Litter in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Kingfisher78

Litter in Sydenham

Post by Kingfisher78 »

Hello

I took a few pictures of the litter that I saw around Sydenham Station Approach and on Sydenham High Street yesterday, as I thought it looked really bad. I have recently seen a lot more litter around Sydenham High Street and wondered what you think?

Spring Hill and the area around the Greyhound and Sainsbury's looked even worse than this, although I don't have any pictures of the area.

Thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141957545 ... res/Wh94vd
syd-gal

Re: Litter in Sydenham

Post by syd-gal »

Yesterday was a ridiculously windy day so litter was blowing everywhere.

The road with the bus stops between Sainsbury's Sava Centre and the other retail shops such as Currys is always incredibly littered on Sundays. I guess it is caused by the crows going through the rubbish bins and pulling out all the food packets from McDs and Sainsburys after a Sat night. I have seen road sweepers working on a Sunday, but not around Sainsburys.
Kingfisher78

Post by Kingfisher78 »

syd-gal wrote:Yesterday was a ridiculously windy day so litter was blowing everywhere.

The road with the bus stops between Sainsbury's Sava Centre and the other retail shops such as Currys is always incredibly littered on Sundays. I guess it is caused by the crows going through the rubbish bins and pulling out all the food packets from McDs and Sainsburys after a Sat night. I have seen road sweepers working on a Sunday, but not around Sainsburys.
Yesterday can be excused because of the weather, but i have recently seen the streets (particularly the Greyhound area and parts of Sydenham High Street) look similarly on days when the weather is pleasant. And i agree, why don't they seem to work around the Sainsbury's area?
butters

Post by butters »

The litter outside the betting shop on the corner of newlands park and the high street is disgusting, they had easily 20 bags of torn apart rubbish strewn across the pavement last week, and the fridge which seemed to live outside has only just gone awol.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I agree re litter particularly around the station approach. I tidied up a load of bags strewn around there last week and regularly see them there ...sometimes burst open. It may be foxes but clearly plastic bag piles of rubbsh is inappropriate, not sure where they come from
syd

Post by syd »

It's pretty bad where I live and I've never seen a road sweeper in my street. There are still leaves from autumn but go to Blackheath or forest hill and it's really clean. It's obvious lewisham council has no time for the "poorer" parts
prince

Post by prince »

I think that the Council do a sterling job in keeping Sydenham clean bearing in mind they are facing an uphill battle with some people littering, dog fouling and fly tipping.

Cleaning around the greyhound and sainsburys is difficult at the moment with all the herris fencing that is there. Hopefully this will be better when the pub is open.
biscuitman1978

Litter in Sydenham

Post by biscuitman1978 »

butters wrote:...the fridge which seemed to live outside has only just gone awol.
It's worth remembering that the council can only deal with fly-tips it knows about.

Fly-tips (and other problems) can be reported to the council at http://www.fixmystreet.com/
scb

Post by scb »

I understood from my wife, who spoke to a friendly road sweeper on Venner Rd in December that cuts were being made in the regularity of their services. He himself was being moved to a different area of Lewisham after many years of working in the area, and sweeps were being done on a less regular basis than before. Hearsay admittedly but could explain the appearance of more rubbish perhaps.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

I've reported fly tipping via fixmystreet several times and the response has always been excellent. Record is less than 24 hours.