sydenham post office

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
multisync

sydenham post office

Post by multisync »

Any idea why the post office was closed today ?
syd-gal

Re: sydenham post office

Post by syd-gal »

Maybe they were getting ready for the 5 day strike next week?
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

Yes strike. We went to the PO in forest hill instead (the one in WH Smith). Long q but 3 counter staff on so was about a 10-15 min wait. Not too bad, even with 2 kids in tow, as books along the way ! I am pretty sure I saw I sign saying they were going to be open earlier than usual (8) during week up to Christmas but please check this as I was in a bit of a daze!!
southernmoose

Post by southernmoose »

Really hoping we don't loose our Post Office on Sydenham High Street. It's a hub for the local community and much more than simply a postal service. Signed a card Union members were giving out outside the PO a few weeks ago, and have also signed the 38 degrees petition but not sure what else to do. Anyone know if the Sydenham Society are actively campaigning to keep it? Hope so.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I'd echo that - so many people use it and for so many things .
A very good evening
Nigel
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I know from friends re the same saga in Beckenham

The main PO closed a few months ago and business moved to W H Smith's in the High Street.

I have been told queues much less and service very good.

Only one example but not all negative.
alywin

Post by alywin »

The Beckenham closure was apparently (allegedly) prompted by the landlords wanting the property back, so possibly not the same situation, though. I'd assumed that the Royal Mail owned the building, but apparently not. The WHS one is currently unable to fulfil all its Crown Post Office functions due to security reasons, or some such, I noticed as I went past the other day.

Is there any reason to suspect that Sydenham is seriously at risk? If so, then we really need to fight to save it. At least Sydenham doesn't have a WHS ...
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

I received the following statement on Sydenham Post Office on the 6 March as the latest position regarding the actions the Post Office is taking to ensure the future sustainability of Sydenham Post Office:

In 2016, the Post Office advertised for a suitable retail partner to operate Sydenham branch under a franchise arrangement and there has been interest registered with us about this. Such an arrangement would ensure the Post Office remains in the same vicinity, providing a wide range of services for customers.

The Post Office has not yet drawn up detailed plans but when these are prepared there will be a six-week public consultation and the feedback from this will be carefully considered before any final decision is made.

The Post Office understands that, in the meantime, there are questions about the business’s intentions and therefore wants to reassure customers and the community:

• By working with a retail partner, as the Post Office does for the majority of its 11,600 branches, both large and small, a viable Post Office can be ensured for Sydenham for years to come. Current branch staff would be able to transfer their employment, in line with TUPE legislation, should they wish to do so or other options will be discussed with them. No compulsory redundancies are envisaged.

• The Post Office’s larger franchised branches in towns and cities are bright, modern open-plan areas within retail stores. Levels of business, both current and forecast, are analysed to ensure sufficient serving positions. The staff in franchised branches receive the same Post Office training as those in directly-managed branches.

• The Post Office has stringent standards to ensure they are accessible for all its customers, including elderly people and those with disabilities or mobility issues. Features such as low-level counters, PIN pads, hearing loops and customer seating are always provided.

• There will be no change to the current branch whilst the Post Office is making its plans.
The Post Office’s policy is to keep branches on high streets and at the heart of communities where they play an important role in local economies.

To do so, the business is responding to rapidly changing consumer trends and, alongside modernising the branch network, is continuing to develop services to remain relevant for customers. As well as traditional mails and other services, today’s Post Office network provides – for example - for the collection or return of online shopping, offers a ‘click and collect’ service for Travel Money foreign currency and day-to-day banking for the majority of customers of UK banks. Under a new industry-wide agreement 99 per cent of UK personal bank customers and 75 per cent of business customers can carry out day-to-day banking at any Post Office branch.

The current Sydenham branch is not sustainable into the future and the Post Office cannot expect taxpayers to subsidise branches in towns and cities when services can be provided under a franchise arrangement – a proven model which supports both Post Offices and retail businesses.

The statement was handed out at the Sydenham Assembly on Tuesday and we will continue to work with the Post Office for a solution to ensure we retain our much needed high street Post Office.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Q. What are you going to do as a local Sydenham representative in the London Brough of Lewisham, who campaigns on working towards a "vibrant high street - partnership between the Sydenham Traders and local businesses" about the Post Office and empty Co-op/Budgens site?

I've worked with the Post office and they are good to deal with, very co-operative. Might it be prudent to seek out possible businesses to host a franchise in the Post Office? It doesn't have to be WH Smiths.

Will the local Sydenham representatives in the borough be pro-active in actively seeking a 'vibrant high street'? It would be great to see an effort along the lines of Cllr Alan Halls endeavors with the Millwall fiasco in our own high street instead of copied and posted press releases.

A vision would be good. What should happen now?

