Traffic cameras

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
butters

Traffic cameras

Post by butters »

Can anyone point me in the direction of how you would ask to have cameras put up regarding speeding/running red lights?

Daily, I see cars speeding and running the lights at the junction of the high street and Newlands Park. I have almost been clipped several times by cars speeding round the corner and not realising there's a crossing.

Not sure if I should instead start noting dates times and reg plates and making it a police matter?
chrisj1948

Re: Traffic cameras

Post by chrisj1948 »

butters wrote:Can anyone point me in the direction of how you would ask to have cameras put up regarding speeding/running red lights?
I think they are normally situated where the accident statistics indicate a problem. They are expensive to set up, so there has to be a need.

I live at the Newlands Park / Sydenham Road junction, and I have never felt that speeding vehicles were a particular problem, although the new 20mph limit is generally ignored. Drivers chancing the lights after they have turned red are a real problem, You need to be very careful when exiting from Newlands Park after the lights have turned green.

The biggest problem at the junction is failure to respect the hatched zone, and drivers stopping in the cycle box on Newlands Park so that buses are unable to make the left turn from Sydenham Road. Illegal stopping outside the shops near Billings also creates problems for buses and goods vehicles.

Regards
Chris
Eagle

Re: Traffic cameras

Post by Eagle »

Could do with many more cameras , and also Police on the streets.

Appreciate it is matter of cost.

Perhaps need to reevaluate what is important