Cash Machine Harrassment

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
chrisj1948

Cash Machine Harrassment

Post by chrisj1948 »

My wife has just had the unfortunate experience, at the cash machine outside Tesco Direct on Sydenham Road near the Newlands Park junction, of having a guy lean over her and manipulate the keypad, making three attempts to interfere with her transaction until she shouted at him to go away. This meant that her card was not returned from the machine, and she was quite shaken. She blocked the card within minutes. I then went to the same machine to get some money for her and the same guy then tried to do the same thing to me! Being suitably forewarned I swivelled round immediately to block the machine and told him, very aggressively, to back off. He went away and I could complete my transaction. I collected my camera and went to see if I could find and photograph him, but with no luck.

He was of slight build, slightly under medium height, clean mixed race complexion, dressed in dark clothing and a dark woollen hat. He had slightly oversize lightly tinted 'trendy' glasses.

My wife and I are both elderly, and might be seen as easy targets. It might be an idea if others were on their watch when visiting a cashpoint.

Regards
Chris
mosy

Re: Cash Machine Harrassment

Post by mosy »

Yes, I reported something similar a while back that happened to me at the Lloyd's ATM. It is disconcerting and much ado to reclaim any money lost.

As we don't have eyes in the back of our head and cash machines don't have a mirror, I reckon the best thing is to stand firmly to the right so blocking the card/money slots as well as the keypad. Other people have suggested that it's safer to get cashback from a supermarket till, or e.g. Santander who have a machine inside.

Thanks for the heads up that they're around again.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

mosy wrote:Yes, I reported something similar a while back that happened to me at the Lloyd's ATM. It is disconcerting and much ado to reclaim any money lost.

As we don't have eyes in the back of our head and cash machines don't have a mirror, I reckon the best thing is to stand firmly to the right so blocking the card/money slots as well as the keypad. Other people have suggested that it's safer to get cashback from a supermarket till, or e.g. Santander who have a machine inside.

I agree with this and sorry to hear about the hustle. The guys in PFC will definitely defend their territory, so worth pointing it out to them.

My wife recently had her card taken at the Barclays and subsequently reused fraudulently in Istanbul (the city as opposed to the shop) a few days later. It was late at night and they presumably put a device over the ATM card feeder, and it got caught and then they came and whipped it. Quite a serious operation but, needless to say, got the card and the money refunded, however there is no doubt that the high st is a soft target for these guys.

The chap as the subject line doesn't seem like a professional, but rather a proper nuisance.
parker

Post by parker »

Sydenham Syd wrote:
mosy wrote:Yes, I reported something similar a while back that happened to me at the Lloyd's ATM. It is disconcerting and much ado to reclaim any money lost.

I agree with this and sorry to hear about the hustle. The guys in PFC will definitely defend their territory, so worth pointing it out to them.

My wife recently had her card taken at the Barclays and subsequently reused fraudulently in Istanbul (the city as opposed to the shop) a few days later. It was late at night and they presumably put a device over the ATM card feeder, and it got caught and then they came and whipped it. Quite a serious operation but, needless to say, got the card and the money refunded, however there is no doubt that the high st is a soft target for these guys.

The chap as the subject line doesn't seem like a professional, but rather a proper nuisance.
Shouldn't banks be checking their external cash points every single morning and setting them out of service if anything doesn't seem right about them. Can't they take some more responsibility for their property and ensure their customers are using correctly fitted cash points.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

It's worth reporting to the police: I know of one case some years ago that I had first hand knowledge of where the suspect was spotted on the CCTV covering the cash point. The footage clearly showed him discarding a cigarette butt nearby. The officer investigating the case returned to the scene and picked it up (one benefit of reduced street sweeping!), DNA was retrieved from the butt and the suspect, who had a record as long as your arm, was nicked and charged.
gurka

Post by gurka »

Certainly report it to the police as they will be able to check the CCTV for sure.
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

yes vary wrong. police shuld know about this. hope you wife is ok.