For example: It's possible for the council to use various powers to attract local businesses with the appropriate political will by using sweetener deals with rate holidays or rebates. Other councils have done this.
Kingfisher78

Post by Kingfisher78 »

I completely agree with you Lee!

If there is no other choice, would Tesco not be interested in taking over? The current spot that they occupy is so small, with such little product variety that it would make far more sense for them to occupy the Budgens site instead.

Yes, I am excited that after years of local residents fighting for the Greyhound to be rebuilt and reopen, it finally will, and yes, I am happy that work on the site where the graffiti mural used to be is quickly progressing. However, if we do not do our best to make sure that a food retailer occupies the Budgens spot, Sydenham High Street will lose it's primary function, which is to sell food. Sydenham will instead largely consist of betting shops, letting agents, budget shops and take away shops.

At the moment, we have a complete lack of restaurants (I am not including cafe's or pub's that sell food), and a complete lack of food stores. Our food stores on the High Street consist of Sainsbury's Local, Tesco Express, a few Turkish and Eastern European food shops and Lidl. Turkish, Eastern European food shops and Lidl will not sell a lot of the types of food that Tesco, Sainsbury's or Asda will. Additionally, Lidl is currently so popular as a result of the lack of variety of food retailers on the high street, and it being the biggest and cheapest food store on the High Street, that the endless queues at all times of day are usually off putting for someone who just wants to pop in for a product or two, or needs to go shopping after work.

The Sainsbury's Local and Tesco that we currently have are tiny. This means that there is a lack of variety in terms of the products that they sell, and often when cooking or baking I am completely unable to find certain food items that are not even niche. Additionally, because of the size of Tesco Express and Sainsbury's Local, they are usually almost completely out of items such as ready made sandwiches and pasta salads shortly after opening. They will also be short on ready meals and some chilled items by around 3pm or 4pm. This means that customers end up having to go from shop to shop to try and find what their looking for, sometimes giving up in the process.

Additionally, though we have a very large Sainsbury's in Bell Green, this is in lower Sydenham, not Sydenham High street. For those of us who don't own a car, it is expensive when you're paying for buses, or cabs, especially when you're carrying heavy shopping home, and buying food items that you are unable to find on your High Street.

Penge have a large Sainsbury's directly on their High Street, so does Forest Hill. Catford has a large Tesco. Bromley High Street and Beckenham High Street, though much larger than ours, also have a variety of large food retailers e.g. Sainsbury's, Waitrose and Marks and Spencer's.

I am also unkeen for the spot to become another budget shop. We have enough of them on our High Street, and the one's we currently do have look tacky and aesthetically reduce the look of the whole street e.g. rotten awnings, no effort as to their shop display, merely just appearing as clutter.

I believe that if we try our best, a food retailer will take over this spot. The spot has been the home to food stores for over 30 years, providing us with a choice in what we buy. Let's not give up before we've even tried.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Wow Kingfisher78. I'd be surprised if your disparaging view, because it's not a supermarket heaven, of the various Sydenham Road "high street" shops is representative of the many who shop in them.

The least good value of them all is small supermarket "metros" which add a premium (due to overheads I imagine) over prices charged at big stores, or bought (delivered) from their full range online.

Where do you get this notion that the primary function of the long high street and its myriad shops is to sell food or purvey food via restaurants? Do your shoes not need mending or suits cleaned, nor need pots, pans, or hardware or new bowls and potting compost etc (what you call budget shops), or replacement linens, haberdashery and curtains/carpets, or your hair cutting/styling, or women's nails or pedicure. Are you on a diet or something given your pre-occupation with food when you so casually discount all else, yet you also seem to discount the good small food retailers?
------

I don't know if this matters, but I found the layout of Budgens and its predecessor awkward. It was much better as the Co-op had it with the corner entrance (good Feng Shui) and easy exit to the car park together with a much more light and airy natural "walk through" the shelving aisles to find what you want, especially as shelves have become taller to stock more goods - the whole thing became a maze. The same applies to Sainsbury behind The Greyhound, a really offputting layout. Maybe it's just me although I'd welcome leenewham's thoughts on layout in case it's just my claustrophobia.
Kingfisher78

Post by Kingfisher78 »

mosy wrote:Wow Kingfisher78. I'd be surprised if your disparaging view, because it's not a supermarket heaven, of the various Sydenham Road "high street" shops is representative of the many who shop in them.

The least good value of them all is small supermarket "metros" which add a premium (due to overheads I imagine) over prices charged at big stores, or bought (delivered) from their full range online.

