sydenham post office

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Likelife

Re: sydenham post office

Post by Likelife »

alywin wrote:
Likelife wrote:Took it for granted WHSmith would of taken it.
They're not going to open a branch in Sydenham just so we can have a Post Office, though.
No, but a lot of high streets have a WHSmith. It just seemed quite plausible for them to consider opening a branch.
mosy

Post by mosy »

There is a plausibility element for W H Smith if, as alywin says, their Forest Hill branch has had to restrict product lines to suit the reduced space, i.e. Sydenham could be its twin shop to complete its retail product offering for less usual items which are already easily available from various shops near by.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

alywin wrote:
leenewham wrote:It works when it's in a WHSmiths reasonably well, and it's great to have banking services there.
Well, that's debatable. The Beckenham branch has sacrificed a lot of retail space to fit the PO in - to the extent that I now can't get some basic office supplies there and have to travel to Croydon :( As for banking services, does Penge not offer that? My previous PO had been offering those for over a decade.
Most Post Offices offer banking services. I presume that Penge does, I haven't been there.
I never get office supplies from WHSmiths, but Post Offices attract people into WHSmiths and reduce the costs for the Post Office, so yes, they tend to work well with one another. I'm sure they will amend their offer to compliment the services offered by the Post Office.
mosy

Post by mosy »

The main thing I wonder about is that people who use Sydenham post office tend to have complicated transactions (e.g. presenting personal ID that you can't do online) rather than just buying a stamp or weighing a parcel, hence the slow-moving queues sometimes. I hope they employ queueing theory before deciding on number of windows and manning them when allocating space. Mostly I hope that it will stay open needless to say.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

There is a public meeting on Thursday 18 May starting at 7.30pm in the upstairs hall at The Sydenham Centre to discuss the proposed franchise and downgrading of Sydenham Crown Post Office. The meeting has been organised by the Campaign to Save Sydenham Crown Post Office and speakers include the trade union representing the counter staff.

Comments from this meeting will then be shared at the drop in consultation organised by the Post Office on Tuesday 23 May at The Sydenham Centre from 4 - 7pm. The Post Office will be setting out their plans for the franchise with ZCO Limited. The Post Office have a web site for more information and feedback at postofficeviews.co.uk under reference number 025007.

Please find the time to attend these sessions as the Post Office is a vital part of our high street. I have spoken to the Post Office who tell me the service will remain the same. Feedback from other franchised Post Offices is that the staff do not transfer so new staff are not experienced and up to speed with all the products on offer. The Post Office have said they will bring along plans of the new layout and the retail offer from ZCO which will include newspapers and stationery.
Snewman

Post by Snewman »

Quick reminder: there is a public consultation/forum on the future of Sydenham Crown Post Office tomorrow (Tuesday 23rd) at the Sydenham Centre, 16:00 - 19:00.

There are plans to downgrade and privatise our local post office, which will mean fewer services and job loses. Make sure your voice is heard!