Speed Camera Westwood Hill - Which speed???

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Re: Speed Camera Westwood Hill - Which speed???

Post by mosy »

The drivers amongst you might want to take this 10-question quiz from the Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/inspire ... YzRykSFJ81#!/
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

marymck wrote:... and increase pollution. Especially on hills. I believe this should have at least been debated in the Council chamber. But it was in the local Labour manifesto and Lewisham is now a one party borough. So it wasn't debated. I have asked for sight of the pollution predictions and studies used by Lewisham to support their decision. I believe LBL is relying on studies made on horizontal roads, not on hills. Studies on hills show that all motor vehicles pollute more going uphill at 20 than at 30.
The last paragraph of the article below is relevant to this point:

The polluting effect of wear and tear in brakes and tyres

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... utionwatch
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Driving through the borough of Lewisham yesterday (including Sydenham) for the firs time in a while I must say that the signage is a disgrace. A mixture of 20/30mph signs, no signs entering roads or sections thereof and then one tiny mini-sign on a lamppost by itself.

On Whitefoot lane there is an electronic sign and some posters telling you to drive at 30 shortly followed by a 2mph sign!
mosy

Post by mosy »

bensonby wrote:Driving through the borough of Lewisham yesterday (including Sydenham) for the firs time in a while I must say that the signage is a disgrace. A mixture of 20/30mph signs, no signs entering roads or sections thereof and then one tiny mini-sign on a lamppost by itself.

On Whitefoot lane there is an electronic sign and some posters telling you to drive at 30 shortly followed by a 2mph sign!
I assume that 2 means 20. But it sounds like a perfect "gotcha". If not intended to be a gotcha, then dismal if safety is key.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

mosy wrote:The drivers amongst you might want to take this 10-question quiz from the Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/inspire ... YzRykSFJ81#!/
I got 7 - but then I don't see why I need to how many stars an NCAP test gives, or what I have to have in my car when driving in France, knowing either of those things won't make me a better driver.
knowing the stopping distances as proscribed by the govt, is not much help either really - what you should know is how far the stopping distance is of the car you are driving at the time, and usually that's in a distance to the car in front rather than actual metres on the road.
Lois

Post by Lois »

I got 10/10 but admit that the first aid kit in France was a pure guess.

Agree about the mess of the signs totally.

A safe stopping distance that will cover all cars that are legal and in good condition is 2 seconds on a dry road and 4 seconds on a wet road. Just watch the car in front go past a marker such as a lamp post or a bridge and say (one, one thousand, two, one thousand) or (Only a fool breaks the two second rule).