Where do you get this notion that the primary function of the long high street and its myriad shops is to sell food or purvey food via restaurants? Do your shoes not need mending or suits cleaned, nor need pots, pans, or hardware or new bowls and potting compost etc (what you call budget shops), or replacement linens, haberdashery and curtains/carpets, or your hair cutting/styling, or women's nails or pedicure. Are you on a diet or something given your pre-occupation with food when you so casually discount all else, yet you also seem to discount the good small food retailers?
------

I don't know if this matters, but I found the layout of Budgens and its predecessor awkward. It was much better as the Co-op had it with the corner entrance (good Feng Shui) and easy exit to the car park together with a much more light and airy natural "walk through" the shelving aisles to find what you want, especially as shelves have become taller to stock more goods - the whole thing became a maze. The same applies to Sainsbury behind The Greyhound, a really offputting layout. Maybe it's just me although I'd welcome leenewham's thoughts on layout in case it's just my claustrophobia.
I didn't say that a High Street should serve NO other function apart from selling food. I argue that the primary function of a High Street should be to sell food/drink, whether that be food retailers, cafe's, restaurant's, take away, or in pub's. Primary doesn't mean only. Of course your High Street should sell shoes, mend clothes, sell homeware, stationary, cards, books etc. However, every High Street should also provide a variety of food products.

With the closure of Budgens, our High Street is no longer doing that, unlike Beckenham, Bromley, Penge, Catford and Forest Hill. I notice there being a lack of variety of food products whenever I go shopping, and realise that there are food items (that are not niche) that I can buy on every other High Street, except ours.

I argue for variety, not against it. I argue that we have enough salons, letting agencies (currently over 10), budget shops (at least 3), betting shops (at least 3). As a local resident I want to see variety. Not 10 of the same.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I'm surprised anyone thinks the retail food offer on Sydenham Road is poor. I'm not a fan of the Tesco Metro, and I'm not going to miss Budgens / the Coop / Safeways much, but I do like the Sainsbury Local, Lidl, and think the Penge Food Centre is great, and Billings brilliant. Also, in its niche way, Wellbeing, and for customer service, Fresh and Fruity.

Maybe I'm lucky, or unadventurous, but the only thing I find I have to go elsewhere for is leaf tea. I also drew a blank buying the spice mace* even in Penge Food Centre, and after I'd looked up what it is in Turkish, but I doubt many other high streets would have that.

So, what am I missing?
Pally

Post by Pally »

Tim Lund wrote:I'm surprised anyone thinks the retail food offer on Sydenham Road is poor. I'm not a fan of the Tesco Metro, and I'm not going to miss Budgens / the Coop / Safeways much, but I do like the Sainsbury Local, Lidl, and think the Penge Food Centre is great, and Billings brilliant. Also, in its niche way, Wellbeing, and for customer service, Fresh and Fruity.

Maybe I'm lucky, or unadventurous, but the only thing I find I have to go elsewhere for is leaf tea. I also drew a blank buying the spice mace* even in Penge Food Centre, and after I'd looked up what it is in Turkish, but I doubt many other high streets would have that.

So, what am I missing?
I agree Tim re retail food offer. Nice variety. I do think the COOP offered something additional.
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

I hope the PO doesn't become like Penge where the PO shares with a mobile phone accessory section, an internet cafe and a section that sells wigs.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

In the Bromley Times:
http://www.bromleytimes.co.uk/news/have ... -1-4972294
Residents around Sydenham are being urged to have their say on proposed changes to their local post office.

Under plans, the Sydenham Road branch could completely refurbished to become a retailer, with a post office service.

A spokesperson from the Post Office said: “It would operate from dedicated, open-plan area and there would also be a Post Office serving point at the retail till. Opening hours would be extended to include Saturday afternoons.”

The new branch would be run on a franchise basis by ZCO Ltd, who run a number of other post offices across the country.

A six-week consultation on proposals gets underway tomorrow (Wednesday, April 12)
I've looked up ZCO ltd and there seems to be very little available about them. No website either. Took it for granted WHSmith would of taken it.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Info on ZCO ltd: https://acocksgreenfocusgroup.org.uk/so ... st-office/

I agree about Penge Post office which is in a pretty dire state. I know the Kentish Town Post Office that ZCO took over. It's full of mobile phone consessions and other clutter. Which is depressing.

I have worked with the Post Office on some of their branches, I've no idea what they are doing at the moment with their stores, they are a strange company. I get the impression that they don't really know what they are doing, what they are or what they want to be.

It works when it's in a WHSmiths reasonably well, and it's great to have banking services there. It would be a shame to go down the Penge route, which is a mess.
Larky

Post by Larky »

I have not read the whole of this thread, but a W H Smiths would be a good addition to the High Street
alywin

Post by alywin »

Likelife wrote:Took it for granted WHSmith would of taken it.
They're not going to open a branch in Sydenham just so we can have a Post Office, though.
alywin

Post by alywin »

leenewham wrote:It works when it's in a WHSmiths reasonably well, and it's great to have banking services there.
Well, that's debatable. The Beckenham branch has sacrificed a lot of retail space to fit the PO in - to the extent that I now can't get some basic office supplies there and have to travel to Croydon :( As for banking services, does Penge not offer that? My previous PO had been offering those for over a decade.