176 route - again

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nickerbockers

176 route - again

Post by Nickerbockers »

I just wondered if anyone knows of any disruption (apart from the Dartmouth Road closure as that doesn't seem to make much difference) to the 176 route lately? I've been waiting AGES for my bus home from work the last couple of days, so much so I got cold through two nights running and am now coming down with a cold - grrr!!

It would help to know what's causing these immense gaps between 176s, so if anyone knows, please could you fill me in?

Thanks.

BTW: the first day of the Dartmouth Road closure, so many people were standing waiting at the Horniman's Museum stop waiting for a 176 or 197 which were ON THE DISPLAY but obviously would never arrive as they were turning off further down the road up to Sydenham Hill. Eventually, after 25 mins or more I happened to spot a very small notice on the bus stop saying about the diversion. GREAT communication that, we were all fed up, tired and freezing cold by then!!!
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Guess nobody knows the answer then... :(
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

..you might have got home quicker if you'd walked... you can get a long way in 25mins, esp as from Horniman's its all downhill.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Edited. Sorry, i was wrong with my initial assumptions. Apologies to Thames Water

The lack of warning from British Gas has been highly noticeable. Warnings at each end of Dartmouth Road have completely missed those who live along the road line. People have been kept waiting at bus-stops by the girls school, the Bricklayers arms, the Library etc.
It could have been handled a bit better as no-one knows their schedule for works or which areas are going to be effected in the future.
Car drivers have also been whizzing backwards and forwards.

I suggest logging onto the British Gas website and offer some constructive comments.

ALib
Last edited by ALIB on 17 Jan 2008 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Savvy wrote:..you might have got home quicker if you'd walked... you can get a long way in 25mins, esp as from Horniman's its all downhill.
WALK?? From Hornimans to the other end of Lawrie Park Road?? After work??? Not for me thanks...

I may go into Thames Water website, thanks. I think it ends on 22nd Jan, I'm sure I saw that on a sign somewhere, but I think it could've been MUCH better publicised!
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

.... Ooooh but that's a nice walk! not too many roads to cross, and very easy in terms of elevation. I bet you could do it in 30mins tops... which would only 'cost' you about 10 mins because I bet the wait for the bus and the journey at the other end takes 20mins anyway. And it would save you money, and it would keep you fit and relieve the stresses of the day. Sorry for harping on... I'm not known as 'mad walking woman' for nothin'.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Nickerbockers wrote:WALK?? From Hornimans to the other end of Lawrie Park Road?? After work??? Not for me thanks...
Bloody hell, that's not even a stroll! I've been walking to work from the CP end of Lawrie Park Road to Lewisham and then back in the evening... (although I admit I got a 185 back to Forest Hill on Tuesday when it chucked it down only to find 197's and 176's had diverted somewhere near Plymouth then got p***ed on walking back from there :evil: )
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Good for you Nork! That's a fair stroll, and not that pretty either, AND its uphill on the way back. I used to walk to and from Lewisham hospital pushing a three stone child in a buggy when I was Fostering summer before last... one old lady stopped me one day and asked if I was ok! She said 'oh dear, you do look hot!' It was about 85 degrees though. I lost 2stone that year (sigh...), half of it is back on now but I'm walking 2hrs a day now to try and get it off again. (London Br to Westminster - 50 mins each way plus lunchtime 'two bridges' saunter).
user100

Post by user100 »

I may be wrong but I think the OP was probably looking more for a sympathetic response as well as more info about the reasons for the delays, not for exhortations to have a bracing walk - cause that's just even more annoying!

I'm sure it was a real pain hanging round waiting for a bus that never came, especially in the evening and in this cold weather. Hope your commute has improved since then!
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

That walk is less than 2 miles.
an absolute doddle
I used to do it all the time, and further besides
would give you an excuse to stop for a quick half at the woodman, or pick up a bag of chips to walk off
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

.... that would be my downfall, not being able to walk past the Woodman, that's if I got past the Dartmouth.
nork1

Post by nork1 »

You wanna complain? Walking to Sydenham from Lewisham there are 16 pubs on the way. It takes hours.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

... it would be interesting if you would list them Nork.
nork1

Post by nork1 »

Watch House
Fox & Firkin
Jolly Farmers
Coach & Horses
The George
Some Irish pub that used to be called Shellaleigh's
Plough & Harrow
London & Rye
Goose on the Green
Copperfield
Perry Hill
Bell
Prince Alfred
Dolphin
Two Half's (sic)
Railway
georgemichael

Post by georgemichael »

I like the sic by Two Half's!
nork1

Post by nork1 »

Yeah - sorry about that but it was my 15th pint. I thought they'd have cleared it up by now.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

nork1 wrote:Watch House
Fox & Firkin
Jolly Farmers
Coach & Horses
The George
Some Irish pub that used to be called Shellaleigh's
Plough & Harrow
London & Rye
Goose on the Green
Copperfield