helicopter still whizzing about...

I read the article by the way. I'm still "tin hat" - or blasé - that if you go online the world and his dog knows everything anyway because you have to sign your privacy rights away as soon as you use any app. As I already have a licence, if I were now to cancel it I'm sure there'd be Men in Black around instantly... so yes, scare tactics work I suppose. It doesn't make charging a BBC licence fee right though :(
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

mosy wrote:Has anyone else noticed that helicopters seem to be flying around a lot more this week?

I usually hear them on Sunday nights (for some reason) but they seem to have been around most days this week.
One can follow the @mpsinthesky on twitter. Explanations are sometimes given for their presence but they don't like sarcy tweets when they fly over and circle the Oval during a Test match... :wink:
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

The @mpsinthesky account changed over to a new NPAS Twitter account when the air support unit was transferred from the Met to the National Police Air Service. It is a lot less informative and interactive than it was when it was a Met account.
mosy

Post by mosy »

There's been at least one helicopter circling around since 9.10am today intermittently (as I hear them) and there still is one or more now. Are all you people in Sydenham dropping litter or something? ;)