The Greyhound Welcomes.........

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
TheTruth

The Greyhound Welcomes.........

Post by TheTruth »

.........Nandos.
angela53

Re: The Greyhound Welcomes.........

Post by angela53 »

I would not have a problem with this
There is nothing worse than a derelict building
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Wow.
Not sure the residents of the flats will be thrilled...Peri Peri smells

I suppose it's a restaurant that people go to, and it serves pretty decent fayre all things considered, so why not.

How did you hear about it?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Sigh...
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

No WAY.

Anyone got a link? I will happily get involved in fighting this if anyone knows a way. Nandos are a very unpleasant who source their chicken meat from very unscrupulous sources. Not exactly free-range, by any stretch of the imagination.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I thought it was a Pub or nothing
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Didnt' the Greyhound get 'Asset of community Value' status? Or did I just imagine that? If so, I don't see how Nandos could tick that box...
blakewho

Post by blakewho »

In the absence of any actual evidence I will treat this debut post by someone calling themselves 'The Truth' with a certain amount of skepticism.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Until a source is posted I shall remain calm. :)

Though as someone who lives directly opposite, at least I would not get more pub noise, the Pavillion's Karaoke night is rather loud though I will admit sometimes amusing.... even my cat can't make sounds like that :)
parker

Post by parker »

I really wish threads like this were expunged straight away. I'll apologise if a Nando's actually opens in Sydenham.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

On the unlikely chance it is going to be an outlet for intensively reared chicken , pent-up aggression and dubious sauces , I do have Purelake's number handy.

If it comes to a Nando's perhaps we can can ask Purelake to do some minor " refurbishment "again then hope Nandos goes bust in the 5 years it will take to rebuild . After first removing Lee's excellent mosaic of course .

A very good evening
Nigel
parker

Post by parker »

Sydenham would be lucky to get a Nando's. All this BS about intensively reared chicken etc, everywhere pretty much has a Nando's and the sky hasn't fallen in. Some of the attitudes on here mustn't be living in the same grotty Sydenham I see every day, talk about living on planet cuckooland. This is Sydenham, not Chelsea.
prince

Post by prince »

I would absolutely love an independent group to set up a gastro pub. Let's hope we get what we want. However at the end of the day we can't influence who Purelake sells or leases the building to. They will look to get maximum value from the building and if big chains are interested they are likely to offer the highest price. As much as we might like them to Purelake won't be going out of their way to sell to who some of us might like.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rod

It would surely be a shame after all the fighting for a Pub a cheap chicken cafe appears.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I thought the whole point of the action to keep the building was based on returning it to a pub.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

I googled "Asset of Community Value" with Greyhound Sydenham and found this link:
https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/getinvolved ... essful.pdf

Scroll down and you'll find the Greyhound in this list. The list is titled "List of Successful Nominations". That either means its nomination was successful - i.e. it now has 'asset of community value' status – or it merely means it was successful in getting nominated for this status – i.e. there's a kind of pre-application application. The latter would seem unlikely.

Still, there are people who read and contribute to this forum who would know the answer. Anyone? I know an ACV application was pending - can anyone tell me the result? If it does have ACV status, I'd be surprised if it could be a chain restaurant - I can' imagine Nandos would be able to tick the boxes.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I think it is the Planning Use that is the determinant, which for The Greyhound is A1, A3 and A4 (according to Acorn). I think it's the building itself which is the asset.

See: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/2 ... nge_of_use

A1 Shops - Shops, retail warehouses, hairdressers, undertakers, travel and ticket agencies, post offices, pet shops, sandwich bars, showrooms, domestic hire shops, dry cleaners, funeral directors and internet cafes.

A3 Restaurants and cafés - For the sale of food and drink for consumption on the premises - restaurants, snack bars and cafes.

A4 Drinking establishments - Public houses, wine bars or other drinking establishments (but not night clubs).
-----

Not
A2 Financial and professional services - Financial services such as banks and building societies, professional services (other than health and medical services) and including estate and employment agencies. It does not include betting offices or pay day loan shops - these are now classed as “sui generis” uses (see below).

A5 Hot food takeaways - For the sale of hot food for consumption off the premises.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

As Nando's do a take away service does that mean they are also A5 or just retaurant category?
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

It won't be a Nando's. Wind-up merchant registers, posts once knowing it'll start a debate and then buggers off.

There will be a new bistro pub at the Alexandra though, just over the border in SE20. Applicants, including "an impressive chain" (quote from developers) are currently being assessed.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Parker1970 wrote:As Nando's do a take away service does that mean they are also A5 or just retaurant category?
I imagine that A3 would allow takeaways as an extra to sit-down, but not as the primary use. That's a guess though.

In a similar vein to the opening post, I have it on good authority that a pet shop is interested ;)