Proposed Constituency Boundaries

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
The Clown

Proposed Constituency Boundaries

Post by The Clown »

http://www.bce2018.org.uk

"Peckham & Lewisham West" ?
Robin Orton

Re: Proposed Constituency Boundaries

Post by Robin Orton »

Oh no! Last time we were going to be 'Dulwich and Sydenham'. Don't these people even think about what it's going to do to house prices?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Does this mean the end of Jim Dowd?

Is this what they meant by "we are in it together'?

Isn't Peckham a totally different Local Authority?

Don't worry Robin, Peckham is cool these days (and expensive). If anything, Peckham would probably be concerned about being lumped in with Lewisham!

It does feel like an odd pairing though.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Same size constituencies is a must , or near as possible.

I believe the people working it out are totally independent.

Surely Mr Dowd will not stand again. He can still visit beer festivals.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Some 10 years ago at least properties were more expensive in Peckham than in Sydenham, one reason being that Peckham is in Zone 2.
And Peckham has become trendy since then.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

As long as a constituency is contiguous does it matter what areas it includes. The main think is population about the same.

Hopefully will produce a lot more marginal seats
parker

Post by parker »

Christ Almighty, Peckham?! Would it really be that difficult not to be twinned with Beckenham instead, it is nearer. Peckham makes me want to be sick in my mouth, it's already bad enough being associated with Lewisham AND Penge!
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

parker wrote:Would it really be that difficult not to be twinned with Beckenham instead.
Is not Beckenham famed for being the most boring place in the known world?
parker

Post by parker »

Robin Orton wrote:
parker wrote:Would it really be that difficult not to be twinned with Beckenham instead.
Is not Beckenham famed for being the most boring place in the known world?
It's a million times better in every way than SE26 though. And less likely to be stabbed :P scary and sad how true that is.
alywin

Post by alywin »

parker wrote:Would it really be that difficult not to be twinned with Beckenham instead, it is nearer. Peckham makes me want to be sick in my mouth, it's already bad enough being associated with Lewisham AND Penge!
Penge *used* to be linked with Beckenham. It was only the last lot of boundary changes which lumped it in with Lewisham West, ignoring such things as borough boundaries. I can't decide which is worse: a very safe seat Conservative constituency or a very safe seat Labour one :(
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Alywin

I agree we need more marginal seats .

How do we know Lewisham west is not marginal , it used to be prior to Jim Dowd , John Maples before him being a Tory .

Maybe we underestimate Jim. Perhaps he has a large personal vote.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

My biggest problem with these proposals is the fact SE26 will actually be split between 5 constituencies. Bell Green will be part of Lewisham & Catford, Sydenham Avenue/CP Park Road will be Croydon North, Cator/Wiverton/Venner Roads will be Beckenham, the Southwark side of Sydenham Hill will be Dulwich & West Norwood and the rest will be Peckham & Lewisham West. As for Peckham and Lewisham West as a constituency, no way it will become a marginal. The original plan for the Dulwich & Sydenham constituency would have been very interesting.
Syd_Stone

Post by Syd_Stone »

No problem with reducing total number of MPs (although total in the Lords a much more egregious problem).

But more marginals? Elections being decided purely on marginals is a distorting disgrace. Only one question should ever be asked when setting up an electoral system — why should where someone lives dictate the value of their vote?

What we should have is the single transferable vote, with constituencies returning a minimum four MPs each (and thus being vastly more representative).

Sorry. Every now and then the sheer stupidity of FPTP forces me to comment. And yes, I know, we had that referendum...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Syd

As you say we have been down that road with yet another stupid referendum.
What is the point of MP's if we are going to ask the voters all the time.

Agree FPTP not ideal but it is good having a local contact.

Not totally against other systems being investigated. But please NO referendum.

More marginal seats would indeed help.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Likelife wrote:My biggest problem with these proposals is the fact SE26 will actually be split between 5 constituencies. Bell Green will be part of Lewisham & Catford, Sydenham Avenue/CP Park Road will be Croydon North, Cator/Wiverton/Venner Roads will be Beckenham, the Southwark side of Sydenham Hill will be Dulwich & West Norwood and the rest will be Peckham & Lewisham West.
That does sound a bit mad, although moving Cator/Wiverton/Venner Road would I think merely put them back where they used to be? (oh joy, a Conservative safe seat :( ) - indeed, I believe that Cator has a BR postcode anyway, or is it only the church on Lennard Rd which does?
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

alywin wrote:
Likelife wrote:My biggest problem with these proposals is the fact SE26 will actually be split between 5 constituencies. Bell Green will be part of Lewisham & Catford, Sydenham Avenue/CP Park Road will be Croydon North, Cator/Wiverton/Venner Roads will be Beckenham, the Southwark side of Sydenham Hill will be Dulwich & West Norwood and the rest will be Peckham & Lewisham West.
That does sound a bit mad, although moving Cator/Wiverton/Venner Road would I think merely put them back where they used to be? (oh joy, a Conservative safe seat :( ) - indeed, I believe that Cator has a BR postcode anyway, or is it only the church on Lennard Rd which does?
Cator and Woodbastwick is defiantly SE26. Cator Road is the most expensive road in the Sydenham postcode. Lennard Road is SE20 until Kent House Road where it becomes BR3. Geography nerd here :lol: